Beastly Backlash

Winter Walleye 2018-2019

54 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, TJones said:

Love cold water walleye fishing in our local rivers... one of my favorite things is the bi-catch can get interesting at times!

 

This toothy rascal surprised me the other night... Dad and I hit a local spot under what seemed like perfect conditions. Not a bump for what seemed like forever, until the water erupted and this dragon ate my rapala, lol.A3A71839-4A8C-425F-AEC4-35593631E140.png.a3b4e6c97e73d5ddc83d07b8c395b978.png

 

That is some awesome by catch!

 

Tip for next time, keep a musky rod with you for those times where a walleye bite should be hot, but turns out dead. They are usually hiding from something much bigger.

 

I caught my PB ski that way. Eyes were hot then the bite died abruptly, I picked up my musky rod that had a sucker crankbait on it then wham on the next cast.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

 

That is some awesome by catch!

 

Tip for next time, keep a musky rod with you for those times where a walleye bite should be hot, but turns out dead. They are usually hiding from something much bigger.

 

I caught my PB ski that way. Eyes were hot then the bite died abruptly, I picked up my musky rod that gad a sucker crankbait on it then wham on the next cast.

Thanks BB! That’s a great tip man... sometimes it could pay to bring your musky gear along for sure. Before catching that fish Dad and I were commenting how there may have been an active musky or two that had them spooked—turned out that may been true.

 

One of my favorite things about walleye is the way they hit or “chomp” a bait... Much less subtle than most bass in cold water.

Edited by TJones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, TJones said:

Thanks BB! That’s a great tip man... sometimes it could pay to bring your musky gear along for sure. Before catching that fish Dad and I were commenting how there may have been an active musky or two that had them spooked—turned out that may been true.

 

One of my favorite things about walleye is the way they hit or “chomp” a bait... Much less subtle than most bass in cold water.

I like that "chomp" feeling myself.

 

Last night though I could not get past the buffalo as they were slamming my stick baits before the walleye could. Unfortunately, because buffalo have such small mouths it is incredibly difficult to keep hooked up as the hooks have to catch just right on their lips.

 

The one fish that stayed pinned on sky rocketed out of the water about 3ft twice in a row right after the hook up.

 

I don't know why, but in cold water buffalo become very aggressive and predatory.

 

I couldn't get them to hit the jig though, just the stick bait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2018 at 5:47 PM, TJones said:

Love cold water walleye fishing in our local rivers... one of my favorite things is the bi-catch can get interesting at times!

 

This toothy rascal surprised me the other night... Dad and I hit a local spot under what seemed like perfect conditions. Not a bump for what seemed like forever, until the water erupted and this dragon ate my rapala, lol.A3A71839-4A8C-425F-AEC4-35593631E140.png.a3b4e6c97e73d5ddc83d07b8c395b978.png

Awesome Musky TJones!! Always surprised how many you find accidentally while walleye fishing.  That’s a great fish!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 mins ago, Rapidfflow0 said:

I got into a few good ones the other night.  Not happy about all this rain really going to put a damper on my fishing

98143A06-CC33-4B02-9F2B-C29CE57BA5A0.jpeg

0623DDF3-31A8-44E0-8B90-273337676ABA.jpeg

7BD7CE17-768D-413D-9377-6CA69A30DEC0.jpeg

8C71477F-E849-45F9-AFB6-6BB38A2A4AEF.jpeg

D540DD40-9B07-4858-9FDF-D8CFD44AD498.jpeg

 

Nice! Looks like a serious fish. Looks like a fish you’d catch in March ready to spawn.

Edited by PhilCVG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, PhilCVG said:

 

Nice! Looks like a serious fish. Looks like a fish you’d catch in March ready to spawn.

Actually 3 different fish.  One 30.5” one 29.75” and one around 23-24”. First 2 broke my PB within 15min of each other.  They looked exactly like females ready to spawn.  My guess is they gorged themselves during the brief rise in temps last week.  Released those big girls need to do their thing this spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 mins ago, Rapidfflow0 said:

Actually 3 different fish.  One 30.5” one 29.75” and one around 23-24”. First 2 broke my PB within 15min of each other.  They looked exactly like females ready to spawn.  My guess is they gorged themselves during the brief rise in temps last week.  Released those big girls need to do their thing this spring.

Rapid, those are beast walleyes anywhere...  Great work man! Huge bellies on those fish. Congrats on the release also!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 mins ago, Rapidfflow0 said:

Awesome Musky TJones!! Always surprised how many you find accidentally while walleye fishing.  That’s a great fish!!

thank you much sir! Seems like this time of the year they are quite willing to bite our walleye baits at times... The biggest problem is landing them once they are hooked up, haha! always great fun when it happens :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rapidfflow0 said:

I got into a few good ones the other night.  Not happy about all this rain really going to put a damper on my fishing

98143A06-CC33-4B02-9F2B-C29CE57BA5A0.jpeg

0623DDF3-31A8-44E0-8B90-273337676ABA.jpeg

7BD7CE17-768D-413D-9377-6CA69A30DEC0.jpeg

8C71477F-E849-45F9-AFB6-6BB38A2A4AEF.jpeg

D540DD40-9B07-4858-9FDF-D8CFD44AD498.jpeg

 

Don't let all the rain deter you or damper your fishing, like I have said all my best walleye fishing has been done in the nastiest of rainy nights.

 

Nice fish!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Beastly Backlash said:

 

Don't let all the rain deter you or damper your fishing, like I have said all my best walleye fishing has been done in the nastiest of rainy nights.

 

Nice fish!

It was 28 degrees Monday and blowing 20+ so weather isn’t a deterrent.  However we are suppose to get 3+ inches of rain and rivers expected to go from 4feet to over 14feet.  That’s a little different story and will take a while to come back to fishable conditions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rapidfflow0 said:

It was 28 degrees Monday and blowing 20+ so weather isn’t a deterrent.  However we are suppose to get 3+ inches of rain and rivers expected to go from 4feet to over 14feet.  That’s a little different story and will take a while to come back to fishable conditions

 

Yeah, guys on this forum spent a lot of time talking about the rise and fall of the river height.

 

Still, just keep plugging away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.