Fishin Technician

HOW DID YOU START YOUR FLY FISHING CAREER?

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

Tying ugly little creations on worm hooks with my grandmother’s sewing kit and my grandfather’s visegrips, feeding my “flies” to native New Hampshire brookies (and a few pickerel frogs) with a spinning rod.

As a rodbuilder I built a 8wt on speculation hoping one of my club-members would snap it up. Everyone loved it but no one stepped up for the purchase. After it sat on the rack all spring I figured what the heck and took it along one trip. First day I landed three Stripers and after bragging to my buddies found out one of them had set me up by getting the bunch to agree not to buy the rod so I would take up FlyRodding. It worked.

Lived, due to a crazy set of circumstances, for a year in Aspen CO when I was in 5th grade.  Saw the locals fly fishing and begged until dad took me to Chuck Fothergill's and bought me what I think was an Orvis starter set up.  Fished it hard that year, moved back to Florida and forgot about fly fishing until 2009 when I saw some dudes coming off Jamaica Bay with fly rods.  Asked what they were targeting and that was that.

Edited by Oakman

I was introduced to fly fishing in the mid 1970's, in NW Tennessee.   A friend and I went out to fish a professor's farm pond and he showed up with a fly rod.  I forgot about it for 15 or so years.  I been fishing spin tackle my whole life and had worked myself down to fishing ultra light gear.  That seemed to be the limit you could take spin fishing to.  I'd been building my own rods for several years, so I built myself a fly rod and it went downhill from there.  It took a couple of years for me to leave my freshwater spinning tackle home when I went out and the same when I took up salt water fly fishing.  Still occasionally devolve to fishing spinning gear but 99% of the time I fly fish.

Best fishing buddy took a trip to Montana and raved about fly fishing.

This was his first experience at it. I got a outfit the next week and we went at it hard and heavy.

My first fish was a Lahontan Cutthroat caught from shore on a black woolly bugger on Lake Lenore.

I was wearing hip boots, I got soaked and froze my ass off but it was fun as heck.

37 years ago but it seems like yesterday.

Damn time flies.....

SF

My girlfriend (at that time) questioned her father as to whether or not my going out for stripes in the AM after our dates could possibly be considered normal for some fisherman...lol. Shortly there after he gave me a fly setup, and requested I might try playing around with it sometime. I had been fishing almost since I could walk, but never was graced with a opportunity to throw a fly. Needless to say thirty years late that girl and i are still married, and I consider her father's gift a seminal moment in my life. 

Mostly due to the outdoor writer Joe Brooks. I read everything I could that he wrote and of course other writers of the day who wrote about anything fly fishing related. His articles about fly fishing & tying are what got me first interested in tying flies and then fly fishing. I particularly liked to see the photo's of all the different flies! I started tying in 1966 at age 11, and got my first fly outfit about a year later. It was a Cortland fiberglass 8 wt outfit with single action reel and level fly line. My dad wasn't a fly fisher, but he bought it for me anyway thru one of the mail order houses. I caught a lot of fish with that outfit. 

Joe Brooks wrote for Outdoor Life magazine back then. There weren't any fly fishing magazines so I eagerly awaited each month's issue to read about whatever fly fishing topic he had selected for that month. When I read he had passed away, it was like losing a best friend and I sat down & cried! 

I was a kid, loved to fish and liked doing things with my hands and after all these years still do!

Thank you Mr. Joe Brooks!  :howdy:

Edited by tidewaterfly

Saw a picture of a guy fly fishing (Nymphs) when  I was about ten in a little pamphlet, was obsessed with learning FF, Bought my first Bamboo Crappie rod(10yrs old) and tied some some FFline on it, had no idea wahat  I was doing but started to cast(Whip line ) , 1 yrs later or sooner my Father saw my interest and bought a starter Kit from some Box store. @12 yrs old my Father bought my first fly rod from an Orvis store in Lake Placid(NY) along with $70 worth of FF equipt. Approx value $130. By the time I was 14 I was just a Monster, just trying to learn, Still learning 40 yrs later, just cant get enough, trying to show so many about FF , Didn't realize the very educated fisherman (women ) I had been fishing with along with Francis Betters Daughter, Eric Leisure, (age 14) and others until later. Sic passion , What I taught my self without knowing at an early age fishing for Creek Chubs and Panfish along with tying has never stopped, 40 yrs later, Still dont know ****, but do it every year.

sc1.jpg

Copy of IMG_0428[1].JPG

IMG_0557[1].JPG

Hi

Started at the age of nine. I had an uncle who fished the River Coquet in Northumberland, England. I would join him for weekends, trout fishing with wee spinners or mepps. He often used the fly which fascinated me. Sadly  he had a stroke and could not fish anymore . The following christmas he gave me a fly rod and reel and his old fly tying kit and books. That was it!

I still have the rod and reel , books and  kit. My eldest son inherited my uncle's old Hardy fly rod and reel and spinning rods when he died a year or so back. Keepin it going!

Jim

The first picture of me with a fly rod is a little over two years old- granted, I was fishing a bobber with a worm.  My dad made me a bamboo rod when I was 7- I fished a lot, but not obsessively- that started at age 17.

I quit drinking in 2017, so now I fish.  Yesterday was 179  for 2018.  I think I will learn how to Czech nymph this winter- I haven't bought a rod in months.

A guy gave my Dad a fly rod for me when I was 12, had no idea what it was. Couldn't keep a seaworm on the hook and the floating line kept me out of the reach of flounder, so that was year one. The next year I saw a picture of a fly so I "tied" one on a snelled flounder hook connected to the line with about a dozen overhand knots. Finally got a tinker mackerel and that was it. Didn't catch a freshwater fish on a fly for at least 10 years, we lived on the ocean so it never occured to me to try it....

Caught the bug from my Dad.  We fish out of the canoe me with worms and him with a fly rod.  That looked way more fun so I caught the bug.  First fly rod I bought was an ugly stick from SPAGS in Worcester MA, many, many years ago.

Cabo

My uncle brought me to the Marlborough show a couple years ago and i got to talking to the guy who started Allen. Ended up buying a setup from those guys and havnt put down a rod since. I took up fly tying the following winter. 

But the reason i was even interested in going to the Marlborough show was because of Peter Laurellis (Ambergris) videos. 

My Uncle would always book our camping trips around good fly fishing, My and my dad would use spinning rods and my uncle attempted to teach my flycasting at the campground, he would sit at the campsite at night at the vice and tie up some flys for the following day. I would go home and try to imitate what he tied using sewing thread and feathers from a Kids (native american hat) then skip forward 20 years and a guy I met at the beach talked about saltwater fly fishing, sparked my curiosity and went full throttle into saltwater fly fishing for bass. so much would hardly pick up a spinning rod, tied fly every opportunity i got, did some kool camping trips to the cape etc.. I've slowed down a bit since but still love to flyfish