Thumb-Burner

ST Croix Triumph - Please tell me i’m smart. :(

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Thumb-Burner said:

Please get me over my buyers remorse.  No one near me has the st. Croix to look over..    I did tons of research and it was honestly all over the board as i know rods are “personal preference” to a large degree.   

I just got a new “Blem” Triumph 10’ 3/4-4 spinner.  Hoping to use for bottom fishing for small fare (whiting, trout, etc.) at obx and would love it to be able to serve as a decent plugging rod when i get up north hopefully this fall.    I got it for $105 shipped.   I’m smart, right?  I’m not dumb, right?  LOL

I have used st croix triumph's for 6 years now and really like them.  Mine broke twice but was not the rods fault lol i was trying to pull loose from a snag on my yak in heavy current and snapped in half.  Other break was on a 5' brown shark on a 7' triumph which i high sticked the whole time. I have fought big cow noses and 30lb flatheads with no problems. 

I have a 9 ft Triumph surf. Its their bottom of the line surf rod. That being said the blank is great. Casts far. I however had to replace several guides.

3 hours ago, BromBones said:

Just out of curiosity, why would you only use this rod for small fare?  Savage Gear, Berkeley, and other bait manufacturers make soft bait crab imitations that are 1 Oz.  Check out Hogy too for crab baits.  Why not use this for Redfish?  Would be a perfect rod for Winter Stripers at OBX too! 

It will be for whatever bites.  I don't think winter stripers from surf have been a thing for years unfortunately.

Most fishing for big redfish in obx is 5-10 oz and bait.  I have good rods for that.

My bubby has the 10’. I have the 9’ and 10.5’ Triumph. I think they are great rods for the money.  I also have the 10’ mojo 1-4 oz and wish I bought the 10’ triumph instead.  The 10’ triumph has a softer tip and is therefore better as a light bait rod for the whiting and other small game you will be using it for.  You will be able to lean into casting with 3 oz and lob 4 oz with small bait.   The 10’ triumph has enough backbone for any bass or bluefish you will catch on the surf. 

Its an entry level rod from a premium company, just like my Lami Surf king, they work! The fish don't care if they are being hauled in by a rod that cost $100 or $1000.

Love  mine, Broke my top on vacation  last year (my fault).Ordered  new top(30 bucks)was at my  house  when  I  got  home from  vacation. Entry  level  rod top shelf service. 

Not sure bout the newer models but the older rods could beach almost any beast.

The 10 was real good to me. Even the 9 worked well but stuck with the 10' 99.9% of the time.