Angler #1

State Closes two pot shop

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Todays Cape Cod Times reports that the shops in Mashpee and Plymouth were closed for selling pot with pesticides . After one sees what these pesticides cause to the human body it is no wonder they still have not approved any in the growing and raising of the plants, depending upon what form you take the marijuana depends upon the type of health risk you may be under. The company selling the weed say it is only a misunderstanding ? They need more clarity then what they were given ? It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get this all cleared up as having a safe product is what the industry has been telling every one it will be doing/ I would think that if no pesticides are yet allowed by the state in this growing process , how does one use it and call the product safe . How many other growers may be doing the same thing and unknowingly causing long term problems , no different then the street product if that is the case.

52 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

Buy any romaine lettuce lately?

Come on Carl, you and the mainstream media are just aggrandizing this report for an agenda.

Come on Steve Its all part of the conversation we are having around here of late and

What has lettuce have to do with Marijuana and pesticides ? You need to focus on the reasons as they both are different why they may not be safe.

Fwiw, its not like they were blasting the buds with paraquoit or bug-B-gone. I believe the small rooted starts were given an organic chrysanthemum-based formula:

"The statement said the company used natural pesticides allowed by all states for growing produce and for marijuana in six states. The company said pesticides were used during the early stages of cultivation and never on the flower buds."

The growers discontinued use in September, when the testing labs ID'd it and then made sure the consumer was aware of what was in their pot.

Seems like the legal system worked flawlessly.

Clearly a big step up from the black market, where no testing occurs, and consumers have no idea what is on their cannabis flowers.

FWIW, it gives me confidence that the system is working.  Even though both of these organic pesticides are routinely used in fruit and vegetable production. I doubt that there is sufficient scientific evidence about the safety of these chemicals being either smoked or vaped.

The natural pesticides that Triple M used have been approved in all 50 States for growing produce as well as for use on cannabis in WA, OR, NV, CO, IL and OH. Triple M only used the pesticides during the early stages of cultivation, and never on the flower buds.

Fruit and vegetables purchased at supermarkets have significantly more parts per billion of pesticide residue than the same natural pesticides used by Triple M. 

Vegetables are safe for consumption with 3,000 ppb residue of Pyretherin, the natural pesticide that Triple M used. Triple M’s soil tested positive for Pyretherin at 58 ppb. That means that Triple M’s soil tested at 2% of what could be found on a zucchini that would be safe to eat.

Another example is that apples are safe for consumption with 8,000 ppb residue of piperonyl butoxide (PBOs), the other natural pesticide that Triple M used. Triple M’s soil tested positive for PBOs at 276 ppb. That means that Triple M’s soil tested at 3% of what could be found on an apple that would be safe to eat.

2 mins ago, troutworm said:

And stay away from the baby powder too !

Baby powder for sure sprinkled on the lettuce especially can have some negative effects on the body , besides keeping it dry. I wonder how that would taste on marijuana. I bet that would add a nice flavor , especially after it is doused in the oil ? 

4 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

FWIW, it gives me confidence that the system is working.  Even though both of these organic pesticides are routinely used in fruit and vegetable production. I doubt that there is sufficient scientific evidence about the safety of these chemicals being either smoked or vaped.

The natural pesticides that Triple M used have been approved in all 50 States for growing produce as well as for use on cannabis in WA, OR, NV, CO, IL and OH. Triple M only used the pesticides during the early stages of cultivation, and never on the flower buds.

Fruit and vegetables purchased at supermarkets have significantly more parts per billion of pesticide residue than the same natural pesticides used by Triple M. 

Vegetables are safe for consumption with 3,000 ppb residue of Pyretherin, the natural pesticide that Triple M used. Triple M’s soil tested positive for Pyretherin at 58 ppb. That means that Triple M’s soil tested at 2% of what could be found on a zucchini that would be safe to eat.

Another example is that apples are safe for consumption with 8,000 ppb residue of piperonyl butoxide (PBOs), the other natural pesticide that Triple M used. Triple M’s soil tested positive for PBOs at 276 ppb. That means that Triple M’s soil tested at 3% of what could be found on an apple that would be safe to eat.

Fizzy they mention that smoking it might have a negative affect on the lungs , but is the science enough to warrant being extra cautious just in case that may be correct. One could say that smoking it ,most likely would be the biggest drawback to how one uses it  long term.  

2 mins ago, rst3 said:

Seems like the legal system worked flawlessly.

Clearly a big step up from the black market, where no testing occurs, and consumers have no idea what is on their cannabis flowers.

This.

Although in all honesty, it's a bunch of empty drama.

I suspect the food we eat is way worse.

At least the news will help depress the price of blackmarket product.

18 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Fizzy they mention that smoking it might have a negative affect on the lungs , but is the science enough to warrant being extra cautious just in case that may be correct. One could say that smoking it ,most likely would be the biggest drawback to how one uses it  long term.  

smoking anything is going to harm a person's lungs, tobacco being the worse.   vaping is much better.  

12 mins ago, mikez2 said:

This.

much of the food we eat is a whole lot worse, unless you eat organic.

2 mins ago, mikez2 said:

This.

Mike given that many fruit and vegetables may well use the same pesticides to grow them , what percentage actually is absorbed by the plant as it grows ? Does the by product of the fruit contain any amount from the plant itself? Or are they just concerned about the physical contact when they are speaking about marijuana.?  Most fruits and Veggies would go through a surface washing, removing any physical contact to the surface. Do the growers of marijuana put the flowering buds through a wash treatment that you may know?  The extent of  any contamination from pesticides use  would have to be shown that it is absorbed some how through the roots system and that is a question that bears finding out if true or not.  I do know that some of these pesticides, do have some associated health risks as is listed in how it is used and the amount.