Fishin Technician

HOW DID YOU START YOUR FLY FISHING CAREER?

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

YOU GUYS made me fly fish.  I told my buddies from spain i would learn and thanks to the members here (too many to mention) i have had a fun two years learning how to fly fish.

thanks guys. 

Ok, maybe someone should start a new thread on what was the first  influential fishing / fly fishing book title and author that you still consider as your knowledge base for getting into this.

Regards,

FT 

First off what a great Thread started by Fishin Technician. I really enjoyed everyones stories.

I can remember as a 6 year old living in Stoneham, MA sitting on the floor with my white cowboy hat on watching Gababout Gaddis and Curt Gowdy on our small black and white TV. The next year my Parents would bring me to Stoddards in Boston almost every Saturday..... If I was good.  Next to going to Fenway Park,  50 Temple Place was the coolest place ever to me. The front of the store was a cutlery shop and up a few steps in back was the holly grail of fly fishing,  I just loved opening all those wooden drawers and seeing all the colorful fly tying materials hidden within. The best part of Stoddards was Ed Hawley. He was always dressed in a tweed sport coat and tie. Ed would always tie a fly for me as I watched in total amazement and the best part was it was mine to keep. The next year we moved to Reading and I discovered Sid Whites Sports and Hobbies in Reading Center. Sid smoked a pipe and was a very skilled fly fisherman and tyer that was kind enough to really get me started in Fly Fishing. A Six wt Cortland fiberglass Rod, Medalist reel and a Cortland 333 Floating DT Line was the first outfit. The Ipswich River in North Reading was my home water and my first hatchery trout was on a size 14 White Miller Dry Fly. I  remember multiple outings to the Malden Anglers Club pond in Saugus that Sid would take us to, what an awesome place and time to be a kid. These four class people are the reason for my passion with the fly rod.

BC

Edited by Black Clouser

Gaddis and Gowdy.....don't forget the Herter's' Catalogue that rivaled the big Sears and Montgomery Ward catalogues. The original Cabala's catalogue was the size of a paperback book but it contained everything for less than $20.00. Lures at 39 cents for a heddon river runt, even if it was $1.00 go figure. I still have some  wood crazy crawlers and  original hula poppers with new skirts of course...........

.!@#$%^& it !....I am going to fish them this year , if they are lost  to a big bass or pike I am sure that they will enjoy them as much as I in memories of losing them.

My first Cabala's order included a Johnson  Citation spin cast reel, an abu spin cast and my original Alcedo Micron plus a ton of lures for under $100 dollars. I had my first part time job at the moment and outfitted my younger brother and father in decent tackle  at their level and time. The green Johnson reel is still around after 9  grandkids  and a  bunch of  neighbors kids plus  including a lot of dirt and sand.

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician

Blk CLser,

Your compliment is appreciated.

But we all have great history to pass on and we should  because of both  knowledge and comedy.

FT

Edited by Fishin Technician

My best friend was a blacksmith and moved to the Catskills for a job. I would go up and spend the weekends with him at his shop. Behind his shop was a creek where we would hang out and I was always seeing fish go by. I talked to a guy at a local tackle shop for some info and he set me up with a Martin starter kit and a license. I always had a great time teasing trout out of that creek. 

I grew up in the 60’s watching Gadabout Gaddis The Flying Fisherman and The American Sportsman.  I always wanted to fly fish, but didn’t get a chance to start until I was 24.   Never looked back though.