fishguts430

Hobie compass

41 posts in this topic

21 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

So you guys that have the Compass ... what's it like to paddle without any place to hold your feet?

I think it's gotta suck with or without foot braces :)

On 3/3/2019 at 0:25 PM, jeffreyrichard said:

So you guys that have the Compass ... what's it like to paddle without any place to hold your feet?

Never an issue with me...I only paddle after I have taken the drive out and am coming in for a landing close to shore.  It is a pedal kayak. :howdy:

On 3/3/2019 at 0:25 PM, jeffreyrichard said:

Never an issue with me...I only paddle after I have taken the drive out and am coming in for a landing close to shore.  It is a pedal kayak. :howdy:

17 hours ago, splions said:

I'm thinking about it from an emergency perspective ... if one had to paddle several miles ... 

2 hours ago, jeffreyrichard said:

I'm thinking about it from an emergency perspective ... if one had to paddle several miles ... 

I wouldn't have a problem doing that.  My paddle kayaks don't have foot rests and I paddled in them for years.

@splions . .. several questions for you (just purchased a Compass this past weekend ... yeah!)

Do you use a fishfinder, and if so, how and where relative to the seat) have you mounted it? Concern about mounting it close to the seat is having to use the paddle on those occasions (launching, emergency) ... does it get in the way?

Car-topping ... how do you get the Compass on top of the rack without damaging the rudder, assuming you cartop and do it by yourself ... for my other kayaks I raise the nose up to the rack, and then lift the tail. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

39 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

Do you use a fishfinder, and if so, how and where relative to the seat) have you mounted it? Concern about mounting it close to the seat is having to use the paddle on those occasions (launching, emergency) ... does it get in the way?

I don't wanna speak for splions but I think he said he didn't have a FF earlier in the thread. In any case, I just wanted to mention that I have a track installed in a similar spot to the Compass on my Revo. The RAM mount I use looks like the picture below and it slides into the track. The picture shows the 1" ball model and I don't think they sell this specific package in 1.5", but you can buy the individual part in 1.5" and it's very sturdy.  You can pretty quickly and easily fold the whole unit out of the way if needed, but I haven't noticed it being in the way when launching and paddling. 

Image result for ram hook2 1" ram

Edited by drmevo

Posted (edited) · Report post

39 mins ago, drmevo said:

I don't wanna speak for splions but I think he said he didn't have a FF earlier in the thread. In any case, I just wanted to mention that I have a track installed in a similar spot to the Compass on my Revo. The RAM mount I use looks like the picture below and it slides into the track. The picture shows the 1" ball model and I don't think they sell this specific package in 1.5", but you can buy the individual part in 1.5" and it's very sturdy.  You can pretty quickly and easily fold the whole unit out of the way if needed, but I haven't noticed it being in the way when launching and paddling. 

Image result for ram hook2 1" ram

EDIT ... (Do you need to fold it down to paddle?) Perhaps I should read the entire post 1st ... dooh ...

In my Tarpon, I have the FF Unit (Cellblok w/transducer arm) mounted also on a track, but up by my feet so the paddle doesn't hit the unit. Wicked hard to see with bad eyes/glasses ... like the idea of having it closer to me

Edited by jeffreyrichard

1 hour ago, jeffreyrichard said:

EDIT ... (Do you need to fold it down to paddle?) Perhaps I should read the entire post 1st ... dooh ...

In my Tarpon, I have the FF Unit (Cellblok w/transducer arm) mounted also on a track, but up by my feet so the paddle doesn't hit the unit. Wicked hard to see with bad eyes/glasses ... like the idea of having it closer to me

That’s the nice thing about making use of the track. You’re not resticted to one position, and in your case, you don’t even have to drill (other than for the wire grommets, I think). Hell, you can wait until after you’ve launched to put the RAM mount in the track if you want.

I do not have a fishfinder but thanks for bringing up the issue of placement and it's impact on the ability to paddle.  I am buying a fishfinder soon and am getting it installed where I bought my kayak.  The people that install it are fishermen and seem to know exactly where and how to do it.  I will defer to their opinions.  The ability to have the mount fold or easily move away sounds like a great idea.

I plan on getting a Lowrance Hook2 Tripleshot with a 7" screen.  Hobie sells a special plate for the bottom of the kayak so that the side scan works properly.  I am so excited about getting out and using my Compass for a full season.

I do not car top my kayak.  I have a Toyota Tacoma with a 6' bed and it easily slides into the bed.  You just have to pay attention to the rudder when placing it on your vehicle.

If you end up getting a RAM mount, keep in mind they make make a version specific to saltwater. For the Hook2 series, it's part RAP-101-LO12 for the 1.5" model. You would still need the ball with track adapter for the base since base it comes with screws into the hull.