Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
waterweasle

Xmas gulf coast trip

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Sanibel and captiva I don’t fish either place. I haven’t been to ding darling in well over a year because of the red tide. Red tide is still an issue from time to time because of wind direction. It’s winter and the water temps have come down its sheepshead and black drum time. 

I’m fishing Estero bay by kayak. Been staying away for the open part of the bay, winds have been one problem but people I’ve spoken to aren’t seeing the fish around the islands. Mound key has not been producing and normally it’s a good place for snook. The grass south and east of mound used to produce trout but the grass is not doing good. 

I’m sticking inside the mangrove areas. One week the fish chew the next they don’t much. Our temps haven’t been very steady recently, we get a couple cool days and then right back in the heat. It’s hit and miss. You’ll get mangrove snapper if nothing else. I didn’t get out this weekend or I’d let you know how it’s been. 

From CC if you want to fish a bridge go to Matlacha and fish the main bridge. You can rent a kayak at Gulf Coast kayak and book a trip there with a guide. It’s not expensive at all. 

Take a look at the red tide charts too. Right now Sanibel has high concentrations. Once the winds go out of the west, north west all bets are off and the area it affects can grow. 

If your plans are Flexible and  want to try some thing different Look at Big Bend area  N from Spring Hill on Hwy #19 to Cedar Key  this area  Has not been effected by Red Tide, not much shore line fishing but boats rentals, Guides are available, Old Homosassa is the real Fl, Massive oak loaded with Spanish Moss cover some roads,  rent Yak, Pontoon Boats (No qualifications required) Very small villages , Truly laid back, Not a T shirt / Sandal mecca,

The Red Tide does cause problems into areas with out massive fish kill as the belief is out there that entire west coast  is dealing with the Red Tide

Visitors cancel trips, Motels ,Café,  Boat Rental, guides, tackle shops all are impacted even some distance from hard hit areas

Manatees will soon be arriving in Three Sisters springs and Homosassa Springs ,come swim with these gentle giants  (Water Temp in Springs is 72 every day all yearlong ) there will be approx. 325 350 in Three Sisters springs and couple hundred in Homosassa springs totally Harmless