Suggestions on 9’ rod to pair with Penn Slammer 3 4500

Rate this topic

14 Squaw

I have mine paired with a Tica 9' TC2.  Model is UEHA427402S and is a 3/4 oz - 3 oz road and its actually a pretty incredible setup since the rod is on $90.  I've caught up to 15lb fish on it without an issue (it could go more, I just haven't caught a larger fish on it yet).  Super light, can fight the fish, but it lets you feel everything you plug is doing in the water.

If I was starting from scratch, and I had a couple more dollars, I would go with an ODM D.N.A.  Only because my 11' is a ODM Genesis and I really like that rod.  But truly, the Tica has never let me down and is a really great, bang for-the-buck rod.  With that said, any 9' moderate to moderate fast rod will work great with the 4500.

Another Vote for the tsunami airwave elite in 9'6" in medium.   I love my 1102m, but the airwave are not 50/50 in length taken apart.  It's closer to 65/35%.   The 9'6" is easier in little cars.  Good on 1oz bucktails and if you need to you can launch an A27 ava into outerspace with 30lb braid.   

Go with 20lb if you're  on the beach and bays mostly.  If you're in inlets or rocky beaches like RI, go with 30lb.

I'm new to braid, but like it alot.  Suffix 832 seems to be working fine for me.  30lb for surf, 50lb for inlets.  I bumped up to 30 instead of 20 because I fish RI, hudson river where I live, and a bit of NJ too.

I got a spinfisher SSV 6500 live liner and 560LL slammer for reels.  Theyre my surf reels, but next year i'll get a slammer 3 in 4500 like yours.

Edited by salt deficient

43 mins ago, 14 Squaw said:

Thanks for all the input and suggestions...much appreciated!  I think Santa May be bringing the 9’6” Airwave elite.  It’s in the sweet spot price wise and based on the feedback it should be great!  Thanks all...Merry Christmas!

You won't regret it, just received my 4500 from amazon today and mounted it up on the 9'6 elite, its gonna be a killer set up. Is it April yet?