14 Squaw

Suggestions on 9’ rod to pair with Penn Slammer 3 4500

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I’m looking for any suggestions on a 9 footer to pair with a Slammer 3 4500. I want something with some feel, to use for bucktails and plugs from beach...I don’t want a broomstick.  I want some backbone, but be able to feel what I’m doing.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated...thanks!

Either the 9ft 2 or 9 ft 6 Blackhole Striper series. I use the 9ft 2 one and slammer 4500 90 percent of the time. Casts beautiful has sensitive feel with a lot of power and the chameleon paint that changes color in the sun from purple to blue is amamzing.

First and foremost consider the action you want.

The best rod money can buy is useless without the proper action.

From what you described, you should be happy with a MHF rod (medium heavy fast action tip).

Edited by fshng2

I have a custom rainshadow fast action 8’10” rod that pairs great with that size reel rated 3/4 -3oz  top section very sensitive with back bone further down the rod . Feeling little taps or working a bucktail its perfect rod for that ! 

Aubut custom rods!

5 mins ago, shark lobster said:

I have a custom rainshadow fast action 8’10” rod that pairs great with that size reel rated 3/4 -3oz  top section very sensitive with back bone further down the rod . Feeling little taps or working a bucktail its perfect rod for that ! 

Aubut custom rods!

What was the model # on that blank? and is that a two piece? 

It is a one piece , i dont have that info now but will give it to you when i get home ! Chris builds this rod at 8’10” so it fits in most cars and suv , not a concern to me ! But might be for some people .

2 mins ago, shark lobster said:

It is a one piece , i dont have that info now but will give it to you when i get home ! Chris builds this rod at 8’10” so it fits in most cars and suv , not a concern to me ! But might be for some people .

I don't think an 8 foot rainshadow comes in two piece... I may purchase a two piece 9 footer and go with that... or trim it to 8'6. That fits in the suv for the trip to marathon in march... using it off the beach for Jacks, smaller black tips... and similar

52 mins ago, shark lobster said:

Aubut custom rods!