bonefishdick

NEW YEAR-NEW GEAR

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I got new gear, but wasn’t expecting it. I retired on January 1, and friends of the mine bought me an Orvis flyfishing vest.  It has TONS of pockets. Well, instead of fishing stuff, they loaded each of the pockets with 50ml bottles of adult beverages!  Thoughtful AND useful :howdy:

Congrats on the retirement VeeRay.

I picked up a relatively low-budget set up to use from the kayak and off certain jetties I fish where a rod with more lifting power is necessary...I got a TFO T.F.R. 8wt off the auction site, with a coupon I think I paid $ 115.  I paired it with a Ross Cimarron 2 (on close-out) as it seemed like a durable reel with decent drag.  I had been looking at the Ross CLA's, but they were going for more used than the new Cimarron I had been eyeing up. 

3 hours ago, titleguy said:

Do you work for Far Bank?  

No, I don’t work there but know folks that do.

I don’t think they’d hire me due to my lack of love of one of their product lines, lol

SF

1 hour ago, Stonefish said:

No, I don’t work there but know folks that do.

I don’t think they’d hire me due to my lack of love of one of their product lines, lol

SF

The shop my son works in just dropped them....

I got all new lines early September 2018.  Did not really get to put them through their paces so 2019 is big focus on that.  I bought the 10 weight and 12 weight Exocett Surf TH OH rods last year in June so I am geared out for while.  If possible I would love to upgrade both reels to Able's but that is probably further out like 2020 or 2021.  My reels are working fine, but could definitely be better.  So 2019's gear purchases are fly tying primarily, but I feel putting the new lines through their paces is my main goal in 2019:

1)   9 weight Rio Striper floating line: Will be using this primarily for the flats and saltmarshes

2)   9 weight Rio Striper Intermediate line: Will be using this in esturaries at night and some beaches when its really calm and I need a more delicate presentation.  The glowing running line is very interesting it lets you have a much better idea of where your fly is and how the swing is moving in current at night.  I asked Rio if they could add it to all the "Striper" series line.  If the sinking line had the glowing running line I might ditch the outbound and use the striper line for my 10wt TH OH rod.

3)  10 weight Rio Outbound floating line: Will be throwing this most the time I fish topwater and want to try more greased line swing presentations this year with the 10 weight Exocett Surf Rod

4)  10 weight Rio Outbound S6/I line: Will be throwing this on the 60% of all trips at inlets and beaches with the 10 weight Exocett Surf Rod

5)  700 grain Rio Levithan 26ft Sinking line: Will be throwing this at Canal on the 12 weight Exocett Surf rod.  I also used it in a pretty major NE storm and was able to make 50-60 foot casts in 25mph plus wind with larger conomo special flies.  I may make this my big surf fly fishing rod in addition to the Canal rod.

My take is if you don't have a TH OH fly rod you really should make that your priority to purchase in 2019 if you striper fish.  It does not have to be the Thomas and Thomas there are other decent options out there (I think T&T is best but definitely most expensive option), but for me the move to the two hand rod last year was a total game changer.  I can throw large flies further and without fatigue.  Because you can cast off both shoulders you can compensate for any wind direction and fish the spot you want to fish not the spot you can manage to fly cast.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Show season is tough for me. I feel like I have everything I could possibly need, then I walk through those doors and I just have to make a big purchase. I think I just like the feeling of owning a shiny new thing. 

Would like to upgrade my 10wt this year, currently using a St Croix Imperial and a behemoth. Also need a new intermediate line for my 9wt to fish from the boat. A spare spool for my older 4/5 Ross Cimmaron would be nice but I can't find one anywhere. 

It doesn't help that I have three very expensive hobbies. Just bought a Martin acoustic that I've wanted for a very long time. Need new irons and a driver... Just got a puppy and we have to feed him the expensive food, per my wife. Help. 

Edited by BillyBallGame