Non Scupper Cart Options

I used a scupper cart a handful of times and guess what?  The scupper cart wore a hole into the scuppers. The kayaks of today are heavier than 15 years ago. Plus all the gear folks like to bring. Even if the scuppers are reinforced you are still putting pressure against the the most vulnerable area with thin walls.  If you like the scupper cart?  I would trek it unloaded and light as possible but even then there is a risk. Too much can happen to use it and it is proven you do not need a scupper cart to haul your kayak up and down from the launch.

I made my own cart with cross braces. Solid stainless steel tube and reinforced 1 1/4 pvc. It takes the abuse and fits behind the milk crate for easy storage when I am not surf launching and when the water is rough or I want it out of the way?  It breaks down and fits into my front hatch.

Even if a manufacturer tells you it's ok to use a scupper cart  I still wouldn't do it.  If you do use one I hope you don't take on water while way out like what happened to EliasV and other kayak anglers out there. 

bass.jpg

kayakcart.jpg

Edited by The Riddler

• 4 months later...
On 12/14/2018 at 0:11 PM, mmiller said:

Scupper carts are BY FAR the easiest carts to use in most cases (aside from having to tip the boat on it's side to install). Next best is a dolly with a cradle for the larger and heavier boats.

Failures to a Hobie scupper from cart use is rare. We don't get many claims since adding the reinforcement tubes. I have been using one for decades and have had no issues. I did damage a scupper once, but is was not a cart scupper and it was from landing on rocks in the surf.

Just simple common sense is required. Don't ram them into rocks, curbs or bounce down stairs. Don't overload the kayak and don't store the boat on the cart.

I too had a strap-on cart at one time. I hated it. They are a pain to get set up and to keep them in the right location. They can also cause dents in the bottom of the hull.

Hi quick question: Is it ok to invert the cart while on the water or does this restrict the scuppers capability to do their job? The back of my outback always carries a couple inches of water(more so when rough), is that normal or is it because of the inverted cart? thx!

Yes.  The cart can be carried inverted in the scuppers. It has been noted that the posts hanging below the hull bottom can cause issues if you hit something or beach in that configuration, so we recommend a pad to lift the frame high enough to keep the posts from protruding.  The scuppers have no problem draining with the cart in place.

Matt Miller
Hobie Cat USA

1 hour ago, mmiller said:

Yes.  The cart can be carried inverted in the scuppers. It has been noted that the posts hanging below the hull bottom can cause issues if you hit something or beach in that configuration, so we recommend a pad to lift the frame high enough to keep the posts from protruding.  The scuppers have no problem draining with the cart in place.

thx bud! So its normal for there to be a couple inches of water back there?

Edited by Striper46

It depends on the weight in the boat, but yes and it is normal in the floor area of the cockpit. The floor is not always above the water line for better stability (heavy live well load carried lower is better) and in the seating area for ergonomic reasons.

Matt Miller
Hobie Cat USA

3 mins ago, mmiller said:

It depends on the weight in the boat, but yes and it is normal in the floor area of the cockpit. The floor is not always above the water line for better stability (heavy live well load carried lower is better) and in the seating area for ergonomic reasons.

great thx for clearing that up!