JuvenileTortoise

NJ Lake Trout from shore

7 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I've been on a fishing hiatus as of recently. I've decided on trying my luck at Round Valley from the shore this weekend. I plan on throwing lures and walking along the bank for the better part of a day.

I plan on using Little Cleos and Pheobes mostly, 2.75" tubes on jig heads, 2" keitech style swimbaits and Rapala X-Raps in the XR-08 size.

I might bring a rod for bait and keep it in the car if the day ends up being that bad but I prefer fishing lures. This lake always kicks my ass but I'm determined to figure it out. I usually fish it from my kayak for smallies in the warmer months and have had some luck. I really wanna get a lake trout though and I hear that these colder months are usually best even from shore. Anyone have any tips?

The youtuber Seamoney had a video on it. I love that place was like a 2nd home for me as a kid up through college. Used to go there a lot to hike, bike and fish from shore and boat but now live in MoCo so now Im hooked on the surf. As for tips..never tried fishing for lakers from shore so Im limited on what advice I can give but basically they roam quite deep in the water column. The spots you fish from will need to be able to have that deep water within casting range. Like I said I havent been there in a while but I think there's 2 spots that I can think of that might meet the requirement. Im curious to hear how you do...might have to try it myself.

4 hours ago, adams54 said:

The youtuber Seamoney had a video on it. I love that place was like a 2nd home for me as a kid up through college. Used to go there a lot to hike, bike and fish from shore and boat but now live in MoCo so now Im hooked on the surf. As for tips..never tried fishing for lakers from shore so Im limited on what advice I can give but basically they roam quite deep in the water column. The spots you fish from will need to be able to have that deep water within casting range. Like I said I havent been there in a while but I think there's 2 spots that I can think of that might meet the requirement. Im curious to hear how you do...might have to try it myself.

There's one spot in particular from Sea Money's video that I've been to. I hooked into something that peeled drag for a solid few seconds before it let go. That's the closest I've ever been to a laker ): lost a lot more jigs in that area though before I called it a day. Was a pretty expensive day for sure...

Sounds like you got closer to one then I ever have. Seems like losing a few jigs might just be the cost of doing business for what it is you're trying to do. I think live bait is the way to go tbh. I'd try those spots on the yak if it were me. I guess doing it from shore is its own badge of pride.

On 12/18/2018 at 1:38 PM, adams54 said:

Sounds like you got closer to one then I ever have. Seems like losing a few jigs might just be the cost of doing business for what it is you're trying to do. I think live bait is the way to go tbh. I'd try those spots on the yak if it were me. I guess doing it from shore is its own badge of pride.

Walked the entire edge from Ranger's cove to the boat ramp casting for a a few hours. Threw jigs and keitechs, inline spinners and a Pheobe. Nothing but a few small bass. I'll probably be trying it again sometime soon if a day comes where my guides won't be freezing over. Saw a few guys catch some rainbows off powerbait though.

the only time i have ever caught lakers from shore was on nasty snotty days with a good blow. caught them on sawbellies and cleos in a spot that my casts were landing in about 40' but hits were around 20' 

I don't think lakers come from the depths very often. If you have a yak i would use that to target them and save the shore for bass and bows. 

15 mins ago, BrianZ said:

the only time i have ever caught lakers from shore was on nasty snotty days with a good blow. caught them on sawbellies and cleos in a spot that my casts were landing in about 40' but hits were around 20' 

I don't think lakers come from the depths very often. If you have a yak i would use that to target them and save the shore for bass and bows. 

Thanks for the info. I met a fellow out there who showed me a few lakers he's caught recently. He told me he even got a one off of power bait and that they were really hungry for anything. It seems that the hardest part is just waiting for them to come in close. I'm going to be giving it another shot this weekend, maybe I'll fair better.