Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fun King

Cordless leaf blower?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Anybody have one that works? I have a Craftsman blower with a cord that I've been using over thirty years. It works great but the cord is a pain. I'm talking about just the front porch, garage, gutters or deck kind of thing, not the whole back 40.

Thanks.

Bought this for my adopted parents two years ago. Got it on sale for about $150.00 I think.

Great buy. It works great for what I use it for , which is the driveway, front and side walks, and  back patio. And most importantly the gutters on both the first and second floor roofs of the house.  Usta be a ladder, bucket, gloves, and crawling the edge to clean the gutters. An hour project just cleaning them out and not leaving a mess below.  And that was once a year. Now I go up and blow them gutters out as many times as I want from top to bottom and even the roof in maybe fifteen minutes. Fully charged I can do that and then the walks and and patio and usually whole the driveway before it needs recharge.

100' of gutter (plus ya can blow down into the downspout and watch to make sure **** blows out) , 400 sq. ft. of patio, 300 sq. ft. of sidewalk, and 800 sq. ft. of driveway.

https://www.ryobitools.com/outdoor/products/details/40v-jet-fan-blower

large_8cca25e1-0bba-4e75-8a9f-c557ab3bd699.jpg

16 mins ago, sbcbmx112 said:

I assume you aren't open to gas?  I recently picked up a ryobi gas blower that wasn't very expensive and works very well.  I think I paid a buck twenty.

Huge advantages of battery over gas is walking a roof. Less weight, no spill potential, and the can turn the blower in any orientation.

19 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Huge advantages of battery over gas is walking a roof. Less weight, no spill potential, and the can turn the blower in any orientation.

Yea I could see that.  Most of my roof is so steep I'd never walk it anyway.  But the one I bought isn't particularly heavy.

1 hour ago, sbcbmx112 said:

Yea I could see that.  Most of my roof is so steep I'd never walk it anyway.  But the one I bought isn't particularly heavy.

Yeah, I hear ya! I bought this one knowing I could walk easily both of the 6 pitch roofs and even clean them of twigs. If I had steeper roof to deal with, I would have probably bought something else. lighter and with long tube with elbows and such. 

To be a fair review of the Ryobi I'll have to say this:

Cons of Ryobi :  The one I got is heavy, without the battery. It's not something you would want to lift above yer shoulder for any period of time. 

Pros of other types :  But with a gas powered you cant really move the engine like that.

Cons of Ryobi : The ergonomics of it suck, for me anyway. I have big hands and long arms though. The trigger placement and/or the handle shape of mine are not ideal.

Pros of other types : The back-pack style blowers have this down perfectly. So one with an extension tube and elbows would do the trick.

Online pictures show the new models of the Ryobi have D shaped handles that may be better.  If yer just sweeping the ground for leaves and such, this one is great. My mom uses it all the time to blow the "leaves" ( her cigarette butts ) out of the garage.

Edited by Ben Lippen

I have a  greenworks   40V  brushless blower,  works great. high and low speeds plus variable speed controlled by a thumb roller, so 12 speeds in all.  used it for leaves and gutters and light snowfall so far.

I already had 2 batteries and a charger that came with my cordless lawn mower so it was only $75. comes with vacuum attachments and bag. 

What type of battery pack systems do you have?... I have Makita, so I went that way...Uses the same batteries as my other cordless tools...That saves  $$ on batteries and charger, as well as less clutter...

Butch

Gentlemen, thank you for your comments. Butch, I don't have any current battery packs. I noticed one blower shared battery systems with a chain saw. That could be useful for light pruning. I also see some of these blowers use two batteries. The reviews seem to focus on battery life, which is somewhat of a concern, but I could also fall back on the corded blower. I'm not interested in gas, the gas tools I've had don't thrive on neglect.

Got my self an Echo gas powered and love it. Easy starting and about 5 years old w/o problems. Use it also to clean out my garage and blow dry the car after I wash it.

On 12/13/2018 at 3:18 PM, Fun King said:

Anybody have one that works? I have a Craftsman blower with a cord that I've been using over thirty years. It works great but the cord is a pain. I'm talking about just the front porch, garage, gutters or deck kind of thing, not the whole back 40.

Thanks.

go battery Lowes Kobalt are very good , no more gasoline for me for small home jobs  

2 hours ago, shbeachbum said:

Got my self an Echo gas powered and love it. Easy starting and about 5 years old w/o problems. Use it also to clean out my garage and blow dry the car after I wash it.

I’m on my second year with an echo battery powered one. 

The big pro for me is no fumes getting in the house or garage while blowing the deck and driveway. If I need the big guns I borrow my neighbors Stihl backpack.

I bought this for working in the shop.  My wife uses it for the deck as she has trouble starting my Stihl back pack or hand held blower.  

Hard to beat and weighs next to nothing

fullsizeoutput_158.jpeg