The TideRunner

Reels

32 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2018 at 11:33 PM, The TideRunner said:

I've always liked them. For the big fish I have stradic  and Sustain 6000s on Tidemaster rods, And the boat rods and jigging rods have Torium 30s., and bought a Torium14 last season. Neat little reel.

Why change now?

I am not a big Shimano guy, but they do make the best small FW spinners.

If your son wants to try a different brand of spinning reel comparible to a Stradic 4000, buy him a reel or reels from either Abu, Okuma, Penn, and Diawa to try out. Let him find out for himself what he prefers.

Regarding reels outside of the FW spinners I do prefer other brands over Shimano.

Everything is personal preference in the end though, it doesn't hurt to let your son work out his preferences for himself.

3 hours ago, GBS said:

Really impressed with the new Diawa BG reels. For the price point they seem pretty awesome.

Owned BG Reels for years Never really cared for them but they were the best I could afford at the time. Main complaint. No anti reverse 

On 12/23/2018 at 7:05 PM, The TideRunner said:

Owned BG Reels for years Never really cared for them but they were the best I could afford at the time. Main complaint. No anti reverse 

My 2500 has anti reverse, or are you saying the anti reverse is no good.

On 12/23/2018 at 7:05 PM, The TideRunner said:

Whole different animal now... the old BG and the new one.  

Budget workhorse vs budget refined workhorse.  

18 hours ago, Waydown said:

My 2500 has anti reverse, or are you saying the anti reverse is no good.

Back when I bought my BG they didn't make a 2500. It was BG15, BG 20, etc.

And they didn't have anti-reverse. On hooksets, the reel would revolve about 1/4 turn or so, enough to miss the hookset. They were not the reel that they are today.

18 hours ago, 55555s said:

Whole different animal now... the old BG and the new one.  

Budget workhorse vs budget refined workhorse.  

Yes indeed. I used my BG's hard, and they never failed me. They even looked new after 30 years. Sold them all on that auction site for a good buck too. Even those older models were/ are still still desirable.

Do they even make a BG freshwater size? I'm mainly looking for reels for LMB SMB and Pike.  All my saltwater reels are fairly new and all are upgraded. Stradics, and Sustains, the conventionals are all Toriums.

the new bg 1500 size, their smallest, lists as holding 100yards of 6lb mono.  The 2000 size lists as 110 yards of 8lb. This puts it in the size range of many FW reels commonly used for bass etc. 

I purchased a 3000 and a 4500 as gifts.  Though I have no direct experience, thety are very well received and on a, 8' schoolie/fluke rod and 9' surf rod, respectively.

If you haven’t seen the YT video from scoobydoo, it’s worth checking out. “Battle of the budget spinners” or something like that. It’s mostly geared toward  lite tackle saltwater use but worthwhile

just got a Daiwa Tatula 2000 that’s really sweet in my basement. Haven’t had a chance to use it yet though.  Highly regarded by Scooby-Doo and others 

On 1/2/2019 at 9:08 AM, littletunnie said:

Look at the Shimano Nasci

I second this. You come in at $100, and they are really good spinning reels. 

I fished with Abus for a while, but even at the Walmart level spinning reels Shimano is nicer.

No love for the quantum Cabo/boca/energy/smoke series?

I used the old Cabo and Boca 20/30 series for striped bass up to 20 pounds for years. Held up nicely and stayed very smooth. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'll give a ( 2nd ) shout for the Daiwa Tournament SS series- I fish ( for years ) the SS700  UL  and SS2600  which is pretty close in size to todays 4000 sized reel....smooooooth drags, like hot butter!!!!

Edited by ChuckDgaf