aglenn

VR Not Dunkable - Anti-Reverse issues

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

Sent my VR200 back to VS back at the beginning of September.  Just got a call to go pick it up from the local tackle shop a couple days ago.  Come to find that I owe a pretty substantial amount of money because all of the interior parts of my reel were rusted out.  I used the reel primarily from the rocks and dunked it on occassion, but never swam with it or reeled it under water.  I took the reel back because it lost all Anti-Reverse and now have this reel I can no longer trust.

Has anyone else had experiences with this yet?  I know the reel is still brand new to the market.  I would've told you, had the Anti-Reverse not broken, that my reel was in 100% perfect shape.  There was nothing that would've hinted at the fact that the interior was rusted out.  

Wow. This is a bummer.  The fact that you had to pay for the repair just makes it even worse. 

Does this qualify as a product "unfit for its intended use"

It is touted as a submersible fully waterproof reel. 

Any products liability lawyers out there?    

I had some squeaking and small resistance develop on my reel and they replaced what they refer to as the “transmission” at no cost to me other than shipping their way.  The VR series has had a few issues here and there but for the most part it is a solid reel and Zebco seems to stands behind their product.  I would suggest dealing with the main office directly, if you call their number, someone in OK will pick up the phone. 

Thanks leopinetree - I'm going to wait for Craig to get back to me and see what he will do.  Someone from OK responded to my email today letting me know that it was not a warranty issue, so we'll see where it goes.

But yeah - extermely disappointing.  I always rinse my reels after using them and really don't ever use my Van Staals for what they're capable of.  So far I've had this problem with the VR and maybe 3 or 4 years ago had a VS break in half at the seam in the middle of the body.  I was too young to put up a fight then, but they didn't pay for that either.

Hopefully other people don't have the same issues.

1 hour ago, aglenn said:

I know the reel is still brand new to the market. 

The VR is not that new to the market. Since it’s release there has been a lot of mixed reviews, and problems. The first time I ever handled a VR, I was shocked that VS would introduce a cheap feeling reel like this. 

As a VS/VSB owner, I can tell you, the VR is not even in the same league as a REAL VS. Your problems with the VR are not unique. My advice to anyone looking to plunk down 500 plus bucks on the VR, buy a Penn Slammer 3 (better reel) and use the change to buy a new rod.

1 hour ago, ThirstyOwl III said:

Wow. This is a bummer.  The fact that you had to pay for the repair just makes it even worse. 

Does this qualify as a product "unfit for its intended use"

It is touted as a submersible fully waterproof reel. 

Any products liability lawyers out there?    

Yes. Sue them, sue them HARD! Make them pay!

The fact that VS does not sell a lefty version reel is also quite dissapointing!!! They had the vs250 and vs150 but now they dont make 250 anymore..... something in the 200 size for lefty is needed.... it just goes against their moto "no limitations" because obviously there are

Wow.  I'd be interested in hearing about follow up discussions on this.  For 30 years I've fished mostly low/mid level gear.  I've been seriously considering getting some high end stuff for myself for Xmas... with VS being a serious contender because I do a lot in the surf and I'm typically out there in the water.

If this is the type of customer service you get when you spend that kind of money on a reel that is supposed to be "no limitations"... I'll pass.

This is so weird, I've fully dunked my vr200 quite a few times, even used the rod as a walking stick with zero issues. Just cleaned it after, and there's no water inside. Just as tight/smooth as the day I bought it.

My VR175 had drag problems after 2 months (local shop fixed it under warranty) and then I blew out the AR 2 months later (also fixed under warranty.) My local shop told me they were seeing major problems with AR on all VR sizes. That was enough for me....sold reel, bought a VSX and haven't looked back. 

Why would you send in such a easy reel to service is my ? This reel like all reels need to be cleaned greased often mostly if you are going to dunk it . At all just because its sealed does not mean to wait to service it ! If it was rusted inside that means the seal on the top of the clutch failed. If you took you reel apart to clean it more often you would have found issue sooner !

7 mins ago, shark lobster said:

Why would you send in such a easy reel to service is my ? This reel like all reels need to be cleaned greased often mostly if you are going to dunk it . At all just because its sealed does not mean to wait to service it ! If it was rusted inside that means the seal on the top of the clutch failed. If you took you reel apart to clean it more often you would have found issue sooner !

Completely disagree. This a $500 sealed reel....it's not a 30 year old Penn that needs to be opened and cleaned after every dunk. My shop recommends servicing once per year and they know their chit. 

2 mins ago, FlukeOff said:

Completely disagree. This a $500 sealed reel....it's not a 30 year old Penn that needs to be opened and cleaned after every dunk. My shop recommends servicing once per year and they know their chit. 

No it’s not. It’s a $500 reel with a sealed and waterproof drag. 

Regardless, everything has seals, thats doesn’t mean waterproof. 

The vr is a light version of the vsx/vs. 

I have a VR 125 that had a similar issue.  Upper seal of the transmission failed which rusted out the anti-reverse.  This was after a year of heavy use.  Called VS and ordered about $20 of parts to fix the problem.  Have to say, this reel is one of the easiest to service on your own.  I also have a VR50 now that has been rock solid all season.

2 different reels. There is a VR50 with a VS style sealed spool and the larger VR. 

I swam with my VR50 and it was waterproof. No question about it. 

I have a VR150 that has never leaked, and another I bought for a close friend that I have sent in twice (under warranty) for AR & radial bearing failure. VS just change the pinion assembly. Like a $65 part. 

It is crazy a “sealed” reel will leak like that, but a $65 pinion assembly isn’t too bad. 

I dont think a waterproof reel needs to be relubicated less than 1 year from normal use.