Thumb-Burner

ST Croix Triumph - Please tell me i’m smart. :(

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Please get me over my buyers remorse.  No one near me has the st. Croix to look over..    I did tons of research and it was honestly all over the board as i know rods are “personal preference” to a large degree.   

I just got a new “Blem” Triumph 10’ 3/4-4 spinner.  Hoping to use for bottom fishing for small fare (whiting, trout, etc.) at obx and would love it to be able to serve as a decent plugging rod when i get up north hopefully this fall.    I got it for $105 shipped.   I’m smart, right?  I’m not dumb, right?  LOL

I think you may have been able to find it even cheaper here if you started a WTB thread in the BST.  Still thou not a bad price however what is the blem you are referring to?

To each their own, id say 90% of my surf and boat rods are st. Croix and i have yet to have one fail me(knock on wood). Be smart how you use it, dont overload it or high stick etc., i see too damn many people on here bashin st. Croix for the problems caused by the user and not the product. St. Croix, to me are the best $ for $ rod out there.

10ft is a decent sized rod to be traveling with.  Make sure you got a way to put it securely withut damaing her.

3/4 to 4.  You might be better on bass than whititng and trout.  As long as your head is in the game watching the tip and you don't do an orlando wilson hook set, you should be ok for the little critters.

My .02.  I just started surfcasting this and purchased (2) Mojos. A 9' and 10'-6.  I did research and it played into my decision because they have a decent warranty.  So far I'm happy.  Good luck.

You’re smart.  That is a good rod and $105 is a good price for that rod.  Need proof?  Just YouTube Fishaholic TV.  Rich has used that rod for years and has caught lots big fish on that in Rhode Island and Montauk. He used a 9ft 1/2-2 Triumph for years and it has handled every fish he’s hooked with ease.  The 3/4 to 4 will be a great plugging rod, but you will still be able to throw light bucktails and SP minnows in the back bays.  

It was a good purchase but if you need more assurance, just go to Fishaholic TV on YouTube and see for yourself.  Btw...I have a 9ft 3/4-4 Surf Mojo and love it.

Just out of curiosity, why would you only use this rod for small fare?  Savage Gear, Berkeley, and other bait manufacturers make soft bait crab imitations that are 1 Oz.  Check out Hogy too for crab baits.  Why not use this for Redfish?  Would be a perfect rod for Winter Stripers at OBX too! 

Not sure what the fishing like down there .. but tossing 2-3oz and small bait shouldn’t be a problem maybe 4oz with a lob . your not  gonna power cast 3-4oz with it but it will send it ... should be fine for plugs from 3/4- 2.5 / 3oz 

2 mins ago, Wire For Fire said:

Not sure what the fishing like down there .. but tossing 2-3oz and small bait shouldn’t be a problem maybe 4oz with a lob . your not  gonna power cast 3-4oz with it but it will send it ... should be fine for plugs from 3/4- 2.5 / 3oz 

This is why you have more than one rod for different applications. If youre lobbing a cast using lures then you are doing the wrong type of fishing with the wrong type of rod. A 3/4-4 rod isnt going to behave the same way as a 1-4 or 2-6.