Ocg_89

Reel match for 10’-6” ODM Frontier X

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I live near pacifica on the San Mateo county coast, I have a 10’-6” 3/4-4oz ODM Frontier X, im looking for suggestions on what reel you guys would recommend I pair it with for this upcoming surf striper season. I’ve been doing some homework and looking at all the forums, and with the new year comes new gear so the one thing besides waders and lures im going to buy is a new reel, not looking to spend a fortune but also nothing cheap, maybe $150-$500 range (i know its a little much for our weat coast stripeds but I will be going to mexico for surf fishing as well).........at least this justifies my spending to myself :) thanks for the help.

5D64D0D8-2AC8-4BC4-94AC-678CB281C348.jpeg

6D42C449-E8DF-43FD-9474-A5751A916D1E.jpeg

Super sweet rod by the way.  Where’s the Striper and when’s the season for around Pacifica San Mateo county by the way? I came from the Central Valley and still go back there to Stockton/Lodi area to fish 

Thanks, Ill have to check that reel out. I just bought a Penn Slammer 3 4500 on sale on Amazon for $125 so I couldn't pass it up but I'm wishing I would've bought the 5500 instead as the 4500 doesn't seem to balance out the rod too great. The striper season out on the SM county coast is May-ish through August, and they are all up and down the coast, I usually fish Pacifica or San Francisco, right now is the time to hit the stockton area, there stripers are biting out there right now!

Lots of options, models,  service your own reels etc.

Though dunking is unlikely in NorCal coast, accidents can happen, so something to consider.

Personal biased recommendation; Stradic 5000, Saragosa 6000SW, Biomaster 6000SW.

On 12/21/2018 at 6:04 PM, Ocg_89 said:

Thanks, Ill have to check that reel out. I just bought a Penn Slammer 3 4500 on sale on Amazon for $125 so I couldn't pass it up but I'm wishing I would've bought the 5500 instead as the 4500 doesn't seem to balance out the rod too great. The striper season out on the SM county coast is May-ish through August, and they are all up and down the coast, I usually fish Pacifica or San Francisco, right now is the time to hit the stockton area, there stripers are biting out there right now!

How was the slammer 4500 out of the box, I also picked one up for $125 but it was really stiff and didn't have that new silky feel compared to my BG and Stradic reels. Would it being sealed account for that stiffness, there was also a slight rubbing sound from inside and I ended up sending it back and getting a replacement which I haven't received yet. I expected it to feel a lot better than it was and was kinda disappointed.

2 hours ago, Madraz said:

How was the slammer 4500 out of the box, I also picked one up for $125 but it was really stiff and didn't have that new silky feel compared to my BG and Stradic reels. Would it being sealed account for that stiffness, there was also a slight rubbing sound from inside and I ended up sending it back and getting a replacement which I haven't received yet. I expected it to feel a lot better than it was and was kinda disappointed.

My slammer seems fine and smooth, maybe its just the feeling of the seals. My BG is smoother but the slammer is sealed. All in all i am happy with my purchase, but I believe the 4500 is a little small for my 10’-6” Frontier. I will look to either trade it for a 5500 or sel it so I can buy the 5500. I am also happy that the reel i recieves came with tve upgraded line roller baring. Good luck with your slammer, we got a hell of a deal!

A VR175/200 should balance that rod well, and is lightweight while sealed enough to withstand most of our West Coast fishing. 

I use different reels in Mexico because you want your retrieve to be minimum 49"/crank.  That doesn't mean the VR's won't work in Mexico, I think the 200 is something like 40" per crank but you'll just have to work a little harder.

The slammers have a sealed drag, I don't think the rest of the reel is sealed, so you'll still need to be careful in sand and water.  The Penn Torque II's are better suited if you plan on dunking your reel (and want to go with Penn).

On 1/3/2019 at 0:05 PM, Mahi03 said:

A VR175/200 should balance that rod well, and is lightweight while sealed enough to withstand most of our West Coast fishing. 

I use different reels in Mexico because you want your retrieve to be minimum 49"/crank.  That doesn't mean the VR's won't work in Mexico, I think the 200 is something like 40" per crank but you'll just have to work a little harder.

The slammers have a sealed drag, I don't think the rest of the reel is sealed, so you'll still need to be careful in sand and water.  The Penn Torque II's are better suited if you plan on dunking your reel (and want to go with Penn).

Thanks, after reading a lot more on the forums, I'm now saving up for a VSX Van Staal reel. I have about $600 saved up right now, hopefully in the next 2 weeks I'll have the rest. Everyone on the other forums (mostly east coast guys) seem to recommend the VSX200 which weights around 21oz, plus my rod at 12oz would be around 33oz setup......seems somewhat heavy for continuous surf casting, but also versatile, what would you guys think about a VSX150 at only 12oz? seems kinda small for my rod. any west coast opinions on this? 

Forget the Van staal and get something like the Saragosa 6000SW, You can get two of them for the price of the VS and they are a lot lighter. Of course you might have arms like a gorilla and not mind a 22 oz anchor on the butt of your rod. lol

17 hours ago, moocks said:

Forget the Van staal and get something like the Saragosa 6000SW, You can get two of them for the price of the VS and they are a lot lighter. Of course you might have arms like a gorilla and not mind a 22 oz anchor on the butt of your rod. lol

Agree with Moocks here, although the Gosa is a fairly different route with reel choice, sacrificing the sealed factor of a reel in favor of weight and smoothness. Can't go wrong though! At the $600+ range you could likely find a used Stella or Saltiga.

A 150vsx bailed would be fine on the 9'6 Frontier.  The bail less version may seem light. (The bailed version has an extended reel foot and weighs considerably more than the bail less).

Remember the East coast guys fish different water and techniques than we do and often harsher conditions. Rarely are we swimming with our reels or fishing them underwater.  If you plan on doing so then go with a VSX, otherwise any of the other reel suggestions here should suffice.  

One last option is the ZX22, which is still on the heavy side but is sort of in between the size of a 150 and 200 VS.

Find a reel that balances. A tip heavy setup may feel heavier to fish despite lesser aggregate weight.

If you don't abuse your reels in the surf a Van Staal would not be recommended but there are alternatives like shimano or penn and the slammer 3 is actually really good for the money but a good van staal size is probably the 150 for that'll probably fit most surf rods

Hey i just wanted tk come back to this thread since i finally bought a new reel. Thank you all for you recommendations , i ended up going with a black van staal vsx200, i know, a little overkill for my area but love how well it balances the rod and i wont have to buy a reel that size for a long long time. Anyone else using a van staal out here?!

5C98F73B-FBEE-4A48-8647-DE0B7B687DAD.jpeg

BB525BE9-3D53-4955-99BF-D98D8CE9CF9A.jpeg

0E215379-EC33-41F0-B952-B28886F53458.png

944BF772-CDA4-4EF6-A2DD-8E4713A4FA1C.jpeg