And yet another tick disease

Rate this topic

bob_G

About 10 days ago on a Friday night my lab Charlie wasn't right. Off his feed and he has a slight limp.  So I'm concerned. Saturday morning he can barely stand. Shivering, has a fever. We go right to the vet. Fever, lethergy, severe lameness and no appetite. All signs point to a tick related disease. Many hundreds of dollars later, he's diagnosed with anaplamosis. Course of therapy is 3 weeks of doxycycline and 4 days if rimadyl. 

Within 48 he was like his old self. Eating like a hungry dog. Lameness gone.  3 weeks of restricted activity and he should be fine. 

Even though its Dec, watch out for ticks.

The Sultan of Sluggo

7 mins ago, Fuzzytrout said:

ticks are the devil......

I've had lymes, anaplasmosis, and erlichiosis.   Erlichiosis was hands down the worst.

And now I'm allergic to red meat thanks to a tick bite.  

all ticks can rot in hell. 

The doctor that discovered the link between that allergy and the lone star tick allowed himself to get the disease to prove the cause. That's dedication to your profession.

Glad you dog is better, Bob

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

31 mins ago, Fuzzytrout said:

ticks are the devil......

I've had lymes, anaplasmosis, and erlichiosis.   Erlichiosis was hands down the worst.

And now I'm allergic to red meat thanks to a tick bite.  

all ticks can rot in hell. 

Does that include a venison allergy?

The new tick on the horizon is the Asian longhorned tick. Already showing up in this country and is incredibly prolific. It brings new tick borne diseases we've yet to see in this country.  Biologists have said that once this tick establishes itself, it attaches itself to hosts in such numbers as to kill it. This could have a real impact on livestock and deer.

The Sultan of Sluggo

im glad your dog is ok. it's amazing what doxy will do.  It's strong, it's what they use to kill syphilis..... 

they have a vaccine for dogs for lymes now and days, not sure about the other major tick illnesses.

I'm allergic to any animal that comes from a live birth. they say it lasts 5-8 years.

26 mins ago, Fuzzytrout said:

im glad your dog is ok. it's amazing what doxy will do.  It's strong, it's what they use to kill syphilis..... 

they have a vaccine for dogs for lymes now and days, not sure about the other major tick illnesses.

I'm allergic to any animal that comes from a live birth. they say it lasts 5-8 years.

So you're basically down to chicken and fish?

I lost one of my labs to cancer this past May-she was 10 years, 5 months. She had anaplasmosis at about 5 years old-tested positive until the end. 

She also had back to back ACL/knee surgeries, so whenever she was in pain, I was unsure if it was the anaplasmosis (inflammation of joints) or the knees. Her last few years I had to help her get in my truck. She and my other lab were close, and the one who lived had a rough time after the first one was gone-moping around and depressed, unless we were out for walks or retreiving the ball, stick, or frisbee.

Glad your dog is OK. 

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

The new tick on the horizon is the Asian longhorned tick. Already showing up in this country and is incredibly prolific. It brings new tick borne diseases we've yet to see in this country.  Biologists have said that once this tick establishes itself, it attaches itself to hosts in such numbers as to kill it. This could have a real impact on livestock and deer.

It is as far north as Eastern Ct, expected to get into RI by next year. It started in a particular farm in NJ, I forget the details, but right now no one seems to know how it got there.

Fortunately, it has not to date yet to be found carrying any disease, but that could change in the future.

Scariest part is that they do not need to mate to reproduce, the females self impregnate.

The guy the is on WPRO, WPRI ? (630 AM), from the Big Blue Bug at 9-10 AM on Saturday morning has mentioned this new tick often over the past couple of months.

Glad the pup is better..... :)

Edited by Steve in Mass

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

31 mins ago, capequahog said:

How do they diagnose the dog, blood test?

Yup. Just looking at him both the vet and I figured tick related. Blood work confirmed it.  In addition I had them do a full work up on him (not cheap) and that further confirmed anaplasmosis.

The Sultan of Sluggo

I work in the woods, in addition to hunt'in and fish'in. People ask me whats the most dangerous animal in the woods. I sued to say humans, but now ticks are the most dangerous. Really changed persons perception of the great out of doors. 

If you had not seen it, newspaper says that Lyme has now been found in all 48 continential states.