Kanine Kleenup

How’s the fishing in late February in Sarasota?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

We have the opportunity to stay at a waterfront home for a week at the end of February. Coming down from Boston. Would it be worth finding a charter boat? Or is it off season. Would love to fish for southern fish. thanks for any advice. Brian 

Sarasota? Siesta Key area? Check out the red tide reports before you book for any vacations in this area this winter.

Siesta Key/Sarasota area is usually a red spot hot spot for red tide irritation at this time onward thru mid winter. Side effects are non stop coughing due to the irritation when you fish on the beach. Just a warning!

Red Tide is the key?    Go to a tackle shop,  Charter Capts. work out of them .  CB' And Economy tackle are nice tackle shops in the area. 

Feb. can be cold with cold fronts and the bite can be off?  That time of year, Reds, Sheepheads and maybe a Snook. The Snook are out of season so C&R.

out in front  ( Gulf ) for bait I use live shrimp and catch sand fleas in the wash line.

You can buy live Shrimp at CB's and other places.

Live shrimp is my first choice. They aren’t expensive $15 for 50. This time of the year they are bigger. You might get some so big you’d want to take them home to eat. 

Dont buy a doz or two buy the 50, they do go quick especially if snapper are around thick. If they die just tear the head off and thread tail on a jig hook. Fish it like you’d fish any jig. It won’t take long to know  a fish is there when using shrimp. Think structure when you fish in florida. It could mean grass, to a dock , a deep hole or trough on the beach, to a down tree or mangrove in the water. 

I buy two doz at a time and put a doz in each bait box.  Walmart has the bait holders cheap, about 8.00 .  ( 3.50 doz. shrimp at CB’S ) They die fast.  If Sheephead are around I use 1/2, shrimp. ( the dead ones ).   I. Use a #4 Owner Mosquito hook with a buck shot

A lot of the fish down here have small mouths   Smaller hooks 

They stay right in the drop off 

The way to go is a 5 gal bucket with a aerator

A shell rake is nice for the sand fleas.  Get them right before the drop off in the wash .

Ccb, I’m using the Engel bait cooler and the shrimp stay alive all the time I’m out including the heat of summer temps. It’s so well insulated that the water temp I get from the bait shop is the temp it stays all day. It has a simple air pump, battery operated. These are not cheap bait coolers but I’ve gone through a few others before this one and this one I’ve had for a couple years. It’s the 13 qt size and Engel just came out withthe 7.5 qt size, much better suited for a kayak. Smaller dimensions. This will be my next purchase. 

The trick to shrimp is to have something they can cling to. If they bounce around they die quick. It could be a simple dip net or a piece of brick wrapped in nylon stocking. The bait cooler I’m using has a net framed basket. 

Are the fish piers any good to fish from? I remember only catching pinfish and feeding them to the herons. There were lots of catfish in the cove at this house when we stayed there 3 or 4 years ago..

You get a lot of cats in the canals, i think not as many in the salt.  I was surprised to see them washed up on the beach last year in a Red tTde over at Gasparilla Island.

I haven't seem them in Siesta Key?  They could be there?  I have never caught one in the surf and none on the inter coast side? Where I fish its not muddy?  Caught everything else.

to keep shrimp alive many use a small cooler  (Igloo 8-10) size line bottom with layer of  ice  wet few sheets of news paper fold to fit and  lay on top of Ice, now put shrimp in, cold temp slows them down ,keep paper above ice ,pour off water when ice start melting,  load up a hook with dead shrimp throw it out let it sit on bottom, can often catch a Red Fish in this manner