ecks

Penn Slammer 3 Deal of the day

Rate this topic

123 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, slack_tide said:

Was this some sort of end of the year blowout sale or is this deal still out there in cyber space 

Nah,

Just amazon not abiding by pure fishing's map policy.

It was like the 3rd or 4th time that I saw them burning price on that specific reel.

https://amzn.to/2Avdb5f

6 hours ago, Sheisty said:

I always wonder if amazon eats part of the cost or if Penn does (or the company for other items).

Not sure, but I do know the lowest Amazon price (the $125ish) is about the same as employee pricing was before Newell sold them off.  

9 hours ago, Sheisty said:

I always wonder if amazon eats part of the cost or if Penn does (or the company for other items).

Penn claimed they knew nothing about it and actually tried to stop it since it goes against the MAP pricing.

4 hours ago, DerrickT said:

Penn claimed they knew nothing about it and actually tried to stop it since it goes against the MAP pricing.

That's wild, I just double checked and it was shipped and sold by Amazon I bet amazon absorbs the costs some where with there "deals of the day". The analyst in me has a zillion questions. Where did amazon get their stock from? Is it an inventory overstock blow out? Did they order just for the sale? etc etc. We need an Amazon insider lol

They (3500 & 4500) are currently selling for $187.98 by way of amazon 25%off.

Perhaps a batch was moved for a reason. Some buyers report a bump in the retrieve, and the lack of a minimum drag setting could be an influence. I got lucky for once and didn't get a 'friday' reel.

On 12/17/2018 at 5:09 PM, beret said:

I fish only plugs,lures,rubber........never bait from the surf with a St Croix Legend 10'6" 3/4-4 oz.......would the Slammer 3 4500 be too small. Concerned about the weight of the 5500. I do not throw anything over 3 oz unless I have to...........appreciate thoughts....

I have that Legend and the 4500 feels nice! Great reel for the $$$ 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Factory seconds?

I told my girlfriend get me one for my birthday now........   can't see it or touch it till april.......

I'll ask her to try it out.  I bought a ssv3500 from amazon and it had a broken crank pin on the spool spur gear.   Just asked them to send another instead of penn warranty. 

This was their $89 ssv3500 spinfisher special around Christmas shopping season.

It makes me really wonder how a reel that noticeably broken could be put in a box.  3 turns and the spool isn't going up or down, and the spool has its full stroke as slop.....

Edited by salt deficient

Amazon did it deliberately to crush the competition during the holiday shopping season. IE ebay. They have the mean and the sales data available at their disposal.  I am not sure how much amazon paid for their reels, but I think it's somewhere very close to the selling price. They ain't losing money, but this ensure their competition isn't making any sales also.  It's not the first time they pull something like this. It will not be the last time.  There are countless time were amazon sold out of a certain product, then they lower the price to absolute minimum with a future delivery date to ensure no other seller will get the sales in the meantime. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

31 mins ago, 1badf350 said:

Did some idiot actually call Penn to ask about the sale? Why look a gift horse in the mouth? Geez just be happy and let it go. Don’t ruin it. 

Probably some B&T idiot who has to sell them at retail like Penn insists with MAP pricing, called. Maybe Amazon's less than wholesale pricing pissed off retailers that paid more and had to buy 100 of em to boot. I know I wouldn't feel too good about seeing Amazon sell them cheaper than a B&T can get them directly from Penn wholesale.

Edited by Ba Ba Buoy

On 12/15/2018 at 10:51 AM, Buckscorider said:

Is the 4500 slammer smaller than a battle 5k?

Thanks in advance.

I own and use both, slammer balances better on my rod than the 5k.   is seems to be more compact as well.  id say its somewhere in the middle of battle 4-5k