Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little

Now that Obamacare is finally ruled on correctly, lets review

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Obamacare as this is written is an unconstitutional law.  We ALL knew.  Even you left wing people did.  So I am just going to ask a question and see if any of you have enough in you tojust answer it.

Under the old Obamacare law, if a man DYING OF CANCER went to an insurance company and demanded to buy a health insurance policy, the company was FORCED by the state to sell him one.  Regardless of whether it made any sense (it does not), they were expected to do it, and were criminals if they did not.

By what right did you do that?  How did you justify that?  

What right?

Go ahead ignore the question, it makes the patriots on SOL laugh and giggle.

The left isn't concerned about "rights."   If they were, they wouldn't authorize so much forced seizure of one's labor and given to another purely for votes.  The left only "feels", they are ruled by emotions.  Not deep thinkers, they.  

15 mins ago, Gotcow? said:

You think this is the end of ACA?    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Eh.  You hope the won battles add up to a won war.  Winning a battle is still worth celebrating.

This case is continuing to define the differences between States, Regions and philosophies.  A group of Democrat Governors has already announced an appeal, as one would expect and their constituents generally would demand.  There are healthcare issues that need to be addressed and there should (IMO) be a Safety Net for those less fortunate or enduring hard times.  

We've reached a point where there is no acceptable compromise (to either "side") and one team or the other is pissed and focused on how it can block, subvert or minimize the other sides efforts.  There's also , IMO, a growing concern and division over the appropriate role for government in society.

Pretty mild descriptions, I know, but they point to and illustrate a once nation that's bindings are fraying or have frayed beyond repair.

I think at some point, responsible folks will need to begin real discussions about how we get to a new political accommodation that doesn't have one side stating that proposed "rules" would be unacceptable and the other reminding them that we have plenty of nuclear weapons.

Jeff B.  

24 mins ago, Connetquot said:

This case is continuing to define the differences between States, Regions and philosophies.  A group of Democrat Governors has already announced an appeal, as one would expect and their constituents generally would demand.  There are healthcare issues that need to be addressed and there should (IMO) be a Safety Net for those less fortunate or enduring hard times.  

(unfortunately) medicaid still exists, you know

16 mins ago, eddy said:

(unfortunately) medicaid still exists, you know

Yep.  IMO, the there is waaay too much spending that really amounts to transfer payments.  When discussions about the Federal budget start, there is automatically a huge chuck that's taken out of the discussion as "mandatory" or entitlement spending.  We know there's not enough money and sooner or later, the days of near free government borrowing will end and with it the debt will crush our ability to finance the FSA.  Then there won't be pointed debates about taxation and spending, but cities burning, riots in the streets and really bad consumer confidence survey results.  ;)

Jeff B.

The left thinks healthcare is a right.  They think it is the government’s job to provide rights to you.  

They also routinely valuate certain rights higher than others.  It’s how they justify their hypocrisy 

Edited by jkrock

1 hour ago, Connetquot said:

We've reached a point where there is no acceptable compromise (to either "side") and one team or the other is pissed and focused on how it can block, subvert or minimize the other sides efforts.  There's also , IMO, a growing concern and division over the appropriate role for government in society.

Pretty mild descriptions, I know, but they point to and illustrate a once nation that's bindings are fraying or have frayed beyond repair.

I think at some point, responsible folks will need to begin real discussions about how we get to a new political accommodation that doesn't have one side stating that proposed "rules" would be unacceptable and the other reminding them that we have plenty of nuclear weapons.

Jeff B.  

Increasingly, both sides are coming up with whacked out goals for more government that you can't compromise on. Though I'm drawing a blank on the right wing side of that just now. Someone will be along to whatabout a few things shortly, I'm sure.

I think it's safe to say all the new laws and taxes that need to be written have been written in the past two hundred fourtyish years of writing laws and taxes. It's time to go to an early concept of the American Congress and make it a body that convenes once or twice a year to make sure nothing new has come up. No salary or gifts. Pure statesmanship. Someone needs to invent a system that finds statesmen that shrink away from self aggrandizement and puts THEM in that meeting.

Heads the Democrats win, tails the Republicans lose.  

Democrats ran quite successfully just now on health care issues. If this decision is upheld (and the Fifth Circuit, where I think it goes, is considered politically conservative) then the Republican Party will have to live up to promises to replace Obamacare with something that addresses pre-existing conditions, inherited disorders, etc., exactly as promised. There is no proposal that commands a majority vote within the GOP that fulfills President Trump's promise to do so. Obamacare is a lot more popular now then it was originally. An awful lot of people have found that they like having coverage.  

I would guesstimate the odds are that the lower court will be reversed, but the odds aren't high. 

On 12/15/2018 at 8:12 AM, JimP said:

The left isn't concerned about "rights."   If they were, they wouldn't authorize so much forced seizure of one's labor and given to another purely for votes.  The left only "feels", they are ruled by emotions.  Not deep thinkers, they.  

Any tax, for any purpose, is a "forced seizure of one's labor, or the economic benefits thereof. What makes this one different?

20 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Any tax, for any purpose, is a "forced seizure of one's labor, or the economic benefits thereof. What makes this one different?

Not true

some taxes are voluntary.

You can avoid paying by not dealing with the taxed item or service.

Income tax is a pernicious thing and I call it not voluntary.  If you want to avoid income tax, all you have to do is not earn income.  i.e., not eat, not clothe yourself, not shelter yourself, not live.

Edited by hamlet

7 mins ago, hamlet said:

Not true

some taxes are voluntary.

You can avoid paying by not dealing with the taxed item or service.

Income tax is a pernicious thing and I call it not voluntary.  If you want to avoid income tax, all you have to do is not earn income.  i.e., not eat, not clothe yourself, not shelter yourself, not live.

There is very little that you can do to "not deal with the taxed item or service."  Clothing is taxed, at least in NY. Housing is taxed, and whether you rent or own, you're being taxed.  The only fee I pay that I could avoid by restraint are the beach driving permits I buy from NYState, Suffolk County and the Town of Brookhaven.

7 hours ago, BrianBM said:

There is very little that you can do to "not deal with the taxed item or service."  Clothing is taxed, at least in NY. Housing is taxed, and whether you rent or own, you're being taxed.  The only fee I pay that I could avoid by restraint are the beach driving permits I buy from NYState, Suffolk County and the Town of Brookhaven.

Taxes on goods and services are voluntary **.  I dont agree with you.

Taxes on ALL work that I do is slavery.  If I work, then I work for the Man as well as myself... AND the Man takes before I get mine no less.

** they are voluntary, of course, until those goods and services are forced upon you... i.e. until the gun-carrying govt forces you to buy those goods and services...

and for those in Rio Linda... that means BOCare

Edited by hamlet