Mark Dauster

Good Combo?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys! New member here. Yesterday I asked a question about the Penn Spinfisher VI. Now here it is a day later and I have opportunity to purchase a Penn Slammer III 3500 and an Ugly Stick Elite rod (7'medium fast) for $180 (coupon for rod). Just need to know if the Slammer and the Ugly Elite would make a good Combo. Thanks in advance for your input.

The penn slammer is an excellent reel especially at that price. I'd jump on that. 

Not sure about those rods but I'd put together the combo to get out on the water and upgrade the rod later if need be.

I think ugly sticks are a bit underrated for some applications, mainly bait fishing, but I would never use one for plugging/bucktailing. If you’re using artificials, definitely would recommend the airwave elite like the posters before me.

$180 is a good price for the reel alone. From the reviews I have read, the Slammer III is an all around better reel than the Spinfisher VI.  My thought:  Purchase the combo and fish it. At this point you will either:   A) Be satisfied with the combo, or B) Have a better understanding of what you want in the rod and be ahead a "decent" rod to either resell or use for another purpose. 

If you are just getting started, you are not going to get your perfect combo from the get go. It takes many trials and errors with different rods and reels to determine what works best for you. Research is good, but you wont know for sure until you fish it.   The combo you mention is good quality, and seems as good a starting point as any other.

This Combo will be used almost exclusively in Galveston Bay, from shore or wading, and along the Texas City dike.

Wok167, what you say makes perfect sense. Thanks for replying.

Edited by Mark Dauster
To add a thank you to a responder

1 hour ago, Mark Dauster said:

This Combo will be used almost exclusively in Galveston Bay, from shore or wading, and along the Texas City dike.

Wok167, what you say makes perfect sense. Thanks for replying.

If it's from shore I'd suggest a rod longer than 7ft. A 9ft rod should perform well in most applications. As others have suggested check out the airwave elite.