The TideRunner

Reels

32 posts in this topic

I know I'm stirring up trouble with this question but here it goes.

I need to start replacing some of my reels. I have only used Shimano Stradic for about 30 years. I mentioned to my son it may be time to replace a couple and mentioned the price of nice ones, to which he replied, "do they have to be shimano?"

Which got me to thinking he may be on to something there. So what reels are comparable to the Stradic that won't bankrupt me?

Looking to match the 4000 size. So need about 10.5 oz maybe a tiny bit more. Good capacity, and long life. After all this time, my Stradics are just starting to need some work. Not many things last that long these days.

I am not to crazy about light duty freshwater spinning reels outside Shimanos, but the Penn Clash is a good alternative too the Stradic FK.

I tried the Abu Revos, but just wasn't impressed by the reels, they didn't hold up that well.

How much are you looking to spend is where I'd start. There are some nice newer reels that won't break the bank and there is always the option of finding a lightly used reel as well

2 hours ago, The TideRunner said:

I need to start replacing some of my reels. I have only used Shimano Stradic for about 30 years. I mentioned to my son it may be time to replace a couple and mentioned the price of nice ones, to which he replied, "do they have to be shimano?"

Which got me to thinking he may be on to something there. So what reels are comparable to the Stradic that won't bankrupt me?

Looking to match the 4000 size. So need about 10.5 oz maybe a tiny bit more. Good capacity, and long life. After all this time, my Stradics are just starting to need some work. Not many things last that long these days.

Check out the new Daiwa LT Line,,excellent stuff.

I'm dropping two Stradics off next week for repairs. If they can't be fixed I'll go for a new one for my LMB fishing, and something cheaper for my trout rods. I hardly trout fish anymore so no sense investing big$$ in a reel for that. I've beenn using Stradic for as long as I can remember. Why change now?

Thanks guys

president is smooth as butter, albeit a little heavier than required, and handled every LMB that ever walked the earth.

Stradics now are almost 100% more than stradics of ole.  For $125, great.  For almost $200, imo, ....  Wait... 

Meh, what am I saying.  If you got the cake, what better thing to spend it on!

Scooby might be a good resource for you because he is our resident reel expert. I would think that Shimano or Daiwa would be a good choice these days.

Now I am older and more into quality and versatility so I pulled the trigger on a 4000 Shimano RD HD Twinpower on sale from Japan.

You can find some good deals this time of year.

Edited by Jay Blair

On 12/16/2018 at 2:56 PM, The TideRunner said:

I'm a completely Shimano user . Its ok to upgrade to a lighter smaller compact reel . I'm all in with the CI4 (  4000 ) which I have a variety of . I know a few guys who have changed out , then went back . So good luck  

7 hours ago, The TideRunner said:

I'm dropping two Stradics off next week for repairs. If they can't be fixed I'll go for a new one for my LMB fishing, and something cheaper for my trout rods. I hardly trout fish anymore so no sense investing big$$ in a reel for that. I've beenn using Stradic for as long as I can remember. Why change now?

Thanks guys

No real good reason to change. Stradics provide about all you need for freshwater fishing when targeting small to medium sized fish at a decent price.

I've always liked them. For the big fish I have stradic  and Sustain 6000s on Tidemaster rods, And the boat rods and jigging rods have Torium 30s., and bought a Torium14 last season. Neat little reel.

Why change now?

Stradic CI4, lightweight and plenty of drag.  My brother has the Daiwa Ballistic LT and he prefers my CI4 over his Ballistic LT.  Can’t go wrong with either IMO. 

Tight lines.

On 12/20/2018 at 9:40 AM, Jay Blair said:

Scooby might be a good resource for you because he is our resident reel expert.

This is right in Scoobs wheelhouse