Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rhodyred

Thin braids on baitcasters

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Well I'm about done servicing all my Abu 6500's and have taken off all the thinner braids I used last year 35#'s and under. I got into many jams with the lighter braids no matter if it was Magibraid, Ripcord SI, Whiplash, or Fireline. I did not have difficulties with the 40# braids and higher strengths so I'm going strictly with the 50# + braids. The problems with the line digging into the line below is my worse complaint and bother. Is it just me or does this bother everyone else too? Now I have lots of good 30+35# braid for my spinning reels.

[This message has been edited by rhodyred (edited 03-09-2000).]

[This message has been edited by rhodyred (edited 03-09-2000).]

Rodhyred... If you wind the line very tight when you are filling your spool this should not happen in a levelwind. Non-levelwinds are more prone to present this problem that levelwinds. Did this happen on your levelwind reels also or just on your non-levelwind reels?.

I dont like much using superline on top when casting lures and expecting to catch big fish, because the lure does not put enough pressure to wind the line tight and if a big fish takes the lure very close and makes a strong run, it will have plenty softly winded line below to dig in. I do use superline on top on light reels for certain not too hard pulling fish like pacific seatrout because it's sensitivity and if I hook a very big fish very close I might even put the reel in freespool and let the fish run under convenient (thumb) pressure until they take at least the same distance of my farthest cast, then I start to put in some serious pressure.

It is very probable that the superline beneath the first 100 yds of the spool in your reels is in very good condition.

If your reel is a levewind, I would take some superline away to make space for 100 - 125 yds of mono top shot of a little bit less lb test than the superline. But before joining the mono top shot, unwind all the line and wind it back under tension (having someone putting pressure to the line with a leather or heavy cloth glove should be enough). I would then use an Alberto Knot and as second choice an Albright to join the mono top shot to the superline running line. The superline will be there just waiting for that big fish to get into your backing and you will replace the mono as needed. Used in this way the superline will remain tight as you are not going to wind it loose as if when winding back a lure with the superline on top. Something else is that the line is away from the sun and abrasion that the mono takes. You need to replace just the topshot to be back with your reel in top line condition and also have all the extra line a superline backing gives you.

Dont worry about loosing tension on the superline below, because a fish that is able to take all your topshot away, will surely put enough and even pressure on your superline to prevent digging afterwards.

Hope this helps.

Sergio

Hi Sergio, It happens to me with the levelwinds. I use either mono or 50# braid on my CT reels and they have been fine. I always assumed it was from the thin diameter of the braids only because when I use the 50# or 65# braids the digging in does not occur. It very well could be the way I spool up the line & I never gave that any thought because it wasn't happening with the 50# braids I use. Do you tie your superlines direct to the spool? I use mono backing (maybe 20 yds or less)and that has worked out pretty good and has not been a problem yet. I do have a couple of reels that this digging in never happened to but I'm going to use larger dia. braid on them just the same. My BG 6500HCL has 40# Magibraid and that has worked out ok. I will take all of your reply into my brain and try and figure this out some more. Thanks

rodhyred... I think you should try spooling the braids tighter. The reason of why the levelwinds are better for preventing line digging IMO is because they always lay automatically the line across the lower layer and never in line with it. I usually give tension with my left thumb and index finger and a glove when spooling levelwinds. If alone I might be able to guide almost perfectly the line with my left thumb on my the C3-CT Mag, but then I would not be able to give tension. That is my guess as I have not spooled braided line in a non levelwind reel for a long time. The last time I used a non levelwind reel spooled with braided line (by a friend of mine), a pretty nice sized yellowfin tuna almost pulled me overboard when the line dug into the lower layers on a tight drag and I was lucky I slammed against the outboard and did not dived in front of the three other lures.

In those ocassions that I tie superlines directly to the spool, I use gray duct tape over a few turns to prevent slipage and have never had a problem. The way you are doing it is fine also.

I dont like abraded lines at all and change lines very frequently (sometimes two or even three times a week on the same reel if fishing from the rocks) and using the mono topshot I dont have to refill all the reel. Also because the superline is of a higher test (even considering the before discussed undertesting) I dont think I loose much strength using the Alberto knot when joining mono to superline. Try the Alberto knot if you have not done before and you will be surprised at how streamlined the knot can be.

Buena Suerte!

Sergio

Ah yes Sergio, I remember now the post a few weeks ago when you said you use duct tape to tie direct. I should have remembered it was you. Sorry. I will start cranking this line down a lot tighter. Like you said the weight of the lighter plugs could start this digging into the line again. That makes perfect sense to me. Thanks Sergio

Rhodyred:

Perhaps I could give you some insight here.

When using braids on non levelwind reels we tend to criscross the braid more often. The braid then doesn't have a chance to dig. Standard levelwinds lay the braid along side the previous turn. Once there is lots of pressure on the braid it will tend to dig.

Abu has made this realization and has put levelwind on their high end reels that lays line in a "triple cross" configuration.This arangement cris crosses the line over itself so it cant dig.

You may want to give Abu(Purefishn?)a call or E-mail and ask what models have that feature and if there is a way the levelwind could be upgraded.From what I gather, I think the Morrum is the only series with this feature, but I could be wrong. Or like you mentioned, use braids on your CT reels and lay the line on yourself.(Lots cheaper that buying a Morrum).

Rhodyred...Sergio has actually surprised me his insightful and obviously experienced answer! Sergio...two thumbs up indeed...you are in the upper escelon of understanding the braid...this will server you well all the days of your fishing life wink.gif Hat's off to you! Believe it or not, I don't even have anything to add to Sergio's answers...they are 100% correct..I will just agree with them. Rhodyred, the reason you are likely finding the thinner braids to dig more than the thick ones is in fact just the tension they are put on the spool with. The prefessa gives an explanation that would also be 100% correct is you had replied to Sergio's initial suggestion with a "yes, my lines are put on VERY tight". As the Prefessa has noted, there are some reels with level winds that will not cross the line in wide enough angles. Mostly, older ones...if the line is tight, most level winds will give sufficient angle to the wraps...if the line is loose, the angle needs to be greater than all the levelwinds, bar the Morrum (ah, there is no greater happiness than admiring the fine crafstmanship and desing in the Morrum...mine's a 7700SX...before they called them "Morrum"...but it's a tank and a work of art!)

Putting the line on when you initially spool up....wear a glove on the non winding hand...throw a few wraps of braid around the palm...squeeze..now reel the line on...the first 3/4 of the spool filling should be almost painfully tight! The last portion, or the casting part should be put on with just slightly less than painful tension...as the Wordmeister pointed out a few days ago...to fill the entire spool under painfully tight tension will leave you with an over filled spool after but one long cast when the line goes back on the spool with "nowhere near painful" tension.

The biggest cause rhodyred is exactly what Sergio stated....the lures I/we/you use do not put enough tension on the lines during a normal retrieve. Even great crosswraps of braid when under little pressure will dig deeply into 5 or 6 layers of loose braid should you hook up. The great thing about non-levelwinds in this situation is that I add a little of my own tension while manually level winding the line when fishing lures that don't put enough tension on the line by themselves. I've tried this with level wind reels...it's just too hard to follow the levelwind with your thumb and pointer finger and concentrate on the fishing!

You guys make me proud biggrin.gif

TimS

Prefessa... Seems that the triple cross feature you described could let me use skipping lures on roosterfish without the mono top shot (at least until the front portion of the superline wears and needs to be replaced).

I personally have never had a problem of any superline digging into the lower layers with my level winds when the backing line was spooled properly, even when a roosterfish takes more than 100 yds of 20 lb superline backing out in a non stop run and under a tight drag, but I also should point out that although I have used braids, I use most frecuently a not ultra thin braid, but Fireline as backing and that as I said before, the backing is NEVER winded loosely as is the mono topshot the line that winds in the lure.

The danger in the non-levelwinds IMO is not under a perfectly winded spool (as you said the more angled winding should prevent digging), but in those ocassions (not applicable to experts I guess) where inadvertently a few layers are winded on top of others. A few layers winded on top of the most previous others will not happen with a levelwind even if the fisherman is very drunk smile.gif or thinking in the "eternity of the crab".

I wonder if that "triple cross configuration" change would affect the casting atributes of the 6500CSMag.

Thanks for the comment on the Morrum.

Sergio

Hi Tim... seems that we were writing at the same time and you posted a little bit sooner and I did not have a chance to read your previous post smile.gif.

As you own a Morrum maybe you could tell us if that "triple cross configuration" is CLEARLY more forgiving than the normal one found in the 6500CSMag to prevent line digging when winding superlines under low tension.

Thanks for your comments.

Hope to fish with all of you guys some day!

Sergio

[This message has been edited by Sergio (edited 03-10-2000).]

I've never had a problem with braids on the Abu's with the Triple Cross feature. I've been faithfull to the 14# firleline (6# mono diameter) on this reel for about 5 years now. Thrown everything from light plugs to largemouths to 2 oz. plugs for muskys and stripers. If your buying an Abu, I would recommend this feature. I cann't speak about the other models though. I'll let you know how my new Calcutta holds up to the stuff.

Big help form everyone,Thanks. I own quite a few different Abu levelwinds & 2 CT's.Just my bad luck I do not own a Morrum. The triple cross sounds pretty cool and state of the art. Things did seem a little easier before I used braids but I've gotten to like fishing with them and can't see giving up on them now. Great answers guys thanks again.

I don't have the problem you mentioned using Cortland Spectron. Use 50 LB where ever the capacity limits of the 6500 size reels will allow. For areas where you are casting a long way , you have to drop down to 35 LB if you are using a 6500 size reel. No problem with line dig at either size but the 50 LB is way better for fishing IMO. I have that line on one Morrum , 2 Mag E's , One BG6500CL and one 6500C4 and one UC6500C. No problems on any of them (all levelwinds).

Guys:

A quick phone call to Abu revealed that the "Triple Cross" feature is only available on their smaller reels like the Morrum 2600 and 3600.

The real fix is to as Tim and Sergio have indicated is to spool them on tight and use braids of reasonable diameter.

Saltheart: The codfish fleet out of Green Harbor Mass. can't say enough about 50# Spectron. They use theirs without a mono leader. They just tie directly to their cod rig. This must be one tuff braid. Most braids don't handle being rubbed on the underside of the boat.