Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aneary

Red Tide Sanibel?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Have a friend that is heading down to Sanibel end of this week, called to ask me if it's worth bringing the fishing gear. I'm an east coaster, has the re tide cleared up there yet and if so are there any fish left on the beach ?

The latest red tide map from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Dec. 17th 2018 shows little to no red tide concentrations along the Gulf coast or anywhere in the state.

Hi Hook, I did go out to the site, after I posted this, and saw the same as you, thanks. I wonder how the fishing is in that area since the tides hit it so hard this year?

Aneary, just let your friend know to have a second location to fish if the fishing isn’t doing good. He can fish from shore at Ding Darling. I haven’t heard anything about Sanibel causeway in way of fishing. Third hand knowledge, a guy I know was telling me he was talking to another guy that was from Sanibel and is fishing in estero bay from shore. He hasn’t had much luck fishing for the beach on Sanibel. 

If you’d like I can PM some info for him of where I’ve been fishing. I’m fishing Bonita springs, estero Bay Area. 

How long is he in town? Next weekend I can’t fish at all, but the weekend prior to Christmas I can. I’d be willing to take him out on a kayak. If he has his own, he’s more than welcome to tag along. 

Tom 

1 hour ago, aneary said:

Hi Hook, I did go out to the site, after I posted this, and saw the same as you, thanks. I wonder how the fishing is in that area since the tides hit it so hard this year?

I don't fish that far south 

18 mins ago, BrianBM said:

For that matter, I wonder how the birds have fared this winter in Ding Darling. A lot of them are fish eaters.

There have been a lot of birds basically falling from the sky in Collier county area. The birds are being picked up and most are dying before they can get some style of assistance. The birds Are by most part terns. 

FWC, just came out with the birds are sick for the red tide. They eat the fish and other food items from the gulf. Collier County originally stated we don’t know why. 

Red tide may be gone in actual areas currently but it’s affetcs are still killing. 

Hi guys, thanks for the info. Tom, he’s flying in from CT, so he won’t have his kayak, but thank you for the generous offer.  Sounds like the red tide continues to take its toll, very disturbing. 

I read my usual red tide newsletter today, which comes weekly from Florida Fish & Wildlife. Lee County, which includes Sanibel, still has enough red tide algae to cause some cases of respiratory distress. 

Damn. 

We haven’t walked on the beach since July.

Anyone I speak to isn’t catching fish in the bay. You have to fish the outer edges to find fish. 

Spoke to an FWC officer the other day. Kidding with him, did you catch any today. He said, there’s nothing there to catch. Not many people are fishing. This was in Naples at Naples yacht club. 

Stone crabbers are not having a good season. Numbers are just not there. Some are considering a different line of work. Honestly with the red tide, why didn’t the FWC just close the season for this year. Everyone knows they were affected too and why stress them anymore. I wouldn’t eat a crab from these waters. 

That would be a nice Christmas present for those hard working fishermen, more gubmint regulation and more hard working ppl out of business, waaay to go :th:

On 12/17/2018 at 6:55 PM, BrianBM said:

For that matter, I wonder how the birds have fared this winter in Ding Darling. A lot of them are fish eaters.

Brian what most are hoping to see return are the white Pelicans return to DD . I have already seen them return in Tampa Bay this year fishing the flats . I posted a few pics last year but my camera work is bad so I post up this vid is much better . My guide was out scouting yesterday for my solo guide trip from Wednesday , plenty of fish Reds ,Snook ,Jacks water is clean ( except the upper parts due to plenty of rain this wee k but that's normal for that much rain ) is looking good . Thought you would like this