Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goudacuda

off shore Black Sea bass tips

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

gonna be going out on the big Jamaica hopefully Wednesday night, any tips on how heavy my tackle should be, around how much lead I would be using, jig weights, anything, this is my first time going out on a trip that isn't inshore. thanks in advance 

You will need sinkers from 16oz to 24oz. Under normal condition 18oz will do. 12-14oz jig should be fine...

There is info on the big Jamaica web site.

Edited by levari

You'll hopefully be fishing in 160ft+, if they go all the way out to a spot like the Triple Wrecks or Carolina.

Big Sea Bass, and maybe a Cod or Pollack are in the mix.

Braid helps.  I go with 50lb mainline (braid), 20ft or so of 40lb mono (for abrasion resistance against the wreck), and I tie my rigs with 30lb test.  If you snag, you want to be able to break it off at the rig, not somewhere on your mainline.

If there's not a lot of current, you'll be fine with 16oz weights, but be prepared with some 20 and 24.

2 dropper loops about 2 feet apart with a 6/0-7/0 hook on it (you want BIG Sea Bass, not runts), and a loop at the bottom for your sinker.

If there's a good bite going, you should be able to limit out on Sea Bass pretty easily, and on bigger fish, so don't throw a bunch of 13" fish in your cooler right off the bat if you see bigger ones coming over the rail.  You want to come home with 15 Sea Bass that are about 20", in a perfect world.

Bring a spare bucket to use for bleeding your fish, and get a nice saltwater brine going in your cooler.  Take care of your catch; they're excellent eating.

Good luck, those trips can be a lot of fun.

Couple more things..............

Bring a couple of frozen Mackeral with you if you're passing a B&T between now and then.  The salted clam the boat provides works just fine, but sometimes when the bite is a little tough, the fish lose their minds over a piece of Mackeral.  Cut it into pieces about half the size of your thumb.

Also, bring a couple of jigs.  If there's hordes of smaller fish around, jigs tend to catch bigger fish, and provide a nice change of pace if you get bored with bait.

Edited by JoeyZac

5 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

You'll hopefully be fishing in 160ft+, if they go all the way out to a spot like the Triple Wrecks or Carolina.

Big Sea Bass, and maybe a Cod or Pollack are in the mix.

Braid helps.  I go with 50lb mainline (braid), 20ft or so of 40lb mono (for abrasion resistance against the wreck), and I tie my rigs with 30lb test.  If you snag, you want to be able to break it off at the rig, not somewhere on your mainline.

If there's not a lot of current, you'll be fine with 16oz weights, but be prepared with some 20 and 24.

2 dropper loops about 2 feet apart with a 6/0-7/0 hook on it (you want BIG Sea Bass, not runts), and a loop at the bottom for your sinker.

If there's a good bite going, you should be able to limit out on Sea Bass pretty easily, and on bigger fish, so don't throw a bunch of 13" fish in your cooler right off the bat if you see bigger ones coming over the rail.  You want to come home with 15 Sea Bass that are about 20", in a perfect world.

Bring a spare bucket to use for bleeding your fish, and get a nice saltwater brine going in your cooler.  Take care of your catch; they're excellent eating.

Good luck, those trips can be a lot of fun.

Couple more things..............

Bring a couple of frozen Mackeral with you if you're passing a B&T between now and then.  The salted clam the boat provides works just fine, but sometimes when the bite is a little tough, the fish lose their minds over a piece of Mackeral.  Cut it into pieces about half the size of your thumb.

Also, bring a couple of jigs.  If there's hordes of smaller fish around, jigs tend to catch bigger fish, and provide a nice change of pace if you get bored with bait.

That's all solid advice there!

Agreed, if you get a good weather window, good fun & great eating! I wish I had time to squeeze another trip in.

Hove fun and pleasee report back.

JD

^^^^^ solid info, especially when fishing deep 

How to use your VENTAFISH™
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO VENT YOUR FISH? 

Many reef-dwelling marine fish have a swim bladder that regulates buoyancy and allows them live to at different depths in the water. When one of these fish is brought to the surface at a high rate of speed, their swim bladder expands at a rapid rate putting substantial pressure on their internal organs causing eversion of stomach and distended intestines. This pressure, if not relieved quickly, prevents the fish from returning to the depths from which it came. Fish that are not properly vented remain on the surface of the water and either die due to the pressure on their organs, or are eaten by predatory fish and dolphins. 

SIGNS THAT A FISH NEEDS VENTING

Reef fish suffering from distended or burst swim bladders will present one, if not several, warning signs. The first sign is when a fish's stomach is sticking out of its mouth (this will look like a large pink tongue coming out of its mouth). Under no circumstance should an angler puncture the everted stomach or force it back into the fish! Puncturing, or placing pressure on the stomach will almost always lead to the death of the fish. 

The second sign that a fish requires venting is when you observe the fish's intestines protruding from its anus. Do not attempt to push distended intestines back into the fish.

In most instances, using proper venting procedures will ensure the fish's distended stomach and intestines will return to their normal state. Proper venting gives the fish its best chance for survival.

HOW TO PROPERLY VENT A FISH

Best practices in fish venting call for venting the fish as quickly as possible while handling the fish minimally. 

STEP 1: Hold the fish gently but firmly on its side. Place your VENTAFISH™ tool with the 45 degree front end approximately 1-2 inches from the base of the pectoral fin. 

STEP 2: After removing the saftey cap, slowly depress the plunger. The needle will penetrate the fish as you depress the plunger. Your VENTAFISH™ is designed so that it will not lock into place. Only depress the plunger enough to release the gases. The sound of the escaping air and deflation will be noticeable.

STEP 3: Return the vented fish to the water as soon as possible. If the fish is slow to respond, try reviving it by holding it with its head pointed downward while moving it back and forth to restore the circulation of water over the gills. Continue until the fish is able to swim unassisted.

Recent research indicates that when fish are vented properly mortality rates decrease significantly. This is especially important for the following reef-dwelling species: 

• Gag Grouper
  • Red Grouper
  • Red Snapper
  • Black Sea Bass
  • Other assorted freshwater and saltwater benthic species (fish with closed swim bladders).

We commend groups such as Mote Marine Laboratory and Florida Seagrant, who among others, are engaged in research regarding proper fish venting techniques, issues relating to fish mortality rates, conservation, and the effects these issues have on the reef fish population. We are doing our part to assist these groups in their continued efforts through the VENTAFISH™ Foundation

Ventafish - The best fish venting tool available and the choice of sportsmen everywhere