Jettyskunk

Conventional Reels with Lures

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

What conventional setups do you guys use for throwing lures in the surf? Im making the switch to all conventional gear since selling my spinning reels and I'm curious to what others experience. My setup isn't put together yet as I am waiting for my reel (Trinidad 12a) to come in. Feel free to show pics or bless me with some much appreciated wisdom/knowledge.

I use Abu/Omoto 6500/7000 sized level wind reels. I have a couple of 5000 size as well. I like 10-11 casting rods that can throw 2-3 ozs comfortably. I have heavier rods that can throw large heavy plugs and tins. And an LDX to throw far. I like the Rainshadow blanks and have a couple of Daiwa Sealine rods as well as a 9' Daiwa Coastal surf. 

i have a penn torque 12 that is sweet. i like to go made in usa when i can. been playing with a penn mag 10 that has a level wind. haven't put much milage on it yet. would like to get an international 975

Trini's are fast, I would strongly suggest magging the Trini 12a you have on order.

Static or mono will work, a clever thumb is not as clever as a good magnet set up.

Typically what are you going to be throwing?

Do you have a preference regarding rod length?

Edited by ZAFisher

4 hours ago, mark d said:

i have a penn torque 12 that is sweet. i like to go made in usa when i can. been playing with a penn mag 10 that has a level wind. haven't put much milage on it yet. would like to get an international 975

The 975 is out of production and IMHO out of date.  Lots of better reels on the market. Love my Lexa 400. 

4 hours ago, mark d said:

I like the penn torque 12. What rod do you have that reel matched to and what do you throw? That reel is very similar to my trinidad.

56 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Trini's are fast, I would strongly suggest magging the Trini 12a you have on order.

Static or mono will work, a clever thumb is not as clever as a good magnet set up.

Typically what are you going to be throwing?

Do you have a preference regarding rod length?

I agree it is a fast reel. Figured id get a fast one and slow it down to my preference. I intend on getting a mono mag for it in the future after playing with it for a little to really make sure what i want. Im here on the west coast so i will be throwing smaller lures from 1 1/2 oz up to 3oz max aiming for open lanes in a kelp infested area. For that reason i need a smaller rod with better accuracy maybe around 8ft.

Edited by Jettyskunk

1 hour ago, Jettyskunk said:

I like the penn torque 12. What rod do you have that reel matched to and what do you throw? That reel is very similar to my trinidad.

I agree it is a fast reel. Figured id get a fast one and slow it down to my preference. I intend on getting a mono mag for it in the future after playing with it for a little to really make sure what i want. Im here on the west coast so i will be throwing smaller lures from 1 1/2 oz up to 3oz max aiming for open lanes in a kelp infested area. For that reason i need a smaller rod with better accuracy maybe around 8ft.

i use my torque 12 on a cts vapor trail 11'. kinda a small reel for that rod but it is easily loaded which is nice for conventional.  i throw anything at or over 1 1/4 oz. less then that i get in trouble. my favorite is 3 oz crippled herring. i can cast them out of sight with that set up and i am not a good caster

this is right up my alley,glad you posted this thread.

as my firend JimmyZ said,I fish with similar rigs all conventionals.

making the switch to winches years ago,I found my place when plugging.

I don't do any bait at all it's all large wood 98% of the time.

I've always found spinners clunky and awkward.

my list of rigs is from heavy LMB ssticks/flippin' sticks and such to salmon rods.

shimano calcuttas to daiwa lexa400's.

in most instances it's 7000 sized reels with 10 foot rods rated anywhere from 2-6 ad 3-8 oz.

9 ft okuma longitude casting rod/Omoto hubilie 777-s3 reel.

5c16e28fadb20_HHPlugWerxLDP293.JPG.8a76a0f260c02cea299b5e4c229c597b.JPG

shimano Calcutta 700-b/ 9ft quantum mocean rod rated 1-4[waay off on that point,more like 3-6 or 8]

5c16e2bd17931_HHPlugWerxLDP246.JPG.465daafe8677c2bd96f41f9bbcdbae77.JPG

okuma 9ft-3 inch EVX musky rod with daiwa lexa hd-hsp.

5c16e2c800ced_HHPlugWerxLDP247.JPG.b5d3e422334d396ba53e438be45328c1.JPG

8-1/2 shimano scimitar salmon rod x-heavy power 3/4-3 oz /Tica striper special -201 reel.

5c16e2e5e94a1_HHPlugWerxLDP238.JPG.c65c4275cd60a7b24e9703b7ae222561.JPG

customized Shakespeare 12 foot tidewater glass rod cut down to10 foot with an abu 7000c3.5c16e2f70a6fa_HHPlugWerxLDP242.JPG.842958b7606df58bb4752eff00b01058.JPG

8-1\2 ft rated 3\4-3 oz shimano scimitar salmon rod /picifun chaos-60 reel.

5c16e3214732e_HHPlugWerxLDP304.JPG.f63e64a7f8e9a1763924af622a1c3097.JPG

old diawa customized regal surf glass rod cut down from 12 ft to 10-8 with an old but brand new quantum Iron IR-330 reel,has huge capacity even with mono.

slightly larger than an abu 7000 in roundness and spool size and works great.

5c16e5db23741_HHPlugWerxLDP234.JPG.efa0f183589faa5e79a0e5e612596d7c.JPG

quantum IR-330,,,

5c16e7444edf1_HHPlugWerxLDP047.JPG.de024b0a7674cc0f76fff99e186abdf7.JPG5c16e7549a7cd_HHPlugWerxLDP046.JPG.e3f107740cbef368f8ec8c2c9e215ea7.JPG5c16e75e63731_HHPlugWerxLDP045.JPG.48c6b14a8826707e220ddab3ee1ceb91.JPG

H&H PlugWerx LDP 1094.AVI

hope this gives you some ideas as to what you'd like to get into.

HH

Edited by Roddy

On 12/16/2018 at 4:08 AM, jimmy z said:

I use Abu/Omoto 6500/7000 sized level wind reels. I have a couple of 5000 size as well. I like 10-11 casting rods that can throw 2-3 ozs comfortably. I have heavier rods that can throw large heavy plugs and tins. And an LDX to throw far. I like the Rainshadow blanks and have a couple of Daiwa Sealine rods as well as a 9' Daiwa Coastal surf. 

Ive always wanted to get an ABU Ambassadeur. What kept me from buying one was the lack of knowledge on which ones are the “good” ones. Please let me know how do you identify the model that was still made in sweden and has the strong all metal internals? I don’t like the insides of the new ones with all the plastic around the pinion and the cluch.

Edited by Jettyskunk

On 12/16/2018 at 7:08 AM, jimmy z said:

Which particular Rainshadow blanks are you liking?

Practice with that reel and you'll be fine. I use the Penn 525 or different Abu's, all mag reels. If it says Ambassadeur, its Swedish. Older models have round star drag tips. The adj. mags allow one to instantly accommodate a 1oz. jig,  2oz. pencil, or a heavy tin. I find the slower retrieval rates, and the sometimes shorter handle throws of the round reels has some effect on lure and tin actions. After sitting out a few blitzes I adopted the practice of carrying a backup reel. Plug hits another plug or gull= game over :mad:.

Most Ambassadeurs have centrifugal brakes, but a few are magged. Centrifugal brakes are better for preventing blowups soon after your thumb comes off the spool, while magnetic brakes are better for preventing backlash as the lure is slowing but the spool is still  spinning at a faster rate. There are two types of magnet setups. One is adjustable (even during the cast) for different lures, wind direction, etc. The other is static magging, in which their position is fixed. Abus are very easy to learn on, and you can completely remove your thumb from the spool for most of the cast, especially with the 6500 models. I have also been playing around with an Ocean City reel that probably was not made with casting plugs in mind, but is a lot of fun to cast with a couple of rare earth magnets glued into the side plate. I also have a Penn Squidder for larger plugs. That one requires some pretty good thumb control, and provides me with a nice ball of line to pick out every now and then. I use Kast King 40# line. It's cheap, performs well on these reels, and is relatively thick and easy to pick out when I do get a mess. 

convench.jpg