Beastly Backlash

Winter Walleye 2018-2019

54 posts in this topic

One of my favorite lure combinations was a simple 1/4oz unpainted jighead with a 4in Original Zoom Curly Tail Grub in opaque yellow or yellow and black 

Seems that the original Zoom 4in Curly Tails no longer produced, I haven't found an adequate replacement yet as few other curly tail grubs had the softness that provided tons of action in fridged waters or the bright and bold colors that these lures came in and at $1.50 per pack, losing a dozen jigs a night was not a big deal.

I am not a fan of translucent soft plastics for walleye, my goal is to ensure that my lure is as visible as possible and it seems that most companies prefer translucent colors with flakes then bold opaque colors.

I am going to mess around a bit with the Berkley Power Grubs in 3in and 4in (3in should be ok in in these colder temps we are having right now, but 4in is the minimum I prefer to use as it does draw more strikes from bigger fish especially when water temps are a bit warmer), but the 4in Power grubs don't seem to have as good a color selection.

Any recommendations on good and cheap grubs?

Edited by Beastly Backlash

I remember when the Rapala Shadow Rap first came out I shrugged my shoulders at it when scoob created a thread about the lure, but for the past few years this has actually been my go to late season lure for walleye. The Husky Jerk 14 I love so much is a great fall time and early winter lure choice, but I feel that the action and profile of the Shadow Rap draws more strikes as water temps get colder; not to mention that they cast really well for their size.

Color choice here is pretty simple, silver or brown with black back is about all I use.

5 mins ago, Lateral Line said:

This is all new to me.... found a few small over the weekend. 

20181215_163549.jpg

can't see the dorsal to confirm but the rest looks more like a sauger

I chase them w/ a flyrod in our local rivers.An 8wt w/ an intermediate so I can use a slow retrieve as they don't seem to wanna chase in that cold water.Too quick and all I get is small ones.Where ever a rapids/riffle dumps into a deep pool and it's side pocket are where I get most of my fish.

The tribs to the Ohio R have sauger,walleyes are all over the state as are the ubiquitously stocked hybrid of the two,the saugeye.Typically stocked in lakes and reservoirs,many escape via the spillway and make it into the rivers.They all taste good, but sauger has a finer textured,sweeter flesh and they typically avg 1-3lbs w/ some to 5.

I usually fish an hour before dark to an hour after.Got into some nice ones last couple months,up to 6lbs.

1 hour ago, slip n slide said:

I chase them w/ a flyrod in our local rivers.An 8wt w/ an intermediate so I can use a slow retrieve as they don't seem to wanna chase in that cold water.Too quick and all I get is small ones.Where ever a rapids/riffle dumps into a deep pool and it's side pocket are where I get most of my fish.

The tribs to the Ohio R have sauger,walleyes are all over the state as are the ubiquitously stocked hybrid of the two,the saugeye.Typically stocked in lakes and reservoirs,many escape via the spillway and make it into the rivers.They all taste good, but sauger has a finer textured,sweeter flesh and they typically avg 1-3lbs w/ some to 5.

I usually fish an hour before dark to an hour after.Got into some nice ones last couple months,up to 6lbs.

That is pretty cool, not many people target eyes and sauger using fly gear. How difficult is it to keep your streamer in the strike zone with river currents and depths being what they are on a bigger river?

Slow and low is the ticket to getting the big ones this time of year.

4 hours ago, Lateral Line said:

This is all new to me.... found a few small over the weekend. 

20181215_163549.jpg

Slip n slide is right, I am thinking sauger too. Still a nice catch, just keep working the patterns to stay on the fish, where there are sauger there will be walleye and the make for some fun fishing this time of year when most other predators are not as active.

Had some luck on a couple lakes recently with blade baits and jigging rapalas.  Mostly hitting when dead sticking them.  Funny thing this year.  I'm not seeing the large schools in the usual places but that's the fun part.   

3 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

That is pretty cool, not many people target eyes and sauger using fly gear. How difficult is it to keep your streamer in the strike zone with river currents and depths being what they are on a bigger river?

Slow and low is the ticket to getting the big ones this time of year.

It is a bigger river,around 1800-2000cfs on a good day,so I target areas where they find ideal holding water where it's less'n 8' deep and more often 4-6' deep,often near dams where they seem to congregate in the colder weather.

I fish deeper water and holes using my drift boat and a faster sinking line and am usually running about 10-15' deep.

Wallys and sauger have that hard,bony roof of the mouth and you'll often hook them up there when you lift on your strike...hard not to do,right? Esp in a boat.That causes a problem in that the hook isn't well set into the bone and if they get even a seconds worth of slack they're off the hook cuz it aint actually sunk into any meat,just pricked against the bone.Don't lift your tip when you hook one,keep it low and to the side and retrieve steadily and you're losses will at a minimum.In a boat the same applies but don't lift your tip to net them,swim them in a figure 8 to keep tension and net them on one of the turns.Bringing them to the surface where they flop around will cost you fish.

1 hour ago, Lateral Line said:

After your suggestion of "sauger", I poked around for some info, and your all probably correct.. was a good time with a few like that just before dark.

Thanks all

Like I said;the last hour of daylight and first hour of dark.

I look at sauger as long,skinny perch and I'll keep a smaller sauger than I would walleye as they don't have a size restriction where I fish but wallys do.A half doz of the size you got would make an awesome meal! They clean up well w/ no waste if you use a sharp,thin knife.

A lotta places on the Ohio R it's hard to get past the small sauger to any better fish below they can be so plentiful.

13 hours ago, slip n slide said:

It is a bigger river,around 1800-2000cfs on a good day,so I target areas where they find ideal holding water where it's less'n 8' deep and more often 4-6' deep,often near dams where they seem to congregate in the colder weather.

I fish deeper water and holes using my drift boat and a faster sinking line and am usually running about 10-15' deep.

Wallys and sauger have that hard,bony roof of the mouth and you'll often hook them up there when you lift on your strike...hard not to do,right? Esp in a boat.That causes a problem in that the hook isn't well set into the bone and if they get even a seconds worth of slack they're off the hook cuz it aint actually sunk into any meat,just pricked against the bone.Don't lift your tip when you hook one,keep it low and to the side and retrieve steadily and you're losses will at a minimum.In a boat the same applies but don't lift your tip to net them,swim them in a figure 8 to keep tension and net them on one of the turns.Bringing them to the surface where they flop around will cost you fish.

I usually don't have trouble keeping the walleye pinned on, but I am also not trying to set the hook in 10ft-15ft of water with a fly rod and fly line which doesn't sound that easy.

I fish for walleye exclusively from shore so on a hook set the jig is pulled forward and up which usually catches the in the jaw perfectly, at that point jigs are almost never shaken off. The stick baits will lose a fish on occasion, but that is more or less in part due too lure design and treble hooks.

13 hours ago, slip n slide said:

Like I said;the last hour of daylight and first hour of dark.

I look at sauger as long,skinny perch and I'll keep a smaller sauger than I would walleye as they don't have a size restriction where I fish but wallys do.A half doz of the size you got would make an awesome meal! They clean up well w/ no waste if you use a sharp,thin knife.

A lotta places on the Ohio R it's hard to get past the small sauger to any better fish below they can be so plentiful.

My largest walleye have almost always been caught several hours after dark.

I know most numbers come in that predark/post dark period and the majority of anglers (all of them) stop fishing fishing about an hour after dark. However, when you start fishing into the hours of 10pm and later, some truly monstrous sized walleye begin to appear consistently. My top 5 PB's during fall and winter have all come late at night, all have been over 10lbs.

14 hours ago, metaliczombi said:

Had some luck on a couple lakes recently with blade baits and jigging rapalas.  Mostly hitting when dead sticking them.  Funny thing this year.  I'm not seeing the large schools in the usual places but that's the fun part.   

Deadsticking lures is very effective for walleye. I learned last night that apparently deadsticking a Shadow Rap is also very effective for catching buffalo.:laugh: