Ditchbag

How about the best fishing story of your life

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

One of my favorite fishing stories happened in Alaska with a guide named Frank on a side stream of the Yukon river . we were pike fishing I hooked into a 25-inch Pike and it was swimming at me with its head out of the water sideways. Then I realized there was a 50 inch Pike  latched onto the little one . It didn't let go till it hit the side of the boat I pulled the 25 inch Pike in and  it had bite marks about 5 in wide on both sides bit it right in the middle. I can't say for sure if I caught that Pike or not but my dad and I  both caught 50 inch Pike on that trip the best part was being there with my dad

Not whacked (yet). Best story is similar to yours, but I was about 8 at the time. Loved to fish, though no one in my family did. Don't ask me how I got into it--I don't know. Anyway, I pestered my  dad into taking me fishing on the Delaware River, because I figured I'd catch something big there (read about the river in some magazine). He had no idea what to do, we'd only gone a few times with my Christmas-present fishing pole in the local ponds for sunnies. So he drives like one and a half hours out there from North Jersey--before GPS or any of that stuff--and we have no idea where to fish or even access the river. No boat, mind you. So we stop and ask a road crew where they'd recommend, and one guy tells us about a pull-off somewhere in Belvidere, NJ. We park there and bush-whack to the bank of the river. 

Now, I don't really know how to fish at this point, so I do the worm/bobber thing and start bailing big sunnies. All of the sudden, as I'm reeling in a sunnie almost at the bank, the line starts acting weird. I keep reeling, and then I see the biggest muskie I've ever encountered has hold of the sunnie crosswise in his mouth. My young mind probably exaggerated the size of the fish, but I was sure that it was at least four feet long at the time. Anyway, I know the only bigger fish I've caught in freshwater since was a chinook. The whole episode lasted only a few seconds--the muskie saw the bank and let go of the half-dead sunnie, but it was incredibly cool, especially given that it happened while I was with my dad who was trying to humor his fishing-obsessed son. I'm sure he would have rather been home watching baseball.   

Edited by GBS

Not really a good story but I hooked something huge at the Merrimack this year. It just kept taking line as if it wasn't attached to anything. I ended up cutting the line. Figured it was a sturgeon or something due to the sightings the week prior. 

12 mins ago, Astronaut said:

Not really a good story but I hooked something huge at the Merrimack this year. It just kept taking line as if it wasn't attached to anything. I ended up cutting the line. Figured it was a sturgeon or something due to the sightings the week prior. 

Quite likely.  I was next to a kid who foul hooked one this spring and you'd have thought it was a submarine.  Took about 30 minutes to land.

When I was a kid, I had something put its head up out of the water and look at me. I couldn't really see it clearly. I was on a walkway 8' over it at high tide. Thing just looked at me. Scared the *** out of me. "We were trying different things and smoking funny things back then". Took years to figure out is was most likely a seal. Never saw one anywhere in those days there before or ever again. The spot was haunted for a long time.

One of many but the best with granddaughters.

Almost ten years ago I called an on line sporting outfit and stated that half the population are girls. How come no pink fishen rods?

They must know that I can yell because three pink rods got shipped and away we go.

Chubs for bait.Fighting because the oldest didn't catch the largest fish. Someone had a better spot than me.

At the end of the day one of the best days of my life.

The girls have switched from fish to boys  but I still have the memories.

34 mins ago, oldgoat said:

One of many but the best with granddaughters.

Almost ten years ago I called an on line sporting outfit and stated that half the population are girls. How come no pink fishen rods?

They must know that I can yell because three pink rods got shipped and away we go.

Chubs for bait.Fighting because the oldest didn't catch the largest fish. Someone had a better spot than me.

At the end of the day one of the best days of my life.

The girls have switched from fish to boys  but I still have the memories.

Priceless memories right there, OG!

Last year just before labor day weekend, a very close friend of mine lost his Aunt, his Dad's youngest sister, at 46 to an unexpected heart attack. He and his dad both love to fish but don't get out as much as they would like. The wake was on the Saturday of Labor day weekend and on Sunday my brother and I got a text from our friend and his dad asking us all to get together and fish on Monday. Sure enough we all woke up before the sun on Monday morning and went out for a few hours. We were welcomed by a beautiful sunrise and weather. We didn't land any huge fish or any huge numbers of fish but we found some decent ones and thats all that mattered. You could see how welcome of a break it was for them to get their minds off of their loss. Something I won't soon forget

I'll try to keep this thing going with the fishing stories I think that's a lot better than reading about all this other crap that's on a fishing site. Again was fishing in Alaska for Pike hooked one on a Heddon topwater mouse that had an aluminum propeller in front of a topwater lure .A big giant thing came in and engolfed it. Swam straight into a tree top that was in the water few tugs here and there and the line broke because we're only using 17 lb test mono.Took a bit of a break ate a sammich then started fishing again this time casting a Blue Fox vibrax number 6 silver one of my favorite pike lures. Hooked into something Giant had a lot of weight to it got it to the boat after a few minutes cuz Pike don't have any lung power .It was the same fish I had hooked earlier with the headon top water Mouse in it's Mouth .That Pike was 52 in Long. Best part was I had my dad my brother a few cousins and a few close friends along what an awesome memory that trip was.

On 12/13/2018 at 10:52 AM, PlumFishing said:

Quite likely.  I was next to a kid who foul hooked one this spring and you'd have thought it was a submarine.  Took about 30 minutes to land.

Or a carp depending on where u were. But id put my money on a sturgeon.

Ok I new Frank V.. We were kids that fished together before the family moved to the Cape.

About thirty plus years later I get a call from Frank that he is coming down to visit alone but with a fourteen ft. tin boat on the roof of his fifty something sedan.

He left his wife and seven kids at home.

I told him that I had a boat and next door neighbor had a boat, but frank just got this boat and wanted to try it out.

The weather was not nice so we fished to the west side of Monomy in Nantucket sound.

Since the weather was easterly my fisher neighbor Charlie Melby joined us and we would fish tight to the beach and drift away, go back to the beach

During one of the drifts a small plane flew over back and fourth finally landing in front of Joe Manson's camp.  Out goes the anchor and out comes a gorgeous babe and a guy

Oh ya it was a pontoon plane.

After a few drifts we looked up and saw the plane a bout fifteen hundred ft. off shore

and since we were in a low tin boat we could not see if anyone was in the plane.

So like little school kids laughing we approached the plane,pulld up the five feet of anchor line and started towing our giant catch heading for the fish pier.

Just then the piolet comes out of the camp and starts walking into the water.

As we approach the guy Frank wearing his YELLOWBIRD cap asks the guy were he got his pilots license?

Frank worked at Logan for yellowbird before it was bought out by Delta.

Well needless to say we laughed are asses off heading home with the largest catch I ever caught.

Yup we released it to fly another day.

End of the largest catch story.