Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hoping to do some fishing in Hawaii next year. Would love to charter a trip for yellowtail.

I'm wondering how do you guys travel with your rods? Are you traveling with one piece rods and using a special case? Is there a baggage difficulty with this?

Are you using multi piece rods? Which are good to use with a Shimano Ocea Jigger 1500PG? Will that reel do the job?

Thank you

Any particular rod or blank recommendations?

I know it's slim pickings. I don't want to go the graphite route (ruling out st croix). Blackhole? I know they have a few two piece rods that come apart at the handle.

No yellowtail in Hawaii, do you mean ahi (yellowfin tuna)? I bring a few rods when we go to Kona, a 7' H spinning rod with a VS 100, a 10' 2 piece St Croix with a VS 250, a VS jigging stick with the same 250 and a 7' Mojo Muskie with an Avet. The rod tube get sent via FedX ahead of time, held at KOA office.Hope this helps.

I believe rod length depends on who you’re flying with. Last couple times I flew to San Diego, I only brought a 7 ft rod, but I could have brought a longer one if I wanted. Had it in a pvc pipe I had made. 

Per Alaska airlines:

“One piece of fishing equipment is defined as two rods, two reels, and one tackle box. Fishing equipment may exceed 62" (linear) but no more than 115" (linear), without incurring an oversize fee”

2 hours ago, Jewjitzu said:

Any particular rod or blank recommendations?

I know it's slim pickings. I don't want to go the graphite route (ruling out st croix). Blackhole? I know they have a few two piece rods that come apart at the handle.

Tackle Industries makes 2-piece 9ft Musky rods with a 50/50 split. The powers range from MH 1oz-4oz on up to XXH 4oz-16oz.

I have used the XXH for sharks paired with an Okuma Andros 5ii.

The MH paired with a Komodo 471 makes a good rod for casting lures or for bottom fishing smaller fish like snapper and blackfish.

The rods break down and fits nicely into overhead bins on planes, but they hold up without issue for smallfish or big fish.

Could be just what you are looking for.

2 hours ago, Vg8 said:

I believe rod length depends on who you’re flying with. Last couple times I flew to San Diego, I only brought a 7 ft rod, but I could have brought a longer one if I wanted. Had it in a pvc pipe I had made. 

Per Alaska airlines:

“One piece of fishing equipment is defined as two rods, two reels, and one tackle box. Fishing equipment may exceed 62" (linear) but no more than 115" (linear), without incurring an oversize fee”

Depending on what kind of rods you select, carry on is much simpler then checking rods.

8 mins ago, pakalolo said:

The black hole slo pitch looks like a winner! What Island(s) are you planning on visiting?

I've been to Oahu twice so I'm thinking either Maui or Kauai