StriperAddict247

VS150 or VS200 for 11' Surf rod?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I had a custom 11' CTS Vapor Trail (1-3oz) made earlier this year and been using it with my VR150 which weighs around 18oz with the power knob. I'm thinking of now upgrading to a VSX150 or VSX200 Van Staal with a power knob but not sure if the VSX200 would be a bit too heavy for throwing all night on the surf. Would be great to hear some opinions on what you guys think, and how it has been using the VSX200 versus the VSX150 on an 11' surf rod throwing plugs all night on the surf. 

Edited by StriperAddict247

This is the best advice I can give you. Everyone has their own opinion as to what “feels good” and what will work for them. Take that rod into a shop that has a 150 and a 200 and mount it on your rod. Get a feel for it. Only then will you know what will work for you. 

There is no right or wrong setup. It’s all in what you like. 

Another good question is to ask the builder what reel size/spool diameter may work best with the guide setup on your rod. This is if you want best distance and smoothest casting.

34 mins ago, BassPD said:

200 or 250, 150 on an 11’ would feel unbalanced 

Agreed, I'd use a 250 on an 11' . 150 would be unbalanced and undergunned. 250 is the best all around size IMO, at least for me.

VS 200, would be my preference.  the 150 feels small on a 10ft rod unless it is a very light rod.

I have a 1-4oz 10' Century stealth with VS 150 and if feels good but on a 2-5 10' rod it doesnt feel right and i prefer the vs200

If you're used to fishing a vr150 on it then go with a vr200 cause a vsx200 will feel like a cinder block compared to what you've been using. I have it on a 1-3 vaportrail and you can cast it forever. 

I would recommend at least a VS200 on a 11' rood. A VS150 will do the job but 2 things in consideration: balance and guide layout. both will affect the casting distances and a too-small reel make the system hard to cast for long distance.