bronson

blacktip rigs. setups

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

heading to s Florida soon......hoping to get a shot or two at blacktips in the palm beach area.......or north on my way.......being an obxer thinking of more or less using my drum setup .....slosh 30 and 12 ft tica  xh  and rigging it like 8n bait w a short wire leader and going w 20 ft 50 lbshock leader maybe doubled 6 ft ......sound good or shoddy ?   what is the minimum braid test for my spin setup?  is there a thread I should b reading? read the sharky thread. great read. thx for any info. will they b that far south as west palm next week?my rooster setup going for distance w plugs I usually use 20 lb braid....too light? 

On 12/15/2018 at 9:03 PM, bronson said:

heading to s Florida soon......hoping to get a shot or two at blacktips in the palm beach area.......or north on my way.......being an obxer thinking of more or less using my drum setup .....slosh 30 and 12 ft tica  xh  and rigging it like 8n bait w a short wire leader and going w 20 ft 50 lbshock leader maybe doubled 6 ft ......sound good or shoddy ?   what is the minimum braid test for my spin setup?  is there a thread I should b reading? read the sharky thread. great read. thx for any info. will they b that far south as west palm next week?my rooster setup going for distance w plugs I usually use 20 lb braid....too light? 

The blacktip migration doesn't usually get going full swing until late January, depending on the cold fronts. These sharks are very temperature dependent. There are residential blacktips around normally, just not as thick as an all out migration. They like to come in close low light or dark and usually head out into deeper water as the sun gets higher. Just depends on the bait source, really, where the sharks are at any given moment, near or far, day or night. Have to hunt them out. 

Seem to have the right rod. I usually recommend 400lb leaders because the fish have to be "leadered in" when in the shore-break. Anything less like 50lb has the potential of breaking when tugging about. These sharks often hit the air spinning madly so it becomes easy for the leader to get wrapped up quickly and the torque exerted can also bend completely strait most any circle hook. Drag is crucial because this is how one controls what these sharks actually do when hooked. I'd recommend for mainline 50lb braid at a minimum, around 300yds. Recall that these sharks can exceed 150lb and over 7ft pure ballistic power, and most guys get completely taken off guard when they hook one resulting in break-offs.

Better to gear up for these gals, get 'em in without issue and released safely. Also have on hand the tools needed to get them back into the water. Might want to get someone to tag along with your excursions because these sharks can be a handful when beached. Hell, I've had them jump eye level from the hard sand, snapping away. Can be very frsiky little devils. LoL

zcoker ain't kidding when he sez: "....these sharks can be a handful when beached. Hell, I've had them jump eye level from the hard sand, snapping away...."

trust me--he's right...

shark_bite.jpg

Learn from those pictures!!! Catching them really isnt that hard, its knowing what to do with them once you beach them.... they are alot stronger then you think and can turn around and tag you pretty quick... Just go to youtube and see mistakes that others have done, also you can learn how to handle them.... its not the real thing but its better than nothing....and remember even small sharks can hurt you if you don't know what you are doing...and yes 20lb main line is way too light.... get a sand spike, try to use live bait

like Pinfish... circle hook.... i don't like using wire, a heavy leader with the circle hook and you should be good to go.... and remember if someone ask what you are fishing for tell them anything other then sharks...trust me when i say that...fish away from bathers/lifeguard towers and don't go with the mindset of just catching a shark... this is Florida and you never know what will hit your line....have fun and enjoy...oh also good luck

Now Josh got exactly what he sought in this video, maybe more so. Zcoker can tell you how much hen"loves" hooking big hammers. Just goes to show you can’t tell what might be out there 75-200 yards off the beach.

Whole another level with those guys, oh and shark fishing isnt something new... it exploded back during the "Jaws" movie age.... everyone was making money selling jaws and

back then we were allowed to fish for them from piers... and nobody got run off... but there were alot of sharks killed... the only thing that makes it big now ... Youtube era everybody wants to be watched.... heck i remember when people didnt even talk about having a good day of fishing... well maybe a month later LOL... anyway if you do hook up to something "Big" don't worry because he will either break you off or take all your line...laying on your back in the sand with another guy holding your rod.... doesnt look like fun to me, just saying....:laugh:

On 12/18/2018 at 0:29 PM, Mauru said:

zcoker ain't kidding when he sez: "....these sharks can be a handful when beached. Hell, I've had them jump eye level from the hard sand, snapping away...."

trust me--he's right...

shark_bite.jpg

Stitches?