SallyGrowler

Reloading...

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

I reload 450 marlin.

Not sure if they sell them anymore, but remington 300gr heads work good for me.   I use 325gr flextips for hunting, but the 300s I use for casual target shooting with gongs.

I got a 350 interlock reciepe built up for moose hunting, If I draw a tag.

On 12/18/2018 at 1:16 AM, biggstriper said:

I use the Breech Lock Hand Press.  IMO- you don't really need to chamfer the cases with this round. I also use the hand primer tool (I think) it's made by Lee.

what powder and bullets are you using?

I will probably start out with 405 gr cast bullets with IMR 4198.

5 mins ago, SallyGrowler said:

Unless you use a gas check on that bullet you'll be cleaning lead fowling forever , Jacketed is really want you want .

Up in my "stuff" I've got an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Kit that i bought and put up.  I need to get my dead butt in gear and get it set up and leverage some of the guys at my pistol club who are reloaders that are ready, willing and able source of info, guidance and help...  About a year ago, a buddy closed his LineX shop and gave me a Gladiator work table.  It's been used but is pretty stout and I think will make a good bench for the press.

I've also been picking brass and have (what seems to me to be) a ton of 9mm and .45 with a smaller amount of .45 LC (since I bought a Vaquero).  Good thread to motivate me to get it in gear.  I agree that getting set up and well supplied before 2020 might be a very wise idea.

Jeff B.

9 hours ago, SallyGrowler said:

I've tried several bullets and powders but IMR 4198 is the main one. I have a bunch of 405 gr. cast bullet ammo made up as well as some jacketed Hornady bullets. The cast bullets shot pretty well and I didn't notice a whole lot of leading even though I didn't use gas checks. Watch the video by Hickok45 on loading 4570 ammo. I don't remember if he used gas checks or not. 

The 4570 kicks more than a 300 Win Mag though.,

Back in the early 1980's I picked up a Winchester 94 "Classic" with a 

26" octagon barrel. Way too heavy for hunting, but lots of fun to shoot.

I removed the buckhorn sights and installed a Williams 5D peep sight.

I wasn't into reloading at that time so I bought the Lee kit and used it to reload 

30-30's. This thing made excellent ammo! Very accurate. The only disadvantage was that it's slow. If you're OK with that, there's no reason not to keep using it.

If you're an older guy, and having trouble seeing the sights, target, etc., I would lose the regular sights and get a 5D. They  are the cat's meow in my opinion.

I should correct myself and make it clear that I'm sure I reused Hornady brass from their FTX ammo when reloading using FTX bullets. It is a different length and although some have said that they used regular brass I would not take a chance on trying that. So you are right in trimming the cases you have to the right length. 

I did not notice a great increase in accuracy with the FTX bullets though ( probably because it's a lever action rifle with the barrel touching all over the place) so I doubt that I'll ever use them for reloading again.

Edited by biggstriper

Never used the Lee system. but, one thing I was wondering was if you have to use any kind of case lube when using it?  Or is it a carbide die that does not need case lubing?

And as far as tumbling cases goes, I use an old rock tumbler that was given to me years ago, gets the .45 and .357 cases I load clean enough for me.

Edited by acesover

20 hours ago, acesover said:

Never used the Lee system. but, one thing I was wondering was if you have to use any kind of case lube when using it?  Or is it a carbide die that does not need case lubing?

And as far as tumbling cases goes, I use an old rock tumbler that was given to me years ago, gets the .45 and .357 cases I load clean enough for me.

No lube needed. I think it only resizes neck and shoulder area.

Works great if you're firing reloads out of the same gun, but maybe not so much if you're using different guns.

Does it bell the case mouth and crimp the bullet? If you are shooting a round like the 45-70, I would imagine you would need to crimp the bullet to prevent set back in the case. Unless you are using a single shot weapon. 

10 hours ago, acesover said:

Does it bell the case mouth and crimp the bullet? If you are shooting a round like the 45-70, I would imagine you would need to crimp the bullet to prevent set back in the case. Unless you are using a single shot weapon. 

Quote from another forum:

The best way to crimp, is, as described, seat the bullet so the case mouth is just over the beginning of the cannelure (jacketed bullets only have the knurled cannelure, I've never seen one with an actual groove like a lead bullet). Then when you go to crimp, DON'T try to do it in one shot. gently (sort of, you'll understand if you try it) the case, and turn the case in the loader as you keep giving it small taps until you get a good crimp. That's the only way I've found to get a good crimp with one. Trying to whack it all at once, tends to either bulge the case or give an uneven crimp.