fishguts430

Hobie compass

41 posts in this topic

43 mins ago, Dockillemall said:

First peddle kayak for me going on six months. So far only two minor draw backs, First is tracking down wind got to be on the rudder . Second color, I fish open ocean and prefer a brighter color. Caught this GT last weekend, two miles out and 500th water.

DSC01984.JPG

Great fish, what did you catch it on? 

I thought big GT are pretty much inedible...obviously people eat them. How do you cook it? 

5 hours ago, jeffreyrichard said:

Did you compare the Outback to a Revo per chance? And is your Compass a 1st year edition?

I did not compare it to another pedal kayak.  I wanted a new one, didn't want to pay more then $2,000, and liked the weight of it.  I did a demo and liked it a lot.  Mine is the first year edition.  I spoke to someone from the shop where I bought it the other day; he said it was their best selling kayak in 2018.  Thinking of getting a fish finder this year.

Here is my fish picture from the back of my Compass...

003.JPG

The Kayak Centre...I wasn't too happy with the whole delivery process, but once it FINALLY came in and used it, I was very happy.  Someone also suggested Three Belles? over in Niantic CT.

I actually just put a down payment on a 2018 outback. It was 500 off from the 2019 and i get any hobie accessories half off the full year of 2019. Hopefully pick it up on my birthday which is the third of March

Congratulations!  I used a paddle kayak for years.  I like the pedal kayak ALOT better.  I hope you enjoy yours as much I as do mine.

I changed my mind a few times when shopping for my first peddle yak. I was leaning towards the Compass until I was tempted by a previous year model Outback for a lot less cash. I don't regret the choice, but there are elements of the Compass I would have preferred. Perhaps the biggest is the lack of a front hatch, and a better place to stow the drive out of the way.

Posted (edited) · Report post

It looks like a good starter Hobie.   But I already had an 2016 Outback when it first came out so I was already spoiled by it when I got my first look of the Compass.   I was like "Nope! Nope! Nope!"

The Outback is too far a superior fishing machine for me.  I just sold the 2016 and look forward to buying the 2019 which checks everything I wanted in a fishing yak.

Edited by GeoffT

Posted (edited) · Report post

49 mins ago, Silver Stoat said:

I changed my mind a few times when shopping for my first peddle yak. I was leaning towards the Compass until I was tempted by a previous year model Outback for a lot less cash. I don't regret the choice, but there are elements of the Compass I would have preferred. Perhaps the biggest is the lack of a front hatch, and a better place to stow the drive out of the way.

I had them replace the round hatch with a rectangular one.  In the rectangular hatch there is an accessory that you can buy to hold small lure boxes.  Now all of my lures are easily accessible.

They put the round hatch on the front so now I have two hatches.  I plan on getting a fish finder installed in it this year and hopefully the battery will go in the round hatch.

Edited by splions

5 mins ago, splions said:

I had them replace the round hatch with a rectangular one.  In the rectangular hatch there is an accessory that you can buy to hold small lure boxes.  Now all of my lures are easily accessible.

They put the round hatch on the front so now I have two hatches.  I plan on getting a fish finder installed in it this year and hopefully the battery will go in the round hatch.

Any pictures of your hatches, and guides for installing?

9 mins ago, splions said:

Sounds good. What I like about the compass is the front well and mesh cover, which seems like an ideal place to set the drive. There's nowhere good to put it on the Outback.

1 hour ago, jeffreyrichard said:

Any pictures of your hatches, and guides for installing?

The shop where I bought it installed the hatches.  I know my limitations and didn't want to screw it up.

I bought my Compass from Elias. I had a peddle kayak for over 9 years with a trolling motor. Never used an Outback. I am 62 years old with 2 bad shoulders and weight was a consideration for me. I also like that he set up the kayak with modifications the way I would have done myself.

53307969930__70429A93-8296-464A-A8FA-92C91DB59457.JPG