GM26

Penn Slammer 3/How to tell upgraded model?

10 posts in this topic

There is a code on the sticker when you take the drag knob off and remove the spool.   There was a post over  the summer in this forum that had the codes and what they meant... I will see if i can find it for you.   Certain codes meant before the upgrade and certain codes meant after the upgrade.  My box and owners manual differed for what its worth - so sticker was the best route for me. 

If the Sticker has a date code of 00I17A00 or later it will have the bearing in the roller. 

The "I" (third character) is for September, the "17" is for 2017.  (A = JAN, B = FEB, J = OCT, K = NOV, L = DEC etc.).  In the last quarter of 2017 all of the J - K - L code Slammers had the new bearing line roller and everything in 2018 as well. 

tony

Hi Tony

3 weeks ago I bought 4 slammer 3 ,

1 6500hs

2 4500

1 6500

I have check they r not the 2018 upgrade model. How I could get the upgrade bearing for my reels.  

If I send mine to Penn for cleaning nd serviving can you do the upgrade and how much for everything?

If I order from Amazon and it's not the newer model. Would Amazon let me return it for a newer model? I'm gonna order one tomorrow most likely. Wish you could ask questions before they ship lol.

9 hours ago, Welder78 said:

If I order from Amazon and it's not the newer model. Would Amazon let me return it for a newer model? I'm gonna order one tomorrow most likely. Wish you could ask questions before they ship lol.

High probability that you'll get the upgraded model from Amazon, I ordered a 4500 in August 2018 and it was the newer one.  FYI - Amazon has no way of telling what the date code sticker says, they're not opening the box. 

Below is our Brand Manager's response from a thread last year regarding the line roller bearing to bushing change.  If you send your reel in and request the change we will add the parts, approximate cost for updated parts - $ 25 + labor and return shipping.   If you wish to purchase and install yourself (very easy) you will need :

Slammer III schematic - Part # 24, 35A, 35, 35C, 132.

tony

We are constantly working to make our designs better, and in doing so we make minor changes like this from time to time. Most of the time it is so minor nobody even notices. That being said we saw that in a few rare cases, and under extremely high drag the bushing wasn't working as well as we would have liked. I'll reiterate that this was on extremely large fish, extremely high drags and isolated events. We made the determination to go ahead and make the change to ensure it was the best product out there. Nothing wrong with bushings, in fact in a line roller they are a good option, contrary to what a lot of people think, and we use them in many reels. But being that we are always working to ensure we have the best product out there, we made that change for the Slammers. Nothing wrong with the reels that are already out there with the bushing.

Ben Joyce