red dog 61

Blackhole Suzuki 10 ft

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I have the first generation with single foot guides. Nice light rod. Beautiful moderate action. 

Here is my son casting an SP minnow 

A09939B0-FE76-4343-BF1C-337D0E32EF48.jpeg

Absolutely love mine. I wouldn't say it's a "special purpose" rod at all. In fact, I'll say it's the most versatile rod in my arsenal. Rated 1/2 - 2 but can easily throw 3+ without hesitation. Throws sp's a mile and I can work a pencil popper with it fairly well too. Granted I haven't caught anything of any real size with it, but from what others have shown it should have no problem handling a 40. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

It can cast 4 oz but that is the max.for the most part its perfect for normal surf  conditions unless you are fishing more than 4oz in heavy current like the canal.only down fall is you will want to fish this more than your other rods because its fun to cast and fight fish on. I mostly fly fish so this rod is like fishing a 10 or 11wt.

Edited by thaistick

I loved mine for the first 4 months until I bought the Suzuki 9’6”, which happens to be the most amazing do all rod. It can comfortably cast up to 3oz, and while the 10’ can do it, it’s not ideal. The 9’6” will turn a larger fish where the 10’ struggles. 

My least expensive rod that I want to fish the most and makes me want to downsize all my equipment. Guides are small. Seems to cast best with smaller size spinners...

Both 9'6" and 10' Black Hole Suzuki rods were introduced to catch small striper, albie or snook by casting small 1/2 oz - 2 oz lures and they are great for it.

But I found the light rods can do more.

I experimented to use the rods for big drum in Florida and striper in 20 - 30 lb range in the Canal.

1 hour ago, ksong said:

nice striper  using 10' Black Hole Suzuki rod with 4.5 oz Magic Swimmer in the Canal.

suzuki10d.jpg

suzukir10e.jpg

Did you record this catch on YouTube? Would like to see the rod action in the canal 

11 mins ago, thaistick said:

Did you record this catch on YouTube? Would like to see the rod action in the canal 

No. I didn't as I fished solo. I asked angler next to me to take pictures.

I released  5 - 6 striper with similar size with the setup on that evening. 

The rod is not for the Canal with strong current. I just want to test the rod.