fishnbear

Non Scupper Cart Options

21 posts in this topic

I'm currently using the Hobie Trax 2 cart to transport my 2017 Outback. No problems thus far so I guess I'm inclined to say " if it ain't broke". However, recent discussions about scupper carts in general have given me reason to rethink this method. I don't invert the cart through the holes while on the water, rather it sits on the gunwales and is bungeed down. Works good. I also own a C-Tug Sandtrakz cart. I only used it once, it didn't go well. Cart  would slide off because of the lack of surface contact between the cart and hull. I replaced the cam straps with (2) ratcheting tie downs but that made little difference with the wet hull. Possibly some DIY cradle mod with the C -Tug? In spite of the heavy price tag of the Hobie cart, I'd put it "on the shelf" and use The C-Tug to prolong the life of the hull. What cart do you use for your Outback and how do you like it? If C-Tug or other how do you deal with the "hull shape challenge". Pro's ,Con's, Pics.

Thanks T

Scupper carts are BY FAR the easiest carts to use in most cases (aside from having to tip the boat on it's side to install). Next best is a dolly with a cradle for the larger and heavier boats.

Failures to a Hobie scupper from cart use is rare. We don't get many claims since adding the reinforcement tubes. I have been using one for decades and have had no issues. I did damage a scupper once, but is was not a cart scupper and it was from landing on rocks in the surf.

Just simple common sense is required. Don't ram them into rocks, curbs or bounce down stairs. Don't overload the kayak and don't store the boat on the cart.

I too had a strap-on cart at one time. I hated it. They are a pain to get set up and to keep them in the right location. They can also cause dents in the bottom of the hull.

Take a look at the "Boonedox landing gear" as an option to scupper & dolly carts........... Guys i've spoken to that have them love it & wouldn't go back to any other way...... Saw one outback with the landing gear paired with some wheeleez........ nice set up..

For my fragile C-14 I have a no-scupper DIY cart with Sandtrakz wheels. Sometimes it slips, but not much. For my Pescador 12 (old T-120) I used a hybrid style shown below that limits the problematic torquing of the scupper with T-bars if you strap it down. Note the uprights pivot in the threaded PVC joint to be stored flat to the axle. These lawnmower wheels were not very good in sand!

5c13fc7d36616_pescadorcart.PNG.7986cc28e72e5b49610caa9973745a4c.PNG

I aint changing a thing ..sticking with hobie cart and wheelez (+ collars).

5 years of use, with heaviest kayak out there, 0 issues.

IMO, u r   much more likely to damage your kayak when saddle-type cart gets away from you on a concrete ramp etc.

I'm a Liquid Logic or Native guy and use the C-tug cart, I have  two pieces six inch long three inch PVC conduit cut in half tyrapped to the pads on the cart, The Slayer locks right in, just come up to the ramp, hop out, put cart in water as wheels don't float, swing end of yak onto cart , I still use the original strap but take it forward of the two rod holders with rods in them so there is no way it can slip back and get loose. Scupper carts look a little bothersome lining up the scupper holes, and I am usually out of the load out area very quickly with my set up, I also like that the wheels don't float and the improved sand trax wheels work so much better then the original types. I use the same cart for a Slayer 13, LL Manta Ray 12, and OK Trident Ultra 4.3 (hull shape doesn't fit as well but boat is light and it works.......Jack

I have an Outback and 2 C-Tug carts. One with the standard wheels and the Muller Miller Conversion that gets 30cm Wheeleez on them. The key to successful use of a C-Tug on the Outback is to add a couple pieces of PVC pipe to the pads. They sit inside the grooves of the hull and align everything. Works awesome. I’ll try to add some photos. 

I use both types. With a handle behind the cockpit and a little knee English I one hand the Revo on to the scupper cart. The beauty of universal carts is they can be placed to balance the yak. I slid bike innertube over the cam straps where they bear on the yak for better grip.

21 hours ago, BillZ said:

Take a look at the "Boonedox landing gear" as an option to scupper & dolly carts........... Guys i've spoken to that have them love it & wouldn't go back to any other way...... Saw one outback with the landing gear paired with some wheeleez........ nice set up..

I have the Boonedox with the wheeleez tires on my solo skiff, it's fantastic.

Thanks for the pics ATV and all the responses. I've got some PVC laying around and will be giving that a try on the C-Tug soon. Maybe even wrap the PVC with some rubbery material to make it stickier. That Trailtrekker system looks pretty sweet too. Their Maximus sized cart goes to 40" and looks super easy to use. Watched a vid on YouTube with that cart on an Outback. Nice for loading onto a pickup which is what I drive.