foxfai

Third time offender....

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 4:21 AM, Ben Lippen said:

It aint ever gonna be tall enough.

Just ask Hadrian....

Hi

A Northumbian here from just north of the wall. Hadrian had plenty of guys to man his wall , watchtowers every few hundred yards , mile castle every mile and big forts every 10 miles or so . The secret weapon wasnt the wall it was the ditch or vallum on the North side of the wall , this seriously hampered the success of any charging red haired beardy hoards from Caledonia. Great east west supply road call the stanegate with ports at either end

Not the best posting in the Roman Empire but the guys were well looked after. 

Jim

39 mins ago, Highlandsaltyfly said:

Hi

A Northumbian here from just north of the wall. Hadrian had plenty of guys to man his wall , watchtowers every few hundred yards , mile castle every mile and big forts every 10 miles or so . The secret weapon wasnt the wall it was the ditch or vallum on the North side of the wall , this seriously hampered the success of any charging red haired beardy hoards from Caledonia. Great east west supply road call the stanegate with ports at either end

Not the best posting in the Roman Empire but the guys were well looked after. 

Jim

Well now I have to dig out my Mark Knopfler Northumbrian cd.

4 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Well now I have to dig out my Mark Knopfler Northumbrian cd.

Check out the song Coming to Philadelphia, about Jeremiah Dixon from NE England, a surveyor who co created the mason Dixon line. I have a number of relatives that followed Jeremiah and some who came back!! Jim

9 mins ago, Highlandsaltyfly said:

Check out the song Coming to Philadelphia, about Jeremiah Dixon from NE England, a surveyor who co created the mason Dixon line. I have a number of relatives that followed Jeremiah and some who came back!! Jim

I know the song. Huge fan of Knopfler :)