fishguts430

Hobie compass

41 posts in this topic

Anybody still have there compasses? I have been doing slot of research and all the posts are older ones. Im trying to see if everybody has sold thrm for out backs or if they still have them and still like them. I am very interested in getting one in the spring but no places to demo them near me. Only thing i have is for me too look at them in the store

Yes but from all the info i was looking at some people were buying them and then selling then not long after words while a lot of people were just starting to bring them home and didn't have much time in them yet

I’ve never owned one but I did demo one as well as a 2018 Outback and Revo 13. For me, the Outback and Revo easily won out due to the seat as well as other factors. I’ve also grown to rely on the reverse quite a bit. I’ll bet you could get a great deal on a 2018 Outback (or Revo). It might be a safer bet since you can’t demo.

I own a Compass and like it a lot...price, weight, ease of deployment, turning radius.  I went from a paddle kayak to a Compass.  I like it sooo much better.  If you have specific questions, I will try to answer them for you.

The price is a bonus but im looking at the weight. Only thing i would add is the square hatch fishfinder and maybe a scotty rod holder.  Plus as much as everyone likes the looks of the 2019 outbacks i don't much care for them. I like the 2018 ones more. Looks like the 2019 sits lower in the water. As well

To me, the Compass is heavy but manageable; I am comparing it to a paddle kayak.  I did not want to be dealing with anything much heavier.  I carry mine in the back of my Tacoma with no issues.  I have the 6' bed.

The compass is a excel ant  kayak. In fact,The compass has a few advantages over the outback. Reverse drive is not all its cracked up to be.

10 mins ago, fishguts430 said:

Barrel could you explain what advantages it has? Only thing i could think of is no front hatch to leak but idk

You should ask Elias, he's been using it for awhile now, and used to use the Outback, not sure which he likes better.

On 12/14/2018 at 4:46 PM, splions said:

I own a Compass and like it a lot...price, weight, ease of deployment, turning radius.  I went from a paddle kayak to a Compass.  I like it sooo much better.  If you have specific questions, I will try to answer them for you.

Did you compare the Outback to a Revo per chance? And is your Compass a 1st year edition?

First peddle kayak for me going on six months. So far only two minor draw backs, First is tracking down wind got to be on the rudder . Second color, I fish open ocean and prefer a brighter color. Caught this GT last weekend, two miles out and 500th water.

DSC01984.JPG