How about the best fishing story of your life

Rate this topic

Ditchbag

not best ever, but I bought a $25 pencil at red top at about 9 am one random wednesday that I had off from work. Snapped off on the first cast and the current was moving fast. A guy to my left was hooked up as well as a guy to my right so I re-tied and kept fishing... 8 hours later and 6 miles east, I saw that blue pencil bobbing up and down like it was waiting for me. A few days later I caught my personal best with it.. So a $25 dollar piece of wood actually has some meaning to it now

Late 70's fishing off Race Point with my Dad and Uncle in their 14' Mirrorcraft. I was around 10. Every night after supper we'd push off and go look for bluefish and they'd let me heave Herter's Poppers at them for a few hours. It was one of those freaky calm sunset times at the Race, no surface activity but every cast a Bluefish would blast the popper. 2 Fish box's full and my dad says last cast. I fire one out there make 2 pulls and a bluefish swirls but misses it. I keep working it and he misses again. Then he makes another swirl but this time jumps right out of the water over the plug, and right behind him is a giant bluefin and he engulfs the popper. I rear back on my 8 foot lamiglass and the drag on the Crack starts screaming. Everyone is yelling my dad tells my uncle to grab a hold of me so I don't go out of the boat. Well naturally the line breaks and we're just sitting there starring at each other. All of a sudden the a Tuna makes a swirl at right at the boat and it makes it pitch a little. At this point panic hits and my Dad is trying to pull start the 25HP Johnson but it won't start because he had left it in gear. Finally figures it out and off we go. My Dad is gone now but those memories of camping at the Race always make me smile

I was pretty new at this game.  I was fishing at Plum Island with nylon braid on an ancient Ocean City Inductor. Wasn't too far from the cottage I was staying at. I had a plug on the rod and a tin in my pocket. Somehow I snapped off my plug and leader. I walked up to a young guy with a fancy conventional rod and reel setup and asked if he had any heavy mono I could snag  to tie a new leader. He told me he no longer used mono, but used a new material called florocarbon and gave me a bout 4 feet of Seagar 40. 

I don't use Florocarbon any more, but Bill taught me a lot and Is still a very good friend. I'll probably be ice fishing with him soon. That's just one of the good stories.. I have a whole bunch of brothers I've met through surfcasting, I hope that I don't lose touch with them now that I am unable to plug all night anymore.

Edited by Stewie

.........Elvis lives....2020

OK  Stewie, here we go.

So I'm about 14 years old and I peddle my bike about 33miles to plumb Island with a Montague rod strapped to the bike.

This is before Surf land was built.

So i'm down by the jety fishen between to big guys.

Next morn at sun up I have a 35lber on either side of me on eels and zip on my wooden plug.

So  get on my bike and peddle about 33 miles back.

the end.

17 hours ago, Stewie said:

I was pretty new at this game.  I was fishing at Plum Island with nylon braid on an ancient Ocean City Inductor. Wasn't too far from the cottage I was staying at. I had a plug on the rod and a tin in my pocket. Somehow I snapped off my plug and leader. I walked up to a young guy with a fancy conventional rod and reel setup and asked if he had any heavy mono I could snag  to tie a new leader. He told me he no longer used mono, but used a new material called florocarbon and gave me a bout 4 feet of Seagar 40. 

I don't use Florocarbon any more, but Bill taught me a lot and Is still a very good friend. I'll probably be ice fishing with him soon. That's just one of the good stories.. I have a whole bunch of brothers I've met through surfcasting, I hope that I don't lose touch with them now that I am unable to plug all night anymore.

Stewie in life as we fish from place to place we often come across others with the same interests and love for fishing that we have. In the majority of cases we find another person of like mind and heart that share the experiences . Unfortunately you also can run into those rare ones that only are concerned about them self and seemed pissed of at the world and remain mad at you for no reason. It takes so much less effort to smile rather then frowning . I know one thing my friend I am glad to call you my brother as in the good book of life tells us all we should be to one another . :howdy::theman:

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

16 hours ago, oldgoat said:

OK  Stewie, here we go.

So I'm about 14 years old and I peddle my bike about 33miles to plumb Island with a Montague rod strapped to the bike.

Next morn at sun up I have a 35lber on either side of me on eels and zip on my wooden plug.

the end.

When you was riding your bike to fish I was riding the T to my favorite haunt in Southy . You should have seen the looks of the other riders to see a young Roxbury child of the street sitting on a seat with all of the gear rod and reel bait and lunch looking at me like they had never seen any one going fishing before. The best part was coming home with all of the gear and a few fish . WE had to exchange from between the bus and the streetcar and even walk home at times because we missed the last ride at 1 in the morning. Thems were the days when Whitey controlled the streets with his small gang of thugs . The stories those streets could tell , if only they could talk.  Peter it is a bitch getting old , but the old memories keep us alive a little longer as we still remain fishing till the end.

Life member M.B.B.A #509

3 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

When you was riding your bike to fish I was riding the T to my favorite haunt in Southy . You should have seen the looks of the other riders to see a young Roxbury child of the street sitting on a seat with all of the gear rod and reel bait and lunch looking at me like they had never seen any one going fishing before. The best part was coming home with all of the gear and a few fish . WE had to exchange from between the bus and the streetcar and even walk home at times because we missed the last ride at 1 in the morning. Thems were the days when Whitey controlled the streets with his small gang of thugs . The stories those streets could tell , if only they could talk.  Peter it is a bitch getting old , but the old memories keep us alive a little longer as we still remain fishing till the end.

A1 Just keep on laughing and smiling.

10 mins ago, oldgoat said:

A1 Just keep on laughing and smiling.

Peter my friend that is all we have left to do, to maintain the mind set old age garners. It makes it a whole lot easier on the heart and soul when you know that you still have a few brothers to discuss the issues of life with. :heart: 

Life member M.B.B.A #509

16 hours ago, oldgoat said:

OK  Stewie, here we go.

the end.

there are numerous parts of this story that would get Child Protective Services called on your parents if it happened today... good one... 

• 3 weeks later...

I was fishing on the interior of bc with my grandpa and we were on a small mountain lake. I had just got a new fishing rod (fenwick hmg) and I was super excited to use it.The weather was not very good at all it was kind of foggy and was drizzling rain. We were in a little tin boat in the middle of a lake. We hadn’t heard any thunder or seen any lightning but there was so much static electricity in the air that my fishing rod was shocking me.I went to do a two handed cast and I grabbed the metal ring on the bottom of my handle and it was electrocuting me. At one point it was shocking me through the handle and not just the metal ring. I put my rod in the boat and it started raining. We have seen around five bears in this area before but we go to shore because of thunder and lightning. When we get to shore we get off the boat and my grandpa decides that it’s a good time to eat pepperoni. In bear county. Being a 13 y/o boy of course I accepted it and ate it but it probably wasn’t the safest thing to do. We didn’t get attacked by bears and I didn’t get struck by lightning but it sure was close

On 1/30/2019 at 3:23 PM, oldgoat said:

OK  Stewie, here we go.

the end.

Did you take a nap 

#1 Freshwater-

Summer between 8 and 9th grade in Lake Champlain at St. Albens, trolling a Red Devil while my friend rowed his grandfather's row boat- first and only Northern Pike (Big fish) when I did not have a clue what I was doing.

#1 Salt water- About 12 years ago, mid August, sun high in the sky and hot-Mousom River Kennebunk.

I was with a Vietnamese guy from work and his many brothers who fish- out past the mouth on an outgoing tide with shots and sneakers-feet constantly running to avoid getting pushed over or further out throwing mackerel chunks-hooked into a fat 35 inch striper which was much harder to land due to no footing. It was nice to hold up the fish to the snobby, elitist fly fishermen wearing their Orvis outfits, when I was able to get back to shore.