Murdoc

Google Earth/Dirty Water

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Long time lurking. First time posting.

I was recently on google earth. I noticed the satellite must have refreshed the images of the coastline on the east coast. You can really notice the mud line in the ocean. I wish this was done sooner as it might have helped people this fall find cleaner water.  It’s disheartening to read negative surf fishing reports as I’m new to surfcasting. Hopefully something changes with the striper migration pattern because I’m not interested in fishing for skates. Here’s some numbers of what people are spending for recreational fishing in New Jersey. 

https://www.app.com/story/sports/outdoors/fishing/hook-line-and-sinker/2018/12/15/new-jersey-fishermen-spent-300-m-tackle-report/2320625002/

Edited by Murdoc

Welcome. Those are some impressive rec fishing numbers. I haven't checked google earth lately but I would say that is probably not the best tool to use for finding clean water. It is a good tool for finding spots, access points, parking, hard structure, etc. The reports thread would be your best tool for finding clean water as that is commonly mentioned.

You seem to be concerned about stripped bass numbers. I think that is a very valid fear to have. Im relatively new to the sport myself...been in it for about a year and half. I do talk to a lot of experienced surf fisherman and they absolutely confirm that there is a big problem with population. Bottom line is..yes there is a problem and there is a huge debate on how to fix it. Some people even refuse to acknowledge it. Hopefully it all gets resolved before its too late. 

Here's some advice for someone just starting out. At first this sport is not too expensive. Soon you will find that the cheaper gear doesnt cut it. So you will start upgrading rods reels plugs surf bags waders boots etc etc. This is when it starts getting pricey. If you don't mind spending the money on gear, gas and have plenty of time and desire to put the "work" in and dont mind getting skunked then stay with it. (I personally like fishing the surf for many reasons beyond catching fish that I wont get into here. ) If this all sounds like too much and youre in it to put a lot of fish on the sand then you might be in for disappointment and it might be wise to walk away now while you still can. Hope this helps!

The current plan is for the ACOE to continue the pumping until May 2019.  Finish up Lavallette and then go up to Point Pleasant Beach.  Dirty water come spring is to be expected. 

We probably spend more than what we need to in order to catch fish to be honest. I upgraded my trick stick largemouth rod to a St Croix and it's lighter, more comfortable, and a bit more sensitive + an abu Garcia reel but I can't say I caught more this year. I have St Croix for the surf as well and the only reason I think St Croix is worth the money is because of how light it is plus a decent warranty. I use cheap Penn combos for fluking and do fine but I've considered getting St Croix for that, but it's really probably not necessary again. For big stripers though I wouldn't cheap out 

For the tune of close to $1.2 BILLION since the 80s for all this pumped silt. Imagine if that money went towards building an artificial reef or submerged breakwater parallel to the coast. Something that would dampen wave energy during big storms, help prevent beach erosion, and create acres of ecosystem. Sort of like the great BARRIER reef. Instead ACOE won’t stop till we are all neck deep in sand, silt, and pete-moss... :mad:

Edited by Local24 SSP

4 hours ago, Local24 SSP said:

For the tune of close to $1.2 BILLION since the 80s for all this pumped silt. Imagine if that money went towards building an artificial reef or submerged breakwater parallel to the coast. Something that would dampen wave energy during big storms, help prevent beach erosion, and create acres of ecosystem. Sort of like the great BARRIER reef. Instead ACOE won’t stop till we are all neck deep in sand, silt, and pete-moss... :mad:

Would rather see that money help our poorer citizens, as in Americans first, sand pumping last.

3 hours ago, msrief said:

Would rather see that money help our poorer citizens, as in Americans first, sand pumping last.

While I completely agree, that’s not the point here. People with multi-million dollar summer homes along the coast are crying for protection from an unstoppable force. I was only drawing a hypothetical picture of a different way to “protect” the coastline from storms. Not a new way big brother can “help” it’s subordinates. 

16 hours ago, Murdoc said:

I was recently on google earth. I noticed the satellite must have refreshed the images of the coastline on the east coast. You can really notice the mud line in the ocean. I wish this was done sooner as it might have helped people this fall find cleaner water.  It’s disheartening to read negative surf fishing reports as I’m new to surfcasting. Hopefully something changes with the striper migration pattern because I’m not interested in fishing for skates. Here’s some numbers of what people are spending for recreational fishing in New Jersey. 

https://www.app.com/story/sports/outdoors/fishing/hook-line-and-sinker/2018/12/15/new-jersey-fishermen-spent-300-m-tackle-report/2320625002/

When I try to use these google earth views, they are not present time.

Most spots change so much these views are almost useless as far as

conditions. Are you guys able to find current / real time views?

I have found some surf cams that are real time, but they are limited

to single locations. Thanks.

9 hours ago, Local24 SSP said:

Careful with wishing for break waters. They built one in Cancun. Now the current collides causing nutrient loaded water causing baitfish and predator sharks along beach. They had a bunch of attacks since it was put in

Thanks for your input fellas. I’m just getting frustrated like most people who aren’t catching. The blame is my own as I haven’t really adjusted tactics. I keep fishing the same waters that are close to my place at the shore with the same dirty water no matter what elements are. 

I started fishing for stripers of the jetties at IRI Delaware with success. I consider myself new to surfcasting because I have never used chunks or thrown lures from an open beach. Im also new to fishing in Jersey specifically CMC. These factors combined have given me a good skunking. 

I will take your advise and ask help locating good conditions. I use google to locate structure on the beach. Nothing beats the word of a person who just walked off the beach in this regard. 

Walk your beaches at low as much as possible to

find any structure. IMO south jersey is hard to fish out

front. Might think about devoting time to sod banks and

inlets. Good luck.

On 12/16/2018 at 1:38 AM, Murdoc said:

it aint about migration patterns bro,there's a lack of fish out there bcz their food and they have been over-harvested

On 12/17/2018 at 10:11 AM, yosco said:

Walk your beaches at low as much as possible to

find any structure. IMO south jersey is hard to fish out

front. Might think about devoting time to sod banks and

inlets. Good luck.

Agreed.  Most south jersey beaches are somewhat useless as there is little structure (hard or soft), totally flat beaches with only five to seven feet of water within casting distance. I focus my efforts on sod banks, whatever rock piles I can find, or drive north.

But google earth is useless for water clarity as it is refreshed very infrequently.  Definitely not multiple times a season 

Edited by Bluetaildragger