All inclusive resort suggestions

Rate this topic

youngsalt

My two cents is that four days isn't enough time for an international trip...... How much of that is travel time?

I personally, don't care for all inclusive but I understand it.

I've been to Punta Cana. It's basically a luxury prison. You can leave the gate but you will likely get raped.

Go to the Florida Keys. It will be a little more expensive than an all inclusive resort but it’s also cleaner, safer and nicer than any of the third world country resorts. I stayed st Secrets Punta Cana a couple years ago and they have armed guards at all of the entrances and the beach.  Plus just about everyone that goes there ends up puking for a day. 

Fly into Fort Lauderdale, rent a car and drive to the middle keys.  It’s great. I’ve been a few times and going back again in a few weeks to Cheeca Lodge in Islamorada. 

Me, wife and 2 kids (15 and 12 at the time) stayed at Melia Paradisus Esmeralda in Riviera Maya/Playa del Carmen in November 2017.  It was really nice but I won’t go back to Mexico.  I read too many articles about the drugging and illegal booze.  I tried cancelling the trip and switching it to the Caribbean.  I than read somewhere that the Bahamas is the sexual assault capital of that region.  Trip to Mexico was paid so we took a chance and went.  

Resort was awesome, staff was great, food very good.  Resort was in a crappy area of town though.  We did a guided tour with just our family, 2 guides and another family.  That was great, also.  Went to Mayan ruins, dived in a few cenotes and then ate lunch at a restaurant on the beach, on the sand.  Everybody was eager to please us as visitors to their part of the country.  

My son and I then went on a panga fishing trip with Capt Roberto Navarro about 30 minutes from our resort.  Took a cab to the marina.  The driver spoke better English than people up here in New Jersey.  Anyway, we caught a few amberjack.  Jigging from about 300 feet deep I think.  First time I ever did a charter like that.  I think the captain is a pro for Black Hole rods.

While in the boat, probably a half mile from the beach, a horn blew real close to us.  All 4 of us on the boat turned around and there was a Mexican navy or coast guard boat very close to us. The crew had machine guns, hand guns and cell phones.  My worst nightmare was just about realized!  We tied up to their boat and two officer-type guys boarded the panga.  They checked the captains paperwork.  They fined him for not having a jar of sand on board to help put out a fire and also because we weren’t wearing life jackets.  We put some on and the military boat left.  Pretty exciting.

So the trip was pretty great.  However, we won’t do it again.  Too many stories out there about lawlessness in Mexico. Why risk it?  If we do a similar trip we’ll choose the Keys or somewhere close.

1A7D0694-20C8-4173-B6BC-7DD95B14C25A.jpeg

2746C57E-AD27-4F88-AD46-071FE13ACCC2.jpeg

Edited by Sam3631

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 0:15 AM, GooganFish said:

My two cents is that four days isn't enough time for an international trip...... How much of that is travel time?

I personally, don't care for all inclusive but I understand it.

I've been to Punta Cana. It's basically a luxury prison. You can leave the gate but you will likely get raped.

I agree with the prison part. I just got back from a week in Punta Cana. While our expensive all exclusive resort was nice if you walk the beach in either direction you will be stopped by the next resort and sent back.

We paid about 500 bucks to go on a buggy excursion that turned out to be basically a kidnapping. While we did get to technical drive buggies they are extremely beat up and slow. You had to stay single file and follow the guide. He lead us to the beach first were we got to stand there for 20 minutes getting swarmed by natives trying to sell junk and dont take no thank you for an answer. Next we drove to a shack were they tried to sell us coffee and crap they grow and grind etc. Finally we drove to a little cave were you can jump in and get out while they 50 people in line behind you make it impossible to take a photo. 

We been on excursions in Mexico that were a dream compared to Punta Cana 

On 1/19/2019 at 5:46 PM, Patrick Cambria said:

I agree with the prison part. I just got back from a week in Punta Cana. While our expensive all exclusive resort was nice if you walk the beach in either direction you will be stopped by the next resort and sent back.

We paid about 500 bucks to go on a buggy excursion that turned out to be basically a kidnapping. While we did get to technical drive buggies they are extremely beat up and slow. You had to stay single file and follow the guide. He lead us to the beach first were we got to stand there for 20 minutes getting swarmed by natives trying to sell junk and dont take no thank you for an answer. Next we drove to a shack were they tried to sell us coffee and crap they grow and grind etc. Finally we drove to a little cave were you can jump in and get out while they 50 people in line behind you make it impossible to take a photo. 

We been on excursions in Mexico that were a dream compared to Punta Cana 

Hey Patrick I am going to Punta Cana in a couple of weeks. Did you fish from the beach at all?

(*member formerly known as 'ER31400')