GUIDANCE NEEDED: Fly Fishing Western States

Rate this topic

MagDarter

Hey All,

Planning a bachelor party for a long time friend of mine in a western state i.e. Colorado, Montana, Utah, etc. sometime in August.  Looking for some guidance on fishing opportunities.  We will likely stay a minimum of 5 nights and would like to target wild trout on dry flies and nymphs.  Would also like to target bigger fish if possible.  We are restricted to wading as we won’t have any drift boats or float tubes.  

From the research I’ve done so far I stumbled across a spot called boxwood gulch in Colorado which seems to produce some nice fish.  

Thanks in advance. 

Mag 

Edited by MagDarter

Does it have to be August?  The West saw much drought this past summer and August had lots of voluntary closures, wildfires, extremely low water levels.  If it were me I would be sure I had a tailwater close by as an option.  I always recommend Steamboat given you have the Yampa, Fish Creek, the Colorado, North Park, you can do a day trip to the Frying Pan or to the Blue and you have the Stagecoach tailwater too. Not all wild trout for sure but a lot of variation. Stay somewhere with options in August...that's my advice. 

Montana, Idaho, Yellowstone Park can be tough in August. Water levels are often low, and hatches can be sparse. Hopper fishing can be good in the big rivers, and a day on the Yellowstone in the park is worth the price of admission if you've never been. Perhaps northern MT is a good option as well;  Missouri River, Big Hole, Big Horn, etc. Better hatches that time of year. 

Sounds like a great time. Let us know what you decide. 

Alan

3 hours ago, bushshark said:

Does it have to be August?  The West saw much drought this past summer and August had lots of voluntary closures, wildfires, extremely low water levels.  If it were me I would be sure I had a tailwater close by as an option.  I always recommend Steamboat given you have the Yampa, Fish Creek, the Colorado, North Park, you can do a day trip to the Frying Pan or to the Blue and you have the Stagecoach tailwater too. Not all wild trout for sure but a lot of variation. Stay somewhere with options in August...that's my advice. 

Those are all pretty big rivers I’m assuming if I’m going to fish them effectively I’ll need a water craft right? 

2 hours ago, Gilbey said:

Montana, Idaho, Yellowstone Park can be tough in August. Water levels are often low, and hatches can be sparse. Hopper fishing can be good in the big rivers, and a day on the Yellowstone in the park is worth the price of admission if you've never been. Perhaps northern MT is a good option as well;  Missouri River, Big Hole, Big Horn, etc. Better hatches that time of year. 

Sounds like a great time. Let us know what you decide. 

Alan

Similar to my last comment I think a float plan is required right? 

7 mins ago, Stonefish said:

August can be a tough time with fires, poor air conditions and hoot owl closures due to water temps.

How many will be in your group? 

SF

4-5 max.  Based on the feedback it seems like we need to rethink our plans.  We really wanted to hit up Olympic national park and try for steelhead but It seems like that’s way too early for the run there too.  

No guide or boat needed around West Yellowstone. Just follow the crowds ;) . Joking aside, plenty of land based wading opportunities in that region. The Missouri can be fished on foot in some areas. Big Horn and Big Hole are generally float rivers, big water with overgrown banks and limited access. 

August is a great time to visit the ONP, especially weather wise.

You'll catch fish and maybe a summerrun steelhead, but August certainly doesn't offer the best fishing.

If you wanted to catch salmon, August would be a decent bet for fly fishing the beach on Puget Sound.

Coho will be available and since it is a odd year, so will pink salmon.

I've got some possible trout options for you in August.

Let me think about this a bit and I'll send you a PM.

SF

I live in Montana, and I don't think there is a worse fishing month than August.

Those rainbows you're seeing at Boxwood are spent brood stock (fish used for breeding purposes). Fine if thats your thing but no way is any trout naturally growing into the thirties in that tiny little stream, or any river around here. CO fisheries heavily rely on stocking so if fish being wild is important I would look elsewhere. 

13 mins ago, matt_man said:

I live in Montana, and I don't think there is a worse fishing month than August.

Those rainbows you're seeing at Boxwood are spent brood stock (fish used for breeding purposes). Fine if thats your thing but no way is any trout naturally growing into the thirties in that tiny little stream, or any river around here. CO fisheries heavily rely on stocking so if fish being wild is important I would look elsewhere. 

Thanks!  I’m totally clueless to the western fishery which is why I defaulted to this thread for guidance.  Seems like the month of August is beat we may have to explore elsewhere possibly the salt... 

• 1 month later...