BillHassan

Fly Fishing Magazines

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

The other day I was cleaning up in my office and came upon some magazines. They are way too nice to throw away, so I usually give them away to 

a fisherman friend.
I used to subscribe to all of the major FF mags, but after 25+ years if I saw another grip and grin pic of a (pick your fish) with a guy wearing a XXXXX jacket holding a XXXX rod I was gonna' scream.
If that wasn't the cover, you could be sure that you'd have a crusty looking Montana guide in his driftboat with his dog at the bow. (The dog was always named Sage. -It must be a law out there).
Anyway, if you have been soured with FF mags and you haven't checked these out, I recommend them highly.
(BTW, I don't get these for free, I buy them like anyone else)

TAIL
FLYFISHING JOURNAL
ANGLERS JOURNAL
THE DRAKE
STRUNG  (Just got issue 1 sent to me, it looks great)

These all have great photography with excellent writing and are printed on glossy stock. You won't be reading the same articles each and every year.

Check them out.
I'm sure there are other excellent mags out there, but these are the ones in my stack.

Best of the season!

I am sure that the Magazines you listed are all high quality and the photography is spectacular but I am one of those people who has let all of my subscriptions expire because what I found myself doing was I did not read the articles but would instead first go page by page looking at all the adds and the second time through look at the pictures and if an article did for some reason catch my eye I would read it. Unfortunately that did did not happen very often. In most cases within  30 minutes I was done and the magazine went into the pile with all the others. I just felt let the subscriptions expire because I could not justify the expense. 

The only magazine I would have continued my subscription to if it did not go belly up would be “ Shallow Water Angler”.

I once poured over all those mags, as well as the unmentioned FR&R, FF and others. Used to read them all, mostly cover to cover. Now, 20+ years later, the internet has me doing same thing as Dick, scan, scan again, read little, if I ever get to it. Piles of magazine next to my bed, begging to be read. 

Similar for novels, tough to read one cover to cover. Mostly audiobooks these days. 

The internet and the short attention span it creates has broken me. 

52 mins ago, bonefishdick said:

Unfortunately that did did not happen very often. In most cases within  30 minutes I was done and the magazine went into the pile with all the others.

I really do not need someone to tell me how I should reinvent what I already own and know at a higher cost.

Thirty years ago I went through my 1960-80 collection of Rod and reel , FF, Sports Afield, Outdoor life..........and did a quick re-read and put them in the burn barrel. But I did scan the good info to a pdf.

Most places that these mags post today for destinations are out of reach for the majority of the everyday ff' er.

I just wish that I still had my original 1960 Superman comic books including the annuals.  :banghd:

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician

In the late 80s/early 90s I read Gray's Sporting Journal a lot. I liked it because, like Angler's Journal there were a lot of articles on things I don't do, bird hunting, big game fishing, etc. A lot of FF specific mags I read got more into how-to than I was interested in reading so like BFD I looked at pics and read ads. I still have a couple old Gray's I kept and read a good bit now and then...

I am a guy that loves to fish, have been that way forever.  I have fished at some extremely competitive levels and in some exotic places.  I devoured articles and magazines.  at one time I took about 5 years worth of Bassmaster magazines and clipped articles that mattered regarding techniques and put them into a binder organized by topic.   I did it so I could refresh myself when something ceased working for me.  Skills fail when we get away from the strong foundation we built by picking up a bad habit here and there, sort of like when we get a hiccup in our fly casting.   We have to go back to squares and rework our skill.  Most of the time the skill comes back quickly because we identified the error and corrected it.  I went through the articles maybe 15 years later and laughed.  All the more modern articles I had been reading were the same as the old articles I had cut out, just with new nomenclature or a different lure.   There is little that is new in fishing,  many subtle refinements have occurred but little is revolutionary.   New rods are faster, more sensitive and more powerful but the old rules of casting and operation still apply.  I don't subscribe to many magazines anymore and the ones that I do its more about places than parts.  There's more good info on one thread of this forum regarding a tailing loop than I could find in five magazine articles because there more opinions and experience to draw from.  So I save the subscription dollars, I save the disillusionment at the end of the articles andd come here and read first hand details of how people figured out how to make it work.  I lived for 4 years in Cape Coral Fl. in the 70"s  Never fly fished the outer beach for snook on Sanibel.  We fished the canals on the cape, Matlacha and the rose garden area with flies for snook and reds.  Now I fish outside with success because of BFD's posts.  He talks about the subtleties that you never see in an article, which end of the ditch they are setting up in, on which tide.  He tells you what he learned whether he caught or not,.  Same with the other folks here regarding albies or stripers.  Nope, keep the magazines, this kind of forum works much better. JMHO

Recently got an issue of swing the fly magazine and have found it to have great articles.  Definitely for those that enjoy two handers as the name kinda would lead you to imagine.

3 hours ago, Walnut said:

I really enjoy Tail and also The Drake....  Both good reads.

Wow don't google "I really enjoy Tail" and select "images" or "videos" if you have company. Don't ask me how I (just) learned this....

11 hours ago, flyman28 said:

….. BFD's posts.  He talks about the subtleties that you never see in an article, which end of the ditch they are setting up in, on which tide.  He tells you what he learned whether he caught or not,.  Same with the other folks here regarding albies or stripers.  Nope, keep the magazines, this kind of forum works much better. JMHO

Well stated and insightful.