foxfai

Third time offender....

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, kurazy kracka said:

I bet these guys have a tank of some sort in their car and sell em live for big bucks.  Have the same type of people doing it down here in MD and regularly get busted but they make so much $ off it that they are ok with an occasional fine.

For sure. The Morningstar captain won't let a live tog taken onto the dock when they return from a trip! 

7 hours ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Well the NJ recreational community did vote against a SWL so you can't fault the law makers for only being able to enforce the freshwater thing.  

It's the way it works.  

If you're a deadbeat dad you can't buy hunting or fishing licenses.  But you can Saltwater fish all you want.  

If you get 3 fish and game citations you lose your privilege for 5 years.  This can be any type of violation.  But you can't enforce it on saltwater since there is no license.  you guys can't have it both ways.  Maybe setting the guys up in front of a firing squad can be pushed through.  

IMO I don't believe these guys give two sh--s about a salt water license even if it was required, they are LAW BREAKERS, lol

Hi

The fines won't stop them

Theyhave a market for their fish, it's down to money at the

end of the day. The restauranteurs and ultimately the customers probably don't give a fig about the legality of the fish on the plate.

Perhaps you need to police the restaurant, whack them with a fine when food inspector s find under sized fish in their kitchens?

Jim

2 hours ago, wantofish said:

IMO I don't believe these guys give two sh--s about a salt water license even if it was required, they are LAW BREAKERS, lol

I would buy a license.  

Hey, wait a minute. 

12 hours ago, kurazy kracka said:

I bet these guys have a tank of some sort in their car and sell em live for big bucks.  Have the same type of people doing it down here in MD and regularly get busted but they make so much $ off it that they are ok with an occasional fine.

Absolutely!!!! They make way to much doing it. The occasional fine is just the cost of them doing business. And they don't care if you take their Walmart special rod and reel. 

Seizing boat/car etc seems like  a money loser for the state. The property would need to stored someplace and storage fees add up. Property rarely is worth the effort like that. Higher fines would take the profit out of the poaching. By third time you are caught fines up to 10,000 should be in the running. 

12 hours ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Well the NJ recreational community did vote against a SWL so you can't fault the law makers for only being able to enforce the freshwater thing.  

It's the way it works.  

If you're a deadbeat dad you can't buy hunting or fishing licenses.  But you can Saltwater fish all you want.  

If you get 3 fish and game citations you lose your privilege for 5 years.  This can be any type of violation.  But you can't enforce it on saltwater since there is no license.  you guys can't have it both ways.  Maybe setting the guys up in front of a firing squad can be pushed through.  

There's no "license" for salt water, but there is the free "registry."  Not allowed to legally fish the salt without it.  Really, except for the fees, what's the difference?

Simply suspend their registration, and have horrific fines/penalties in place if caught fishing the salt while your registration is suspended.

No?

FWIW here's the relevant number to call if you witness shenanigans: NJDEP Hotline (877) WARNDEP or (877) 927-6337

Apparently someone from another forum spotted undersized tog at a supermarket, called the above number, and the DEP handed out a sheaf of summons to the store, AND got back in contact with the caller very next day. I've been "patrolling" my local markets that carry live fish...so far, haven't seen anything undersized. 

I really would like to see commercial togging banned altogether, but the wild to tank live fish trade has got to end.

Unfortunately as soon as I saw tog and multiple offenses I could have gotten within a few letters of the last names..I'm probably a bigot and a profiler, but it gets ridiculous after a while...

Several weeks ago I read a report where several people were caught with a large number of undersized stripers. They were caught while fishing in the Manasquan area. The cops caught one guy with 29 shorts! I have not seen any follow up about what punishment was handed down to them. From what I read the conservation officers were very effective in apprehending these poachers.  

8 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

There's no "license" for salt water, but there is the free "registry."  Not allowed to legally fish the salt without it.  Really, except for the fees, what's the difference?

Simply suspend their registration, and have horrific fines/penalties in place if caught fishing the salt while your registration is suspended.

No?

The free registration is federal, isnt it?  I mean, youd think the state and feds could get on the same page about enforcement but probably not.