bonefishdick

NEW YEAR-NEW GEAR

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I saw this slogan on the TV and it just struck me as a great slogan

I already have a few things planned along those lines. It is going to be a very good year I think.

How many others have ideas to upgrade.

Edited by bonefishdick

It is always exciting to think of a new year and new gear to go with it.  I for one have pledged to only get new gear if I decide to go to a new, unfamiliar location.  I have gear to match almost any fishing location I've already been to.

I'm going to try my best to avoid any big purchases, I always fail though. This year I failed in a big way. I do think I will pick up a few lines though.

I've had some failures this fall, so no waiting until the new year as I fish year round.

One advantage to living in a rather temperate.area.

New rod

Several new lines

New wading boots - Oysters and barnacles did a number on the previous pair

New waders

I'm sure I'll buy something else though. Driving by a fly shop on my commute home every day doesn't help.

Damn place is like a magnet to my car......

SF

I'm heading to Puerto Rico next week and going through my gear I can't find anything I can justify upgrading! Can't even come up with any flies I need to tie I've stockpiled so much over the years. That said I'm thinking an actual store bought stripping basket just to see what that's like. Neoprene waders are starting to stink too...

Last week I ordered a Danielson L5W 6 -9 weight. The reel was designed for salt water and hopefully will require minimal maintenance. Weight at 6.8 ounces seemed good to me. Maybe a new Air Flo cold salt Striper intermediate line. The one I have has to be about 5 years old and looks a bit worn.

Every time I decide that my quiver is full, I give into temptation again. I recently acquired a used Orvis Helios 10 wt, moving up from my go-to 7's and 8's, and now I "need" to buy a couple of lines for it. I have a couple of ancient Cortlands from the 1970's, but suspect I'll have to get something more modern.  

I have just about every conceivable base covered, freshwater, saltwater, inshore, offshore, fly, spin, cast, except for one...

This will be the year that I dive into two-handed fly rods and try to learn how to spey cast.  I'm closing in on "old timer" status, I think that I'm pretty knowledgeable about most aspects of fishing, but I know nothing about this.  I will be an absolute noob.  Looking forward to that & learning something new.

Now 2020 might be the year of the kite.  

Man, I wish I had the money you guys do to get all this juicy gear! I made the decision this morning that $50 for backing and a Skagit head wasn't something I could afford with the things I'll need later in this year like a reel for that 13/14wt, other expenses for other hobbies, etc. 

1 hour ago, RedGreen said:

Man, I wish I had the money you guys do to get all this juicy gear! 

I'm pretty lucky.

I work for a company that represents several manufacturers.

Every time I sell something, I claim it on their websites and they put money on a credit card they issue.

It is basically fun money that I use to cover all my fishing costs over a yearly basis. I haven't spent a dime out of my regular paycheck on fishing gear in years.....

SF

Nothing new for me in the New Year, unless something breaks.  Planning on refurbishing a 4 pc 8 wgt that I brought from Cabela's for a trip to Guam about 18 years ago.  I've ready stripped the guides and plan to replace them with the guides I prefer.  Might do a decorative rod wrap to cover the Cabela's label.  Need to make a new screw in fighting butt for my other two 8 wgts.   

19 hours ago, Bucko said:

Last week I ordered a Danielson L5W 6 -9 weight. The reel was designed for salt water and hopefully will require minimal maintenance. Weight at 6.8 ounces seemed good to me. Maybe a new Air Flo cold salt Striper intermediate line. The one I have has to be about 5 years old and looks a bit worn.

Bucks good luck with the new reel, I’m sure it wil serve you well.

A new reel deserves a new line and 5 years is a good run for the Air-flo. Still the best IMO.

I just finished up my radiation yesterday   and that is a welcome relief.

I just want to wish you and the family a Merry Christmas and a great 2019.

Dick

We can’t take it with us so might as well spend it on what gives us joy whilst we are still here.

Especially for guys like you and me who are of a certain age.

cheers

Mike