JuvenileTortoise

NJ Lake Trout from shore

14 posts in this topic

Hey all,

 

I've been on a fishing hiatus as of recently. I've decided on trying my luck at Round Valley from the shore this weekend. I plan on throwing lures and walking along the bank for the better part of a day.

 

I plan on using Little Cleos and Pheobes mostly, 2.75" tubes on jig heads, 2" keitech style swimbaits and Rapala X-Raps in the XR-08 size.

 

I might bring a rod for bait and keep it in the car if the day ends up being that bad but I prefer fishing lures. This lake always kicks my ass but I'm determined to figure it out. I usually fish it from my kayak for smallies in the warmer months and have had some luck. I really wanna get a lake trout though and I hear that these colder months are usually best even from shore. Anyone have any tips?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The youtuber Seamoney had a video on it. I love that place was like a 2nd home for me as a kid up through college. Used to go there a lot to hike, bike and fish from shore and boat but now live in MoCo so now Im hooked on the surf. As for tips..never tried fishing for lakers from shore so Im limited on what advice I can give but basically they roam quite deep in the water column. The spots you fish from will need to be able to have that deep water within casting range. Like I said I havent been there in a while but I think there's 2 spots that I can think of that might meet the requirement. Im curious to hear how you do...might have to try it myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, adams54 said:

The youtuber Seamoney had a video on it. I love that place was like a 2nd home for me as a kid up through college. Used to go there a lot to hike, bike and fish from shore and boat but now live in MoCo so now Im hooked on the surf. As for tips..never tried fishing for lakers from shore so Im limited on what advice I can give but basically they roam quite deep in the water column. The spots you fish from will need to be able to have that deep water within casting range. Like I said I havent been there in a while but I think there's 2 spots that I can think of that might meet the requirement. Im curious to hear how you do...might have to try it myself.

There's one spot in particular from Sea Money's video that I've been to. I hooked into something that peeled drag for a solid few seconds before it let go. That's the closest I've ever been to a laker ): lost a lot more jigs in that area though before I called it a day. Was a pretty expensive day for sure...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you got closer to one then I ever have. Seems like losing a few jigs might just be the cost of doing business for what it is you're trying to do. I think live bait is the way to go tbh. I'd try those spots on the yak if it were me. I guess doing it from shore is its own badge of pride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2018 at 1:38 PM, adams54 said:

Sounds like you got closer to one then I ever have. Seems like losing a few jigs might just be the cost of doing business for what it is you're trying to do. I think live bait is the way to go tbh. I'd try those spots on the yak if it were me. I guess doing it from shore is its own badge of pride.

Walked the entire edge from Ranger's cove to the boat ramp casting for a a few hours. Threw jigs and keitechs, inline spinners and a Pheobe. Nothing but a few small bass. I'll probably be trying it again sometime soon if a day comes where my guides won't be freezing over. Saw a few guys catch some rainbows off powerbait though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the only time i have ever caught lakers from shore was on nasty snotty days with a good blow. caught them on sawbellies and cleos in a spot that my casts were landing in about 40' but hits were around 20' 

I don't think lakers come from the depths very often. If you have a yak i would use that to target them and save the shore for bass and bows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, BrianZ said:

the only time i have ever caught lakers from shore was on nasty snotty days with a good blow. caught them on sawbellies and cleos in a spot that my casts were landing in about 40' but hits were around 20' 

I don't think lakers come from the depths very often. If you have a yak i would use that to target them and save the shore for bass and bows. 

Thanks for the info. I met a fellow out there who showed me a few lakers he's caught recently. He told me he even got a one off of power bait and that they were really hungry for anything. It seems that the hardest part is just waiting for them to come in close. I'm going to be giving it another shot this weekend, maybe I'll fair better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

Pay attention to the Solar Tables there.  I used to fish for Rainbows in Round Valley and the Solar Highs were the peak times for success.

Very interesting. Don't think I've ever heard of these Solar Tables so now I've got some reading to do. I'll try to pay attention to that next time I get around to going out there!

PS: Love your bucktails!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JuvenileTortoise said:

Very interesting. Don't think I've ever heard of these Solar Tables so now I've got some reading to do. I'll try to pay attention to that next time I get around to going out there!

PS: Love your bucktails!

In a nutshell there are major and minor periods of wildlife activity every day.  Those change everyday depending on the sun and moon positions and moon phases.  The majors are generally about an hour to an hour and half long and the minors are about a half hour.  

A google search on "Solunar tables" will give you a lot more information and times per location.

I used to fish Rainbows in Round Valley in March and October using the tables with good success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 mins ago, cweed said:

Shiners r the only thing that catches lakers from what I've ever while fishing there

 

When the blade jig bite is on...it's on.

 

Binsky and keitech easy shiners are the only two artificials you'll ever need at that place for lakers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lakers come to shoreline from the deep now to feed. This is the only time you will catch them from shoreline before it warms up then they return to the deep. Catching can be tricky. But as said above. You have to wait for them. Ive caught them on lipless crank baits and jerk baits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.