BillHassan

Fly Fishing Magazines

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Like others, I have stopped all fishing magazines subscriptions. I still pick up Drake at the bookstore occasionally. After 60 years of fishing my brain can’t hold any more “new” information.

I subscribe to the Drake and Anglers Journal.  I enjoy reading them, and the photography is great, especially in Angler's Journal.  I agree that the ads can be a bit much, but I mostly just ignore them. 

I like the Drake and Fly fishing Journal, mostly because the photography is usually different than the grip and grins. I also enjoyed Eastern Fly fishing (they have others for different areas of the country) because it was all about places within a few states drive of me. Not everyone can fish Kamchatka or Patagonia, so it was nice to read about some no name places within a few hours drive.

20 hours ago, Fishin Technician said:

I just wish that I still had my original 1960 Superman comic books including the annuals.  :banghd:

FT

Man.... That hurts...

Mort Weisinger, Jerry Siegel, Otto binder. Not to go nerd, but man....

Back on topic. I subscribe to almost all of my magazines digitally. I switched over about 3 years ago; it was game changer.

Used to enjoy Saltwater Flyfishing till it went belly up. Also used to enjoy Drake too, but it got to be mostly salmon and steelies and I dropped it

Yes there are others like Fly Fusion & Catch, but I am letting them expire except for Tail.

Life is reminding me more of banks, that figured out long ago that if they could charge all their account holders and extra $1.00/ month for some fee or other, it was just a recurring income stream. More & more $$ out the door for what?  I would rather spend the $ doing something.  Maybe I'm just getting old (;-).

Of course, u tube is great for all the fly tying vids & fixing, tear downs, etc. so that usually helps.

Not exactly a magazine, but I got the new Cabela's/Bass Pro "master catalog" the other day.  Out of a 600 page catalog, there are maybe 10 pages of fly fishing stuff.  Pretty lame, and honestly, sending a catalog that large when most people shop online is a waste of a lot of paper.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:52 AM, teedee said:

Like others, I have stopped all fishing magazines subscriptions. I still pick up Drake at the bookstore occasionally. After 60 years of fishing my brain can’t hold any more “new” information.

I'm forgetting half of what I ever learned.....

FT

The Internet has certainly weeded out numerous print projects, but the content quality is usually poor, at at best inconsistent. 

Ive subscribed to Anglers Journal and liked the photography, but found myself a bit critical of the writing. I probably will go back for another sub 

I’d love a “sporting” magazine that included fly fishing, some spin or conventional, but not how to cut a Bunker, some waterfowl or bird hunting, some beer / wine / food, maybe a thought provoking piece on what’s happening in some coastal communities or regions like Catskills where we tend to spend much of our time and money,   But I know I’m a statistical outlier.  I understand most average guys want to read about spots where they can limit out and fill the cooler 

Posted (edited) · Report post

All of the above mentioned magazines are good reads. *

Edited by TimS
Please don't post commercial site URL's here - check out the guidelines at top of the page - thanks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/1/2019 at 10:11 AM, Big Flounder said:

All of the above mentioned magazines are good reads. *

Yeah Eastern Fly Fishing is good. 

One of the few magazines where you can scroll through a ton of back issues and download the issues you want to buy for iPad reading 

Edited by TimS
quote edited

Fly Fishing in saltwater, Fly tyer and the Drake are a coffee table staple. It sucks that Fly fishing in saltwater went under a lot of good articles came from there.

This thread induced a spasm of housecleaning in my cellar.  Fly Fishing in Salt Water is the largest part of the inventory, and I'm saving some, either for the step-by-step pieces or detailed comments on particular places that I might, actually, someday fish. Rule out the Seychelles, Fiji, Bora Bora, Christmas Island, and the Jardin de los Reinas (?).  Keep the articles on Long Beach Island (N.J.) and a few other locations.

Some of the decision making is easy.  Water condensation from a pipe ruined half of the magazines anyway ..... alas, as I go through them, I keep stopping to reread this-or-that. A pleasant way to waste time, though.