Besides a Greenie or a Z, what is your favorite old reel?

Rate this topic

Otony

7 hours ago, Otony said:

I will dig mine out and post a pic. One of my favorite reels ever!

Whenever I review a reel.....I always make sure to think about that as a baseline....kinda puts things in perspective.  And it sits just out of frame so I can always see it :)

Edited by scoobydoo

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

8 hours ago, Livliner said:

I have to give a shout out to the Zebco Cardinal Series reels circa 1970's. I fished the Cardinal 4 & Cardinal 7 for years. Brass, stainless and bronze components these spinners were lighter than many of the reels of that day. Outstanding, durable paint job these reels feature a rear dial type drag system.  

Caught my personal best 51" on the Cardinal 7 plugging in the surf with 17lb mono.

IMG_1515.JPG

IMG_2332.JPG

Well i was going to the end and i was going to say ....No love for the cardinal 7?

Great old reel.

troll #122  <*)))<

I love old Mitchells. I still use a bunch of them. Reels I still have in the rotation include: a 309 and a 409, 2 307s, 3 303s, a 403, and a half dozen or so 301s.  I've gotten fish up to around 30 pounds on the 303, and salmon to around 15 on a 301.

3 hours ago, shark lobster said:

My bronson 906 and a crack for the salt still have both reels from when i was 12 yrs old, mine does not look as good as one in the pic

A118D7A8-F7A4-4225-85F3-F517135344BB.jpeg

Bronson, don't think I would of remembered that one. First reel I ever had as a kid. Circa  60's would be my guess, I had a small freshwater size don't remember model, but the name sure rings a bell.  Funny, had no idea I would turn into a reel&rod junkie.

(*member formerly known as 'garycunn)'

On 12/16/2018 at 9:19 PM, giacommin said:

I have a collection of Daiwa Silver Series reels that I bought in the late 60's 1300, 1500, 2600, & 4000 that I used routinely until about a year or 2 ago. They have done me well and are in very good shape. I'm in my late 70's and have begun to slow down a bit so have not walked the trails at the Hook since fall of 2017, however I plan to make a return in spring of 2019.

I had a daiwa 4000c for a bit.  Its pretty much the definition of a workhorse.  I traded it/sold it to get $$ for something else to try.  I am not going to say I regret it, becasue I still have a 710, 712, and some other older reels that fill the same role. however, that thing was indeed a tank.

FWIW, get back out and get on the trails and fish.  Just cause you are slowing down doesnt mean you cant stil fish and do stuff at a slower pace !  

8 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

Daiwa SS2600 if you want to consider early 80's old. Still the reel I prefer to all others.

Ouch, that stung

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962