Bigfish25

Trip to the Cape

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I am planning a trip to Cape Cod in mid May and will be staying at either Scusset Beach State Park or Nickerson State Forest Park. I would like to do some fly fishing for stripers and possibly spend a day with a guide and some DIY fishing (I will not have a boat). Is location of one park better than the other, or is one a better park? Will there be any stripers around at that time of year (I can change my schedule a bit if needed)? Any guide recommendations? Other suggestions?

Thanks

BF

I don't live on the cape but usually go for a week much later in the season. I'm not sure about migratory fish hitting the cape that early. You may be looking at holdovers at that time. Hopefully someone "in the know" may be better able to shed some light on the early season there.

This past season on cape I found consistent bass action from the surf in the second week of may but didn't get into anything over 20# until the last week of may. If your at the scusset campground you could try the west end of the canal over by the tidal flats or as others have said you could reasonably expect action in buzzards bay harbors or on the south side.

Should be fine in terms of fish, although I’d take Nickerson over Scusset.  You’d be fishing the week leading up to the full moon, fish will be on the move. A lot of places should be producing. Great for the fly rod. Just have to take the weather into consideration. Will be colder, windier on the Cape then, but the fish will be there. Also have to watch the extreme tides in some of the better fly fishing spots. 

2 hours ago, Bigfish25 said:

I am planning a trip to Cape Cod in mid May and will be staying at either Scusset Beach State Park or Nickerson State Forest Park. I would like to do some fly fishing for stripers and possibly spend a day with a guide and some DIY fishing (I will not have a boat). Is location of one park better than the other, or is one a better park? Will there be any stripers around at that time of year (I can change my schedule a bit if needed)? Any guide recommendations? Other suggestions?

Thanks

BF

An ideal fly fishing location for stripers is the Brewster Flats, so Nickerson would be best. Typically, bass show up in numbers on the north side of the cape mid May ... if you can go last week of May or 1st week of June that would be ideal. I fish the flats quite a bit, although I use spinning gear. Fish along side fly fishermen.

Send me a PM ... I might be able to hook you up with a guide or fish with you sometime

May is good in Buzzards Bay- as others said, just a bit later in cape cod bay. For a great fly guide, reach out to Joe LeClaire- google flyfishsalt all one word.  He’s down south right now beating up on reds and snook.

the second week of May till the second week of June has typically been the window were i catch my biggest fish of the season,excluding the canal.as far as a fly guide lookup Steve Keane at cape cod fishing expeditionsand go see Bob at black eel outfitters

Posted (edited) · Report post

Scusset campground puts you right on the water.  Sometimes the limited sites fill up by late winter due to on-line reservations.  Nickerson calls for a car ride to reach the water.  Some great fresh water ponds in Nickerson.  Fly fishing at Scusset isn't a slam dunk.  If the fish happen to be around and it's crowded you won't make any friends by fly fishing.  Nickerson puts you in Orleans/Brewster area, some good fly fishing on the bay side, and the surf.  Check with the guides mentioned above.  But, move quickly, Scusset & Nickerson fill up by early spring.

Edited by clambellies

2 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

the second week of May till the second week of June has typically been the window were i catch my biggest fish of the season,excluding the canal.as far as a fly guide lookup Steve Keane at cape cod fishing expeditions and go see Bob at black eel outfitters

Thank you for the contact information I will give Steve a call this week. I'll be down to the Cape in mid April I'll stop in and introduce myself to Bob at Black Eel Outfitters.

13 mins ago, clambellies said:

Scusset campground puts you right on the water.  Sometimes the limited sites fill up by late winter due to on-line reservations.  Nickerson calls for a car ride to reach the water.  Some great fresh water ponds in Nickerson.  Fly fishing at Scusset isn't a slam dunk.  If the fish happen to be around and it's crowded you won't make any friends by fly fishing.  Nickerson puts you in Orleans/Brewster area, some good fly fishing on the bay side, and the surf.  Check with the guides mentioned above.  But, move quickly, Scusset & Nickerson fill up by early spring.

Thanks for the info, I'm booked into Nickerson the last week of May.