squammer

Going to Naples, FL in February -- Bringing my Fly Rod

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Get a 5w set up take that Baaston Whaler in the back on a warm mid morning and fish it out , alot of species go back when it gets cold especially , Snook, Baby Tarpon and such or hit some ponds on foot , LM Bass , Crapies , Bowfin ect.  if the weather pattern is real good hit those beaches and passes with the 9w , get a non res. license . Its Florida  ! there are fish everywhere .   last winter I had 5  guide trips cancelled due to weather . If you do the guide thing get one who don't take a deposit ( but don't leave him at the dock ) wait 3 days before booking to watch the weather , then you don't need any equipment . Just have a plan .  

Update -- leaving for Naples, FL on Tuesday of next week (3/5). The red tide seems to be a lot better (or so I hear) since first started this thread. 

Thanks for the advice everyone.

On 2/28/2019 at 2:20 PM, squammer said:

Update -- leaving for Naples, FL on Tuesday of next week (3/5). The red tide seems to be a lot better (or so I hear) since first started this thread. 

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Headed to ****a Gorda on Wednesday but haven't done any research.  What gear are you bringing?

9 hours ago, chicky said:

Headed to ****a Gorda on Wednesday but haven't done any research.  What gear are you bringing?

I’m packing light. I only have one rod and reel (9 wt) so that’s what I’m bringing, along with some smaller white and black flies. 

Have fun in Virgi.n Gorda

4 hours ago, squammer said:

I’m packing light. I only have one rod and reel (9 wt) so that’s what I’m bringing, along with some smaller white and black flies. 

Have fun in Virgi.n Gorda

Punta Gorda 

Weird that p u n t a was blocked out

Posted (edited) · Report post

So I had an amazing trip but did not get a chance to fish as much as I had planned to. I got out at night 3 times and had a really nice time casting from shore with a white 2/0 deceiver in the ponds along the golf course where I was staying, as well as down at the marina at night. I caught a few smaller Snook which were really fun and beautiful fish with that yellow and the lateral line. 

I was extra careful to make sure my cigar ash did not fall on my stripped-out fly line... a Good tip I learned on this forum!

Edited by squammer